by f4b706ea4e2411e6

Original Post

Re: Red Alert 2 Resolution Issue

★★★ Newbie

Fixed the issue with slowness. thanks

Message 11 of 16 (1,856 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@CTerekhov After doing that, now the only thing shows on the screen is the mouse cursor, everything else turned black. ahhahaah
Message 12 of 16 (1,704 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

After trying so many things eventually got rid of the issue by updating the display card adapter driver.

Message 13 of 16 (1,525 Views)

Hero
@CTerekhov That seems like a bad idea; as far as I know, 640x480 is below the game's minimum required resolution.

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.
Message 14 of 16 (1,304 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Sharing how I made it work on my setup (windows 11, rtx4080, 3840x2160 windows res)

1. Modify RA2.ini file (in my installation it is located in C:\Program Files\EA Games\Command and Conquer Red Alert II) and replaced all lines under [Video] with

ScreenHeight=1080
ScreenWidth=1920
AllowHiResModes=yes
VideoBackBuffer=no

In order to do this I first had to modify the file access policy given it was readonly for my user. 

• Right click file, go to properties
  • Click the `Security` tab
  • Click `Edit` to modify access permissions (a new windows appear with all users and their permits)
  • Click `Users (MY_COMPUTER_NAME/Users)` (Note that MY_COMPUTER_NAME will have the actual name of your PC or possibly a random string if you didn't define one when you installed windows)
  • Click on the checkbox under `Allow` for the row `Full Control`
  • Click `OK` until everyhing is closed, you can now edit the RA2.ini file

2. We need to modify to more settings related to the game compatibility. For this we will go to,

• Right click the RA2.EXE file (the app this time, not the cfg file) and go to properties
  • Click on the `Compatibility` tab. Options may be grayed out because of permissions, if not you can skip next step
  • Click on `Change settings for all users`, a new window appears

3. Adjust DPI scaling settings

• Click on `Change high DPI settings`
  • Click on `High DPI scalling override` (this will enable the dropdown menu)
  • Select `Application`
  • Click `OK` to close this window

4. Set game compatibility mode to Windows XP

• Under the compatiblity mode section (again, this is happening on the window we opened on step #2) click the dropdown menu and select `Windows XP (Service Pack 2)`
  • Click `OK` to close this and other windows

This _exact_ step by step worked for me. I haven't tried to run Yuris yet but I reckon it would be just a matter of re running steps 2 thru 4 on the Yuri's EXE file.

Hope this helps !! Like and subscribe if it did !! (??)

Message 15 of 16 (923 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@redshank Nowadays, we usually just install the CnCNet launcher to fix RA2/YR. It's technically meant for online play, but it applies a bunch of automatic fixes that make the game work well without needing any compatibility modes or settings, and those fixes also affect the normal singleplayer game.

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.
Message 16 of 16 (909 Views)