Red Alert 2 FPS problem

by A_GiiNGER_Kid

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Red Alert 2 FPS problem

★★★ Newbie

After purchasing Red Alert 2 & Yuris revenge a booting it up on my Windows10 32bit OS, I ran into an immediate in game problem. The FPS runs at 1 and continues like this despite playing with several different graphics options. Graphics drivers are up to date, could it be a DirectX problem?

Message 1 of 15 (56,098 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Red Alert 2 FPS problem

[ Edited ]
Hero

@A_GiiNGER_Kid

There are a bunch of things you can do to make RA2 run better...

• Go to the game folder, and make sure all programs (RA2.exe, game.exe, Yuri.exe, RA2MD.exe, gamemd.exe) are set to run as administrator, and in WinXP SP3 compatibility mode.
  • Also in the game folder, open RA2.ini (RA2MD.ini for Yuri's Revenge), find the [Video] section and set the option "VideoBackBuffer" below it to "no". If it's not there, add it (as "VideoBackBuffer=no").
  • In the Origin client program, open the game properties and check the box to disable Origin In Game.
  • The graphics system patch DDWrapper is known to solve some graphics issues on RA2. It might help here too. Download the zip file and extract "ddraw.dll" and "aqrit.cfg" into your game folder. Then, open the configuration file "aqrit.cfg" in Notepad, change the "ForceDirectDrawEmulation" option to 1, save the file, and the game should work.

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.

View in thread

Message 2 of 15 (56,054 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
Hero

@A_GiiNGER_Kid

There are a bunch of things you can do to make RA2 run better...

• Go to the game folder, and make sure all programs (RA2.exe, game.exe, Yuri.exe, RA2MD.exe, gamemd.exe) are set to run as administrator, and in WinXP SP3 compatibility mode.
  • Also in the game folder, open RA2.ini (RA2MD.ini for Yuri's Revenge), find the [Video] section and set the option "VideoBackBuffer" below it to "no". If it's not there, add it (as "VideoBackBuffer=no").
  • In the Origin client program, open the game properties and check the box to disable Origin In Game.
  • The graphics system patch DDWrapper is known to solve some graphics issues on RA2. It might help here too. Download the zip file and extract "ddraw.dll" and "aqrit.cfg" into your game folder. Then, open the configuration file "aqrit.cfg" in Notepad, change the "ForceDirectDrawEmulation" option to 1, save the file, and the game should work.

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.
Message 2 of 15 (56,055 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Hi,

had the same problem but the first 3 points solved the problem for me.
Thanks for the help @Nyerguds

Greetz

Real_Cabal

Message 3 of 15 (55,092 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@Nyerguds for your first point, I try to run them as administrator but i get an error saying "Missing required file 'ssleay32.dll' ". What does this mean
Message 4 of 15 (49,696 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Guide

Do you also get that error when you don't run the games as administrator? Do you also get this error when you remove all mods for the game? Make sure you run the game directly by running RA2.exe. Does then the error still pop up? It could also have been that your anti-virus software deleted this file (false positive). Please temporary disable all anti-virus software, re-install RA2, try to run it and see if the game runs well and then turn on your anti-virus software. After that try to run RA2 again. Does this fix your problem? Can you report about everything I told you to see if any of these steps make the game run well? 

Message 5 of 15 (49,687 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie
@Nyerguds Thanks, the first three steps did the job for me!
Message 6 of 15 (45,475 Views)

★★★ Novice
@Nyerguds I had a similar issue with very slow frame rate running on Windows 10 and couldn't even increase the resolution via the options menu above the default without the screen glitching out.

Editing the resolution and adding the "VideoBackBuffer=no" line in the RA2.INI did the trick for me.

Cheers Nyerguds!
Message 7 of 15 (42,196 Views)

★★ Novice

First three was enough for me! Standard smile

Thanks!

Message 8 of 15 (34,461 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

Did everything in the first two bullet points and it worked.  Thank-you.

Message 9 of 15 (32,728 Views)

★★ Novice

I just tested all of these and found out that if you have a 300hz display the last option works. Even tho this was posted years ago, still works today.

Message 10 of 15 (32,445 Views)