Re: C&C Generals will not launch from the EA App

by magoud2016

Original Post

C&C Generals will not launch from the EA App

★★ Novice

I am having issues since I was forced on to the EA APP. everything was fine on Origin but since moving to the EA APP Generals fails to launch.

It will install no problem but when I click play it says "Hold up, this game needs permissions.  This game requires administrative privileges.  Do you want to grant access and launch game?"

When I click OK the EA APP minimises and then after about 5 seconds re-appears.  I never get access to the Generals launcher, where you choose between Generals and Generals Zero Hour

The Generals launcher, where you choose which version, is set to Admin rights mode as are both games but nothing loads, even when I launch from the Generals .exe files, when I do that it launches EA APP and I am back in the loop.  Also launching the EA App with admin rights.

Any ideas?  I haven't been able to play Generals since early march and the only change is Origin to EA APP. 

I have been round in circles with EA support and apparently posting in here is the way to get the "Known bug" fixed.

Message 1 of 6 (4,060 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

I had the same issue and user with the name STARJEKKER made a fix that worked for me just follow this steps:

First, try to install the game as before, and when you get the error in the EA App, leave it as "paused", don't cancel it.

Then, open command prompt as administrator, which I think you did.

Next, type the following, but don't press enter until you've typed it all in:

cd C:\Program Files\EA Games\Command and Conquer Generals Zero Hour\__Installer

You can copy this and paste it by right-clicking in the command prompt.

If you did it right, it should either change the directory, or give the following error. If you get this error, then the install path is not correct, or it wasn't typed properly.

The system cannot find the path specified.

If you get the error that "C:\program is not recognized..." then the command was missing the "cd" before it.

If it worked right, then the next line should read:

C:\Program Files\EA Games\Command and Conquer Generals Zero Hour\__Installer>

Then, copy and paste the following, but again, put it all in before pressing enter:

touchup.exe install -locale en_US -installPath "C:\Program Files\EA Games\Command and Conquer Generals Zero Hour" -autologging

If your locale is not en_US, you may have to change it, otherwise this should work. Then you just resume the download in the EA App and it will finish the installation.

After the game installs run repair again one more time then lunch the game .

Message 2 of 6 (3,840 Views)

★★ Novice

Followed your instructions and it worked! C&C: Zero Hour installed but now I can't launch the game.  It says there is an error on their end and I am supposed to try again later.  I was literally playing the game 3 days ago and it suddenly stopped working and now despite having 64 hours logged on the game I suddenly can't play it.  Does this make any sense?

Message 3 of 6 (3,114 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

iam having the same proplem here i wont understand why

Message 4 of 6 (2,458 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

it's free and totally legal here:

[Link removed]

install is automatic.

Message 5 of 6 (2,414 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@KASSKRANE51 That is not legal at all.

I admit, there is no French version of the C&C Ultimate Collection on the EA app, which indeed makes the French version "abandonware"... but abandonware is not freeware. It is not legal. All it means is that the game cannot be purchased anywhere anymore.

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.
Message 6 of 6 (2,368 Views)