Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Colossus Needs a Rework

by crackdownjr

Original Post

Re: Colossus Needs a Rework

★★★★ Novice

Firing with deployed shield:  using correct abilities you can activate shoulder cannon and it will fire while shield is out. (Cant remember name of it, it's a detonator)

However, if you have shield out and are trying to dps at same time you're getting away from a tank agro grabbing theme.

During demo, I was running on average 27 health bars...  compared to group members some had 5-10 and the shields obviously.  

We did a stronghold run and they stayed back and let me solo the entire thing on my colossus. (Flamethrower/conduit(?)) Build was fire (primer), shock (detonate).  Didnt go down one time and only time anyone dis anything was at final boss below 5% health they all jumped in because it was obvious I would win.

Anthem tanking: grab agro with taunt, then lay waste to the enemy.  Shield should only be really needed to block large hits (snipers, missile turrets, etc.).  With bonus health drop items as long as your killing enemy mobs you're healing up and staying alive just fine.

Where players run into trouble is when they try to do medal of honor runs or are trying to play the game different then it was designed as.

Message 81 of 152 (461 Views)

★★ Guide
Seems like everyone who prefers the Colossus as is are people who enjoy the challenge of it or just like the shift in playstyle from the other 3. You guys aren't really looking at the bigger picture. Also you must not have read the whole original post. I never said it needs a buff or that there is no way to have success with it. There's a reason I specified "rework".

Anything the Colossus can do, the other 3 can do better. So if you found yourself dominating as the Colossus, even if you outshined your teammates, you would have the potential to do more as any other javelin if played with the same skill and precision.

Once the game drops I don't see myself playing much as the Colossus if at all until they fix it on a fundamental level. Any time spent playing it would only be reference experience to help the devs figure out what needs adjustment and I think this thread already gives plenty of good ideas.
Message 82 of 152 (453 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

Actually, I don’t think I COULD play any of the others with the same skill and precision. But some of the posts in this thread have convinced me he could use a tweak to be more flexible and not have such a narrow playstyle.

Message 83 of 152 (446 Views)

★ Apprentice

@Raddecious wrote:

Firing with deployed shield:  using correct abilities you can activate shoulder cannon and it will fire while shield is out. (Cant remember name of it, it's a detonator)

However, if you have shield out and are trying to dps at same time you're getting away from a tank agro grabbing theme.

During demo, I was running on average 27 health bars...  compared to group members some had 5-10 and the shields obviously.  

We did a stronghold run and they stayed back and let me solo the entire thing on my colossus. (Flamethrower/conduit(?)) Build was fire (primer), shock (detonate).  Didnt go down one time and only time anyone dis anything was at final boss below 5% health they all jumped in because it was obvious I would win.

Anthem tanking: grab agro with taunt, then lay waste to the enemy.  Shield should only be really needed to block large hits (snipers, missile turrets, etc.).  With bonus health drop items as long as your killing enemy mobs you're healing up and staying alive just fine.

Where players run into trouble is when they try to do medal of honor runs or are trying to play the game different then it was designed as.

Yeah this is the same build pretty much everyone was rocking. That is because of the shoulder mount that allows you to be more useful with those detonators.  This build is particular good on that stronghold.  I don't think it would be as useful on any other content with other enemy types. It was great because of the bugs and fire.  If it was an outlaw or dominion stronghold, i doubt even that build would work well.

That said, I am loving the Colossus.  My second favorite. I spent 2 days in VIP with storm then colossus think the other electric attack should work the same as the coil so you can just trigger it and let it go. I think some new abilities that work similar would be nice as well.  I'm guessing you didn't solo it on hard that way though. I ran the stronghold at least 50 times and while i kicked some butt with that build those hunters with the shields were pretty nasty even with all the life.

Message 84 of 152 (439 Views)

★ Apprentice

@crackdownjr wrote:
Seems like everyone who prefers the Colossus as is are people who enjoy the challenge of it or just like the shift in playstyle from the other 3. You guys aren't really looking at the bigger picture. Also you must not have read the whole original post. I never said it needs a buff or that there is no way to have success with it. There's a reason I specified "rework".

Anything the Colossus can do, the other 3 can do better. So if you found yourself dominating as the Colossus, even if you outshined your teammates, you would have the potential to do more as any other javelin if played with the same skill and precision.

Once the game drops I don't see myself playing much as the Colossus if at all until they fix it on a fundamental level. Any time spent playing it would only be reference experience to help the devs figure out what needs adjustment and I think this thread already gives plenty of good ideas.

Yep. Storm and Ranger are pretty awesome. I only played the colossus because i was grinding for firewall mortor.  I was guessing it would light up the boss in the stronghold and i was right. I could fire prime him every time with firewall. It took me Sunday of vip demo plus all week-end playing to get that one skill to drop. 

One thing i would say though, is with pick up radius and health drop % on your gear, i was able to keep my health up a fair bit even when i played around with lesser effective builds. Also the pull shield, double jump with Col is pretty good (a gimped dodge).  The other classes can just poof out and let shield regen and generally are just all around better.   The only build that felt super powerful was lightning coil/flame thrower again armored/no shield targets/bugs.  It also helped to use consumables to up fire/lightning damage. 

I don't really know how it played on normal though. I played everything on hard. Storm was a beast. 

After playing it so much, i am ok without it having a regular shield, but do think the gear should be usable with shield up. Having your shield get depleted punishes you anyway so it's not that OP either way. 

Message 85 of 152 (436 Views)

★ Apprentice

@PurpleHairMcgoo wrote:
This may sound rude but, is it just me or are all the people complaining the colossus is too weak or needs a re-work etc, all ones that refuse to adapt a playstyle that works with it and instead beg that it becomes an unkillable god.

Nope. I played it and had to adapt. I had a really hard time at first and did think it needed a shield but i'm less inclined to believe that after so many hours playing as on.  I do think when the full game comes out others will be notice some of this too though. As soon as more content comes out where your fighting enemies that are more problematic for the big guy. 

OP has a point for sure. It's the same one that many insiders also said, and they have seen more of the game then any one else.  I don't think it needs any major huge changes, because i think it would break the feel of the javalin. That over the shoulder being able to be used for sure would help. The other lightning ability able to be used similar to shock coil (as in set it and let you use primary weapons/shield and so on would certainly help and wouldn't break it.  The support with shield out would also be useful.  I found myself kicking that off and the animation took so long i would get peppered before i could put my shield up and get to cover. It seemed worse if i had my shield out already though. So that could have just been me screwing up. 

Message 86 of 152 (436 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

The problem with the Colossus as far as I'm concerned isn't that it's weak. It's actually super strong, but you have to play it in a very boring way to get the most out of it. Trying to conserve health is pointless, instead you have to aggressively go after health drops. which are abundant and easy to get as long as you engage enemies up close. You can also completely forget about guns, your slam attack is by far the most powerful thing you have, since it's a CC, an AoE, a detonator, and also does a ton of damage. The only problem is that it's just awkward to spam it, having to jump up next to a guy over and over just so you can slam down for more damage and keep him grounded. It's not fluid and it's not fun. The abilities are also extremely unbalanced, getting pigeonholed into just combo chaining with flamer/coil instead of getting to bust out all that sweet artillery is a letdown. 

I think they do need to make some changes to the Colossus to make it really fun, because once you figure out that every single health drop is like a whole other Javelin worth of hitpoints on a Colossus and you abuse the hell out of that you realize that you get more health than you know what to do with, you're just locked into a very repetitive low skill playstyle. 

Message 87 of 152 (426 Views)

★★★★ Novice

@Shaddoll23 wrote:
It’s not useless at all. It can put out the most damage for the team and take a beating. If you are playing it right you want die. If you are trying to play it like a tank of the holy trinity. You are playing it wrong. I think a overshield would be good for it. But outside that. The class is amazing

This! I want to see my Colossus decked with full rare 19 items to go down even in Stronghold. Actually I am the one who ressing others lol. Colossus is beast! Long live the Big Bad Boi Standard smile

Message 88 of 152 (412 Views)

★★★★ Novice
you got it all wrong colosus can steamroll over target with his shield he as the strongest crowd control and melle attack wich is a combo detonator wich make him uber strong in many situation https://youtu.be/la6NLjzgGRI
Message 89 of 152 (409 Views)

★★★★ Novice

honestly, no clue...

didn't get to play much, but what i played with the colossus was rather enjoyable as soon as i started using the shield more like a short time block. but of course this was only on normal, so whatever that might be worth.

could easily absorb 2-3 hit/fireballs from the 3 lesser ash titans in the demo

it would be kinda boring if you were force down the route of flame thrower / lightning coil... but then again, i would think that perma invul face tank would be boring ...

maybe allowing pistols and smgs to be used while the shield is up would freshen things up... but as i said... i don't want to hide behind the shild all day.

so for me as a casual player during the demo it worked fine, but i can see how people are concerned.

Message 90 of 152 (465 Views)

fifa-18-promo-circle

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

all-ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help