Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Colossus Needs a Rework

by crackdownjr

Original Post

Re: Colossus Needs a Rework

★★★★ Novice
i have colossus on max in demo...and its favorite one...huge , he does not need shield and not even dodge because he has classic shield ...absolutelz devastating machine...i cant withstand everzthing other does and much more ...no rework needed
Message 31 of 152 (467 Views)

★★★★ Novice

The default support gear is an aggro draw, if that’s not a “tank” idk what is. The problem with that ability is that it’s  not rewarding AT ALL to draw aggro as a colossus. You might as well have your javelin shout “kill me!” The second ability shield pulse gives everyone but you more shield durability, I say not the colossus because unless his shield is out the buff doesn’t apply. That’s means to take advantage of your own buff you aren’t shooting anything, every other javelin carries on as usual. 

The shock coil flame thrower build is fine in the hard mode strong hold because all you’re doing is shooting bugs who don’t really shoot you. Every colossus highlight video that advocates it’s “power” just shows killing bugs, why? Because they don’t shoot you. If you are playing content on hard I guarantee majority of the colossus were not in the thick of the fights on the sections with scar snipers and elites. Your shield gets shredded and then your stuck with permanent damage. 

There NEEDS to be either a way for colossus to regenerate health OR create periods of severely reduced damage 

Message 32 of 152 (505 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

I sincerely hope the devs don't take any suggestions seriously from people that don't know how to play the Colossus. The thing is an absolute beast as it is and does't need to be changed. Don't blame the Colossus for your inability to pilot it effectively.

The components are bugged though, it's possible people are having that issue and that is why they're claiming the Colossus is too squishy. But here's the deal, with no components my Colossus has 12 pips of health. With 1 rare pwr19 structural reenforcement it has 32 pips. With 2 rare pwr19 structural reenforcememts it has 47 pips of health. Getting hit by a sniper in the stronghold on Hard barely scratches my Colossus with 2 components, it takes like 5% hp away if I decide not to take the hit in the shield. A hovering Storm doesn't even come close to outlasting the Colossus if your components aren't bugged. On top of that the Colossus jump melee knocks down nearly every enemy that can survive more than the first strike. And yes, that includes legendary shielded enemies that so many people playing the Colossus are complaining about. You can even stagger the four legged war mech making it unable to fight back (I forgot its name).

Message 33 of 152 (504 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro

@crackdownjr wrote:

IMG_20190201_164235_808.jpgThis is something that needs to be discussed because it's unfortunate that one of four javelins is basically useless. I know there are plenty of Colossus fans who will disagree, but let's just look into the facts before we open up this discussion.

Let's take a look at the other 3 javelins:
1. All have a naturally occurring spherical shield that blocks incoming damage from all directions
2. All have the ability to dodge to avoid damage
3. All have the ability to both attack and dodge while their shield is up

Now let's take a look at the Colossus:
1. No natural spherical shield
2. No ability to dodge to avoid damage
3. Deployable shield takes place of dodge function, only blocks damage in one direction
4. No ability to attack while shielding

Now I understand that with better equipment, components, etc the javelins health and shields can potentially be massive, but it's hp pool will have to get pretty damn high to compete with the other javelins. The only hope for the Colossus as of now is that items at higher levels/rarity will make it unkillable. Plus a base hp/shield boost to make it an actual tank at early levels too.

The survivability of every other javelin far outshines the Colossus and that doesn't even take into account their ability to apply constant damage while surviving. At the very least the Colossus needs the ability to attack while shielding. I'm struggling to come up even one good reason why anyone should play the Colossus over any other javelin besides "I like it" or "it looks cool" or "it can charge into things". I'm begging for you guys to tell me.

Lastly, I won't say it's completely useless. Any javelin can be viable with sufficient items/leveling/skill. But the Colossus simply pales in comparison to the competition.

(Pictured: Donatello Colossus I created back 

when I was excited to play it)

EDIT: I'm adding some solutions that could help balance the Colossus and possibly put it on the same tier as the others

1. Add an overshield like the others, making the hand shield an added means of absorbing damage, much like dodging for the others is a means of avoiding damage. With this they wouldn't need suggestions 2 or 3 because the shield would be used for added protection, as opposed to being required for basic survival as it is now.

2. Raise hp and/or rate of hp recovery

3. Ability to shoot and use equipment while holding shield

Wow, did you see that, I swear man it's deja vu. The colossus is fine, you just need to come to grips with how to play it. As someone has already said, it is not a tank and in my opinion you cannot have traditional mmo roles in a looter/shooter anyway.

Message 34 of 152 (496 Views)

★★ Pro

@USA_v_Canada wrote:

@Aedensin wrote:

Since my comment was apparently deleted, I'll say it again.

While I agree with the Colossus frontal shield being annoying and should be a 360 degree buff with the front being the strongest, I disagree with most of your points.

First, at 870 health and 348 armor, My Colossus has far more survivability than any other Javelin I have access to, the only one that can come close is the Storm with the hover bubble.

I have only been downed once in the Colossus, and that was while face tanking an entire stronghold while repairing an ally Storm that had his bubble popped after the rest of the squad abandoned game. I survive by throwing up my shield and smashing every Scar/Scorpion I see while absorbing the health motes they drop and holding their attention in 

Shut up man, downed once my *. Everyone is telling you Colossus needs a rework stop defending with your lies. You are not a pro gamer you are a noob to this game like everyone else stop saying you mastered Colossus tool

"Everyone"? I must have missed that email from you asking me about it, hands up all those that did get it. "Lies"? Well you have been caught out in one already so it seems a bit immature to get on the forums and insult others by claiming they're lying simply because they don't share your opinion.

Seriously, no place on the forums for people with your kind of mentality, in my opinion anyway. If you cant handle discussions go write a blog.

Message 35 of 152 (492 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

I appreciate all the feedback from you guys thus far. FYI to all involved, I have put in plenty of time as the colossus and have done multiple runs through stronghold/hard. At the end of the day people are going to find a way to be successful with a flawed class, just like any other game. If you throw the right gear on it, have the right teammates who coordinate their attacks perfectly, or the right scenarios play out you can find success. My basic gripe is with the fundamental playstyle of the Colossus and what I foresee in the final product. 

First of all, let's call it what it is. The Colossus IS a tank. It has components that add massive hp and it relies on those and/or moving through crowds of enemies to pick up health drops to survive. It's big and slow, and doesn't have a dodge ability, meaning it is literally forced to "tank" enemy fire rather than avoid it. This gives the Colossus only one real playstyle, unlike the others who have the ability to switch it up with their kits.

It would make more sense to me for it to have a shield like the other javelins and for the hand shield to be a true replacement for the dodge ability as a supplement to your natural shield. This would allow for a more natural feeling tank and for the devs to scale back the hp on the Colossus components so that the Colossus doesn't go from feeling a class below at lower levels to OP late game. This would also reinforce the notion of multiple playstyles as you could sit back and act like a giant agent of explosive destruction, launching projectiles into crowds, snipers and those pesky shielded enemies without watching your hp melt away while your shield isn't out. Or you could charge into the enemy, hand shield out, and be a true tank,

I'd think those who have put in as many hours as I have into the Colossus would understand, but then again I'll admit that most who put in that much time as the Colossus probably haven't also put as much time into the other javelins as I have. This is what gives me perspective on it's place among the others. This discussion is also giving me and hopefully others perspective on the Colossus' potential. I'm excited for what the final product has in store.

EDIT: Please no attacks on others, this is just a discussion

Message 36 of 152 (491 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

it´s not useless... it´s actually one of the strongest of all javelins, you just have to know how to play him since he plays different than the others.

I run totally rampant with him and outplay all the others with damage.... shield up, sprint into mass mobs use a tesla, shield bash or jump+stomp and be happy.
If you take a beating, shield up, run in, kill severall mobs with one stomp... after that you´re full health again because you pick up all the healing... and you shield recharges ridiculous fast once you put it down for a second.

As you see he is a close range fighter and mostly fights in melee range and often uses melee.
the weapons you choose are usually a sniper for longrange/boss and a grenadelauncher for addwaves during bossfights

Message 37 of 152 (464 Views)

★★ Pro

@MjNaise wrote:

it´s not useless... it´s actually one of the strongest of all javelins, you just have to know how to play him since he plays different than the others.

I run totally rampant with him and outplay all the others with damage.... shield up, sprint into mass mobs use a tesla, shield bash or jump+stomp and be happy.
If you take a beating, shield up, run in, kill severall mobs with one stomp... after that you´re full health again because you pick up all the healing... and you shield recharges ridiculous fast once you put it down for a second.

As you see he is a close range fighter and mostly fights in melee range and often uses melee.
the weapons you choose are usually a sniper for longrange/boss and a grenadelauncher for addwaves during bossfights

Its like I'm reading a post from myself under a different pseudonym, awesome.

Message 38 of 152 (442 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

The Colossus isn't really weak if you play it right, but it is kind of boring because it gets pigeonholed into a very specific play style because of the way it's health works.

Because it has no natural healing or way to mitigate damage while it's attacking it is completely dependent on picking up health drops, this forces the colossus to engage targets up close, because it's actually safer for you in the middle of a giant pile of enemies where health drops happen left and right than at a distance where enemies can wear you down. 

The colossus also has an insanely powerful slam attack that can be spammed every 3 seconds or so, which stuns enemies, detonates combos, and hits for a massive amount of damage. Again, this forces you to play a certain way though, because once you are up close to a target the best way to kill that target is to jump up and slam over and over and over. Kind of boring. 

So, the problem with the Colossus as far as I'm concerned isn't that it's weak, it's that it's only strong when you play in a very repetitive and boring way, which is basically using yourself as a battering ram, and then just jump slamming over and over like you're playing Mario 64. Alternatively you can use a flamethrower and lightning coil, but I actually find the slam to be more powerful because it grounds everything it doesn't kill, so you can work over an entire group of enemies while they can't fight back at all.

Basically the Colossus is an insanely strong Javelin if you play it like a bully fleecing smaller children for their health drops, and kind of worthless when you do anything else.

All of the heavy weapons are also so obscenely ammo hungry that you can't use them without constantly going for ammo drops either. They did up the amount of ammo you get from picking up autocannon ammo by a huge amount at least since the last beta. It might almost be a bit too much now. I wish autocannons didn't have to reload. It's a belt fed rotary cannon with a windup time, just let that be its downside instead of awkwardly changing magazines on it. Once you got that beast cranking it should be like that scene from Predator.

I would like it if they made the Colossus a little more able to employ other tactics, make it a little less dependent on chasing drops. If you play any of the other Javelins with a light machine gun or some other weapon that's very ammo efficient you might not waste a single thought on going after health or ammo drops all match, if you play the colossus that's all you do. 

Message 39 of 152 (439 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Guide

It should have been the tank, even if its not now, it should have been the sponge that defends the team..

Message 40 of 152 (412 Views)

fifa-18-promo-circle

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

all-ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help