Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Colossus Needs a Rework

by crackdownjr

Original Post

Re: Colossus Needs a Rework

★★★★ Novice

For the first hour or so of playing the colossus I agreed. It sucks that you only have forward shield when not dealing damage. Having played some more I have difficulties adjusting back to other javelins after playing the colossus because I feel like I can't do enough. I started with the standard double colossus gear + flamethrower + Lightning coil build. Playing some more I feel like having a detonator ability on colossus is useless because you can use your AOE slam to detonate everything. Colossus gear helps but is far from mandatory to playing effectively. Honestly having the best low cooldown primer abilities and the best melee is enough to outweigh not having a shield like the other 3.

My ideal colossus build is now railgun + shock coil. Melee -> Shock coil -> melee kills all enemies except hunters in hard strongholds. Railgun helps you deal with harder enemies from afar and gives you some more boss damage. Melee combo staggers most enemies so you stay alive. When you see there are too many enemies shooting at you just shield up and jump backwards. Colossus seems to be the best javelin at this point in the game but it is a bit useless to judge too much based on blue level 15 items.

Message 21 of 152 (850 Views)

★★★ Guide

@Shaddoll23 

This guy knows.

Message 22 of 152 (816 Views)

★★ Apprentice
@crackdownjr
It wont detonate shielded people cause you cant prime shielded people, all you do with them is make sure you have the Sticky Grenade Launcher.. It shoot 3 grenades per pull and can get 9 off pretty quick.... about 4-6 of them are enough to bring down normal Shields on the machine gun guys, and they can be launched pretty darn quick.. So you pull it out, click, click, shield up, the mob shield gone, he is also Knocked down. But that is situational.
Message 23 of 152 (813 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

@crackdownjr wrote:

The colossus gets shredded by the snipers and elites while the other 3 javelin classes zip around the battlefield, avoiding damage and dealing damage. A single sniper shot takes away 90% of your shield.

Not sure if we are playing the same Colossus, but it seems that you didn't manage to play Colossus well just like how you play Storm.

You might need to understand that everyone have their own play-styles and skills directly impact on each javelins performance.

For me, I handle Colossus much better than Storm. I could survive in a swarm of enemies in hard mode without problem. I didn't really "tank" all the incoming attacks. I understand offence is the best defense, so I always try to CC close range enemies whenever possible, making them powerless. I use the shield as a dmg absorber when I am traveling or flying in between group of enemies, knocking down enemies on the way. And I only lose like 30~40% shield per sniper shot on hard mode. Whenever the shield is low, I rest the shield. Colossus's shield has the shortest regan delay even when taking real damage on the armor. The only troublsome dmg dealer to my shield is the auto gunner that could float in the air. But as a Colossus I simply run up to them, jump and stomp on the ground. They will fall down onto the ground and stunned for like ~5 seconds until they fly up again. If you repeat the process and they couldn't even deal a single damage to you until they RIP.  Normally I stomp on the elites with shield first so they would be staggered. With Colossus explosion combo I could rekt a group of shield-less enemies in a sec. If some elites still have shield on them, I would shield dash followed by a shield bash. Almost all enemies without physical shield would be knocked down and face on the ground.

Unlike how Storm relies on the castings to deal damage, Colossus relies much more on how the player control the environment, with combination of melee, shielding at the right time, cloud control, etc.

Imagine playing a MOBA game. A tank doesn't mean you just stay there and take all the damage from the opponent.

You see, this is just a Demo and we don't know yet how the HP/Shield could dramatically grow on end-game level gears.

With all the above, I found it hard to agree with you regarding to the weak side of Colossus.

Besides, attached my colossus Standard smile

mycolossus1.jpg

Message 24 of 152 (809 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I agree with most of the criticism of the Colossus. I think the major aspect of it people are getting wrong is that because he has a shield and is fairly lumbering he is a tank. He is not. He is the least tanky of all the javs.

He is artillery. He is massive indiscriminate AOE damage. He has the shield to protect him from the frontal assault but should never be in the midst of the enemy. He should stay on the fringe shelling the swarms and then helping with the remaining shielded or armored big bads. Much like artillery he is vulnerable and must be protected by the rest of the team so he lay down the damage to clear out all the weak crap that makes it hard to fight the tougher stuff.

Another aspect of this game to keep in mind is it is a team based coop game. You are not always meant to do the most damage no matter what jav you use. Playing to a role in the group will make the team more successful. I think many people overlook this and just focus on personal performance (doing the most damage they can). 

Some of the overarching roles as I see them based on having played all 4 javs through several runs of the strong hold (some more than others). Please keep in mind this in only one option, and just one that I have tried with some people and been VERY successful:

Ranger - this jav is your all-rounder for most of the mission. It helps fill any of the roles that the others do, just not quite as perfectly. On the really tough targets Ranger is going to be one of the highest sustained DPS. (Combos)

Storm - this is you eye in the sky (and with voice comms will be very valuable in keeping tabs on where everyone needs to be. Storm also helps with AOE on the swarms. Storm sets up combos with the area primers very efficiently. Storm spreads primers to other mobs. On the boss the Storm is going be critical in helping keep those combo primers rolling in for the Ranger to really grind out the DPS.

Interceptor - this frame should be your go to for quickly completing objectives and taking out priority targets. The Interceptor can very easily skirt the edges of the battle field to get to those snipers. Interceptor can then quickly burst those targets down. Another important role is the ability to help prevent a wipe. The ult is unique in that it will allow you to go repair downed team mates while invulnerable to damage. Plus it does gobs of damage and tears through shields like butter.

Colossus - Artillery. Like I mentioned before, this jav is going to lay down the smack on the swarms of weaker to med, strength enemies. The storm or ranger can set up a nice combo prime on tons of targets and then the Colossus blows them all up and does collateral damage to everything in a decently large radius.

Message 25 of 152 (798 Views)

★★ Apprentice
@Krashwire

The Colossus is actually Extremly tanky compared to the other Javelins, you just need to get those COLOSSUS ONLY mods, think they are Ordnance, Reinforced Armour, Grenade Launcher and cant think of the others, but they are Components that add SUPER HP and ARMOUR.. Like i said to the OP, i have a white and a green Component mod and they give me about 800+ hp per mod and like 400+ armour I have like 20 little HP dashes and when i block a sniper it takes about 15-20% of my shield off. I can Block the Boss and have like 1/3rd of my shield if that taken off. I can stand out in the open, Pop the 33% dmg reduction skill and res 2 people with stuff shooting at me and still walk away with more than 1/2 my hp left.

The Colossus NEEDS those Colossus ONLY components to be effective, but once you start stacking them, man you are TANKY as hell.
Message 26 of 152 (783 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice
I swore I was going to play all 4 Javelins over the 2 demo weekends, but I have yet to play the Colossus.

Once I played the Storm, I didnt need anything else. I can already see where my main is going to be.
Message 27 of 152 (780 Views)

★★ Apprentice

@S0KETH wrote:
@Krashwire

The Colossus is actually Extremly tanky compared to the other Javelins, you just need to get those COLOSSUS ONLY mods, think they are Ordnance, Reinforced Armour, Grenade Launcher and cant think of the others, but they are Components that add SUPER HP and ARMOUR.. Like i said to the OP, i have a white and a green Component mod and they give me about 800+ hp per mod and like 400+ armour I have like 20 little HP dashes and when i block a sniper it takes about 15-20% of my shield off. I can Block the Boss and have like 1/3rd of my shield if that taken off. I can stand out in the open, Pop the 33% dmg reduction skill and res 2 people with stuff shooting at me and still walk away with more than 1/2 my hp left.

The Colossus NEEDS those Colossus ONLY components to be effective, but once you start stacking them, man you are TANKY as hell.

Doesn't that reinforce the point of the Colossus needing a rework? Basically it sounds like you're saying the Colossus needs specific loadout choices to be viable, which in turn means it will have very little build variety.

Message 28 of 152 (769 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

Since my comment was apparently deleted, I'll say it again.

While I agree with the Colossus frontal shield being annoying and should be a 360 degree buff with the front being the strongest, I disagree with most of your points.

First, at 870 health and 348 armor, My Colossus has far more survivability than any other Javelin I have access to, the only one that can come close is the Storm with the hover bubble.

I have only been downed once in the Colossus, and that was while face tanking an entire stronghold while repairing an ally Storm that had his bubble popped after the rest of the squad abandoned game. I survive by throwing up my shield and smashing every Scar/Scorpion I see while absorbing the health motes they drop and holding their attention in the process.

Second, I agree that the shield should allow some combat ability beside backhanding and coil usage, but it does not completely prevent you from fighting.

I keep seeing similar posts saying Colossus is the weakest and that it isn't a tank or that its useless. I say if it can take Tyrant spit to the face and shrug it off, it is a tank.

Here's my baby boy.

20190202155022_1.jpg

Message 29 of 152 (762 Views)

★★ Apprentice
@Solkard

Yeah i dont think you get it.. The Components actually reinforce the Weapon Systems and such of the Colossus, so More DMG from Ordnance or Weapon systems, More Ammo for Colossus Type weapons, More HP and Armour than the standard weapon and system components for Colossus, these are all designed around the Colossus and the builds / combo's.. Same goes for Interceptor, Storm and Ranger, they all have their own Components and then their is the Universal ones that effect stuff like your Thrusters or generic ammo for this gun etc, nothing ground breaking.

So the "builds" you are talking of, will pretty much mostly be utilising the Javelins Specific Components to make the build the best it can be and this goes for ALL Javelins tbh.
Message 30 of 152 (755 Views)

fifa-18-promo-circle

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

all-ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help