Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Colossus Needs a Rework

by crackdownjr

Original Post

Re: Colossus Needs a Rework

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

I'm going to edit my original post to add some suggestions as to how they can fix the colossus (assuming the final build colossus isn't already much different that the demo)

1. Add an overshield like the others, making the hand shield an added means of absorbing damage, much like dodging for the others is a means of avoiding damage. With this they wouldn't need suggestions 2 or 3 because the shield would be used for added protection, as opposed to being required for basic survival as it is now.

2. Raise hp and/or rate of hp recovery

3. Ability to shoot and use equipment while holding shield

@Shaddoll23 wrote:
Nah mate. I’ve been using it on hard. I’ve only been playing hard.
I use sticky grenade with flame thrower plus lightning coil.

I walk forward using both my abilities dropping everything and refilling my health as I walk. I don’t need to dodge. Only time I use my shield is to block a sniper shot or to take on a hunters initial fire while moving to cover and wait for him to drop. The second they stop firing. I drop my shield and kill them and my health is full again and my shields fully recharged.

You straight up can do the most damage in the group. It’s insane. If you are just holding your shield up at everything. You are going to get worn down and have a problem. You can facetank a lot. It’s got a lot of health and gets pretty big chunks of health back for what it kills. Stay moving and killing and only occasionally raise your shield and you won’t die.

Think about the Colossus mechanics in general. Of course in a situation as easy as you described it's going to feel powerful, but that doesn't work when you play stronghold on hard. The colossus gets shredded by the snipers and elites while the other 3 javelin classes zip around the battlefield, avoiding damage and dealing damage. A single sniper shot takes away 90% of your shield. Definitely can't facetank. But I do think that you should be able to as a tank. And as much damage as the colossus deals, the Storm deals more while tanking and avoiding damage with ease.

Message 11 of 152 (927 Views)

★ Pro

Yep, I think everyone expects it to be a “tank” ever since that E3 gameplay footage where one of the developers had one built for survivability (even though there was another one in the same video that was built for dps as well). It was supposed to showcase that each suit can be built for a range of options, but people only noticed the part where it could run over a bunch of mines. I mean it could also literally just fly over them, but it’s not really a flying javelin.

You also gotta keep in mind this combat gameplay is deeply rooted RPG elements. You need to read the fine print and understand what bonuses you have and how you can stack them for specific purposes.

You can also use the shield itself as a weapon. You can sprint bash enemies and even fly into stuff with it, from what I understand. The only thing you can’t do is sit in one place and turtle, and let’s face it, it wouldn’t be a very fun mechanic even if you could.

Message 12 of 152 (919 Views)

★ Pro

@DraugrBearBlood wrote:

In fairness that flamer + coil combo is pretty much the only viable build for it on hard right now.

The combos in general are the most powerful thing in the game with the possible exception of the interceptors ability that causes a explosion on death of the target which is also a primer. The coil is effectively a Automatic combo gun pair this with a flamer or better yet a primer storm and it is devastating but does this really mean the colossus is in a good place if one single peice of equipment is over tuned?

It’s a demo. You’re supposed to play it for a few hours and get a feel for the basics of overall mechanics. Everything is doing too much damage right now and you can solo hardmode titans at lvl15. If they gave you actual tuned gameplay and dropped you off the deep end at level ten, many people would be completely lost because the whole RPG-style combo mechanics are not necessarily typical for most shooters. If anything, they’re so powerful right now to show they are important to understand.

There will likely be pure damage builds that don’t need combos at all to work, although they will likely be best against specific bars (pure health most likely) and still work better when another player is applying a damage resistance debuff. Because it’s supposed to be a co-op, not solo dps measurement contest.

Message 13 of 152 (918 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

Considering I just face tanked the entire Tyrant Mine stronghold in my Colossus after 2 of our squad mates left, I'll have to disagree on most of your points.

Granted, this was on Normal, but I survived while taking the heat from Scars so my Storm friend could do his thing, while picking him up after his bubble broke after sniping turrets with my railgun. Then survived a practical crap storm with so many scorpions in my face that I couldn't see anything besides health notifications, while taking a beating from the queen and rushing over to pick my team mate up after she spat in his face.

I agree the frontal shield is annoying, it'd be nice if it had a 360 defense buff with front being the strongest, but it does not completely prevent you from attacking. The Lightning Coil ordinance launcher works beautifully while the shield is up, and you have the nice backhanded shield slap that takes a chunk of enemy hp with a side of ragdoll.

Everywhere I look, people claim the Colossus is the weakest Javelin, can't take a hit, does no damage, etc. To this I say "you're doing it wrong."

Message 14 of 152 (607 Views)

★★★★ Guide
All I have ever played stronghold on is hard. It works just fine on the colossus. I’ve put a good bit of time into playing it and didn’t have a issue
Message 15 of 152 (908 Views)

★★ Apprentice
@crackdownjr
Should come play with my on my Colossus my friend i have about 20 little dash thingies of HP on mine because of the Colossus ONLY Components on it which give (only got white and green ones so far about 800-900hp+ and like 400'sh armour or something and i am a Beast with clearing out MOBS with the Flame Thrower / Coil combo (which you can use the coil while using your shield)

I can tell you one thing, the Colossus needs the Colossus ONLY mods to stay competitive, much like the Interceptor needs the Interceptor Components for the same reason they deal directly with the Flaws in the Javelins. Also Colossus requires a person with some quick thinking and is able to master the Shield directions and their own positioning so as to not be getting shot at from all sides.

Other Javelins have the shield, that is great, but they are gone (on normal) with 1 shot from a sniper rifle and are paper thin when getting shot at by a Turret or an Elite machine gunner.

There is also a Skill that reduces dmg by 33%, i suggest using that and then there are the Colossus ONLY components that add SOOOO much HP and Armor that you can take an entire Elite Machine gun firing at you using his entire clip without using your shield and still be alive (on normal that is). I think you need to play more instead of getting the basic setup, going into your first or 2nd Stronghold and spitting the dummy cause you expected to be Hulk Buster tanking all the bullets and smashing all the things..
Message 16 of 152 (896 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

its the shield, thats the problem, he cant do sh!t while the shield is on, hes pretty much stuck behind the rock if health goes down, while the other can trade blow even in low health because they got some barrier while the colossus you cant trade blow, well you can but you are very very limited offensive moves (electric coil)

Message 17 of 152 (891 Views)

★★ Guide

@S0KETH wrote:
@crackdownjr
Should come play with my on my Colossus my friend i have about 20 little dash thingies of HP on mine because of the Colossus ONLY Components on it which give (only got white and green ones so far about 800-900hp+ and like 400'sh armour or something and i am a Beast with clearing out MOBS with the Flame Thrower / Coil combo (which you can use the coil while using your shield)

I can tell you one thing, the Colossus needs the Colossus ONLY mods to stay competitive, much like the Interceptor needs the Interceptor Components for the same reason they deal directly with the Flaws in the Javelins. Also Colossus requires a person with some quick thinking and is able to master the Shield directions and their own positioning so as to not be getting shot at from all sides.

Other Javelins have the shield, that is great, but they are gone (on normal) with 1 shot from a sniper rifle and are paper thin when getting shot at by a Turret or an Elite machine gunner.

There is also a Skill that reduces dmg by 33%, i suggest using that and then there are the Colossus ONLY components that add SOOOO much HP and Armor that you can take an entire Elite Machine gun firing at you using his entire clip without using your shield and still be alive (on normal that is). I think you need to play more instead of getting the basic setup, going into your first or 2nd Stronghold and spitting the dummy cause you expected to be Hulk Buster tanking all the bullets and smashing all the things..

I've put in plenty of time on the Colossus. I wouldn't give an opinion like this on it after just a couple uses. The coil/flamethrower combo is definitely effective, but the Storm does similar combos more effectively, can pretty much tank better while hovering, and has the best dodge ability in the game. But what you said is basically what I was saying, the components will need to add enough hp to make up for the flaws in the way the Colossus operates.DybC9biV4AA5Rwu.jpg

Message 18 of 152 (883 Views)

★★ Apprentice
@Gunny-Grabbit

There is the Lightning Coil ordanance item i think it is called that can Be Toggled and used WHILST your shield is up. It does pretty good dmg and is a Detonator, so if any of your team primes the mobs you backing away from you will decimate them and whoever is near them pretty quick.
Message 19 of 152 (882 Views)

★★ Guide

@S0KETH wrote:
@Gunny-Grabbit

There is the Lightning Coil ordanance item i think it is called that can Be Toggled and used WHILST your shield is up. It does pretty good dmg and is a Detonator, so if any of your team primes the mobs you backing away from you will decimate them and whoever is near them pretty quick.

That's what he said at the end of his post. Also it doesn't detonate enemies who have shields.

Message 20 of 152 (869 Views)

fifa-18-promo-circle

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

all-ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help