Re: Colossus Needs a Rework

★★★★ Novice

also can we please get a decent nickname to stick for the colossus? :P

I am still in favor for "combat wombat" which was raised in another thread Wink

Message 111 of 152 (189 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

The Colossus was easily my favourite Javelin in the Demo, it could take one hell of a beating and could even fly in a pack of enemies, revive someone and gtfo again.
The situations i went down was because i underestimated the situation i was in.

He can combo like mad, or be a very good single target DD. He can charge with his child on the ground or in the air, stunning mobs and get them back to the ground.
He can smash multiple mobs with his shield and smack em to the ground. His flying attack cleared common mobs on hard in a single hit, often healing myself to 100% because he HP item dropped.

Honestly he was tons of fun and really tanky, more than all other Javelins. When the Tyrant hit me on hard i lost around 25% of my HP while it insta killed most of the other classes or put them to really low HP.
One game we duo'ed the stronghold on hard with just a storm and my colossus and it wasnt even that difficult. First and second canyon were a little tricky though.

That said, i'd love to be able to use weapons or abilities next to the shield.

Message 112 of 152 (167 Views)

★ Guide

@DerPizzadieb  Exactly, the only change I'd make is to be able to fire and revive allies with the shield out.  Other than that issue I wouldn't change a thing about it.  Once the components are added that give you the buffs you desire for it you'll love playing with it if used properly.

Message 113 of 152 (164 Views)

Betreff: Colossus Needs a Rework

★★★★★ Guide

Coil is completely unnecessary. That combo isn’t that powerful, it’s simply lazy. You can do the same thing with melee. I believe that people that sail through the campaign that way are going to struggle a great deal when they try to do more difficult content, as they won’t be able to adapt very easily. The one potential advantage to having lightning coil is taking down shields, but that’s actually Not much of an advantage because it will preferentially target primed targets. If you have one shielded enemy and a bunch of fodder, coil isn’t going to hit the shielded enemy until the others are down (assuming you are using flamethrower).

i think what Colossus really needs is the ability to be a bit more flexible with the shield raised (I.e. use abilities), even if that means rebalancing the shield a bit.

Message 114 of 152 (154 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Actually it is squite usefull since you could detonate combos in a flyby which you couldnt do with a melee slam, also it sets combos off way more often that i could do without it.
For the most part i used the mortar and railgun against groups and the tyrant which worked out well. Very late into the second demo i tried the coil/flame combo and it was definetly an upgrade, just not on the Tyrant.

Also a thing you forget is that Coil is the only thing that works with your shield up. You were able to shield yourself triggering combos.
Not the easy way, just more effective.

Message 115 of 152 (148 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Guide

Yes, it has uses. But it isn’t necessary. Though I admit the fly by option is clever. I would still rather run double-primers. For instance, there’s a shock coil masterwork called Voltaic Dome that freezes enemies. I’d MUCH rather have that...or just a firewall mortar, since comparing a masterwork to a regular skill isn’t really a fair comparison.

no, I haven’t forgotten it works with the shield up, I am well aware. I think there’s a good chance they are going to make more colossus abilities work that way.

Message 116 of 152 (146 Views)
Highlighted

★ Apprentice

@dynas2001 wrote:

I had full rare and both re-inforcement components and I concur on hard.  1 or 2 hits at most from a sniper and then you get the stagger.  Same with Boss hit. 

That said - i did see some odd bugs with health bars. Sometimes it looked like i had about 50 and other times it looked like half that. 

Which was due to bugged components and only getting benefits from 1. Taking a sniper shot in the shield when 45 pips of HP is displayed (both components being counted) should have resulted in only losing just short of 25% shield, not half. If you had been able to make it all the way to the Tyrant without suffering the bug you would have seen taking a slam from the boss only took away 30-35'ish% shield.

Message 117 of 152 (141 Views)

★★★★ Novice
I like this response a lot. I hope that the game devs and story design as you play through the game help sort of define a bit more a base style to use when playing the colossus so someone new can pick it up.

I wasn't quite able to put enough time into the game to get better but if what you say is true it would be nice to personally figure out the aggro system a bit more such that the shield itself is a bit more useful. I personally think the Collosus looks the coolest of all the Javelins but may actually end up being the toughest to master.
Message 118 of 152 (133 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice
Someone linked this thread, aftering reading it, it more concisely puts my experience/viewpoint into wording. Here are my suggestions:

1) shield takes damage and breaks too quickly
2) either more dmg reduction or a blue shield should be added
3) melee while using shield should not open you up to frontal fire
4) there is not dodge-dash, instead the shield is activated (this is fine, but shield needs a buff to compensate)
5) perfect blocks? do something? reflect projectiles? (shield is used just as an attack would hit, maybe melee a projectile at the right time to reflect?)
6) elemental shield?  since this is such a big component for the Colossus why can we not mod it?
7) searching for hp packs since there is no blue shield is going to be horrible at endgame
8) charged melee attack? allow colossus to charge melee attack, making the melee stronger and larger AOE
9) use abilities while shield is up, at least the shoulder mounted
10) taunt NEEDS to affect bosses and larger enemies as well, don't make the same mistake many MMOs make, give players abilities, promote their use but when facing bosses those abilities are nullified
11) taunt needs to be an aoe and larger diameters

PS: "AngelofMischief" stated; "If you are trying to play it like a tank of the holy trinity. You are playing it wrong.", firstly that is YOUR opinion. Second, if it's not supposed to be "trinity"-like why does it have a taunt ability? Seems very close to the "trinity" style if you ask me...
Message 119 of 152 (116 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

@Label07 wrote:
Someone linked this thread, aftering reading it, it more concisely puts my experience/viewpoint into wording. Here are my suggestions:

1) shield takes damage and breaks too quickly
2) either more dmg reduction or a blue shield should be added
3) melee while using shield should not open you up to frontal fire
4) there is not dodge-dash, instead the shield is activated (this is fine, but shield needs a buff to compensate)
5) perfect blocks? do something? reflect projectiles? (shield is used just as an attack would hit, maybe melee a projectile at the right time to reflect?)
6) elemental shield?  since this is such a big component for the Colossus why can we not mod it?
7) searching for hp packs since there is no blue shield is going to be horrible at endgame
8) charged melee attack? allow colossus to charge melee attack, making the melee stronger and larger AOE
9) use abilities while shield is up, at least the shoulder mounted
10) taunt NEEDS to affect bosses and larger enemies as well, don't make the same mistake many MMOs make, give players abilities, promote their use but when facing bosses those abilities are nullified
11) taunt needs to be an aoe and larger diameters

PS: "AngelofMischief" stated; "If you are trying to play it like a tank of the holy trinity. You are playing it wrong.", firstly that is YOUR opinion. Second, if it's not supposed to be "trinity"-like why does it have a taunt ability? Seems very close to the "trinity" style if you ask me...

3) But the animation indicates that he is open, so he should be open. And, more importantly, you can simply sprint at the enemy and it counts as an attack which knocks them down. This is a very important player skill to learn, as the Colossus. The shield swipe has its uses, but most of the time you should just charge instead, then sheath the shield and use the regular melee.

8) I don`t know if it has a wider AoE or more damage, but he already has a sprinting melee attack, which has more range.

11) Taunt is currently a cone, which is actually better than an AoE around you, because your defense relies on the frontal shield. The taunt area is incredibly good as it works, right now, better than it would be as a self AoE. It just takes some getting used to.

I disagree with most of those points but these were the ones to which I had more specific rpelies.

As to (10), I am actually curious as to why the taunt doesn`t seem to work on bosses. Intuitively, I would like them to, but maybe they have a good reason to forbid it.

Message 120 of 152 (114 Views)

fifa-18-promo-circle

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

all-ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help