Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Re: Colossus Needs a Rework

by Kigrioth
Reply

Original Post

Re: Colossus Needs a Rework

★★★★ Novice
FYI you want to use the lightning coil to trigger combos not really for its damage.
Message 51 of 152 (439 Views)

Re: Colossus Needs a Rework

★ Apprentice

@Mortac wrote:

I really hope they do something about the repeated melee stomps. It's really effective, but man, it's also so terribly clunky and boring.

 

All you guys saying the Colossus is so fantastic, well, let's see how they do on the grandmaster levels. Something tells me that'll be a different story.

 

This javelin needs to constantly seek out health drops. It does cost you a lot DPS-wise when you spend so much time chasing health and holding the shield. That's time which the other javelins can spend on killing stuff.


Can't judge that based on what we don't know, but if we wanted to the picture looks extremely grim for the other javs as even just on Hard difficulty there are attacks from enemies that 1hk 2 of them... are the other 3 just going to be erased in an instant by even the trash mobs on Grandmaster? 

 

It also doesn't cost much DPS potential to be grabbing health drops, enemies are right there dropping them at your feet as you kill them. Besides, Colossus does high DPS more consistently than the others which more than makes up for any lost potential if the person needs to get out of the fight.

Message 52 of 152 (439 Views)

Re: Colossus Needs a Rework

★★★★★ Novice
We should be able to repair another player with shield up.
Message 53 of 152 (422 Views)

Re: Colossus Needs a Rework

★★★★ Apprentice

Agreed 100% with the op. Having no overshield sucks *, and the fact that you can't use the deployed shield while doing damage, reloading weapons, using skills, reviving, or even just simply running away from dmg cause you'll turn around and get * in the *, makes it one of the most gimmicky and frustrating abilities to use in game right now. It should be an extra thing to have on top of the normal overshield, just as everyone else has dodge on top of overshield. Or better yet, put that shield as a support skill. give the colossus ovcershield AND dodge like everyone else.

I've been running some hard dungeons, as other people already said the coil/flame combo is the only viable one, but even then, it's risky cause, again, can't use it together with the shield, and even then, by the time you're close enough to stuff to deploy your damage, your shield and hp get shredded and unless something drops health asap you're exposed and screwed, and i can't even imagine how terrible it would be in other instances where all mobs may be ranged as opposed to crappy bugs.

 

I've been pretty much set on playing colossus as my main for months now but these 2 beta weekends are making me reconsider, do i really want to do that to myself? I can't play something just cause i likea the idea of it and it looks cool, when everything else is so much better.

 

and i'm kinda tired of seeing posts by people who just overgear the content they're stomping so they can just facetank things and do the * flamer thing cause they saw it on yt saying that "it's fine". If you think the current colossus mechanics are fine or even good in the long run you clearly lack a lot of foresight. You need to think about grandmaster difficulties and *, and why would you bring a colossus there rather than ANY of the others, because right now there's no reason at all.

Message 54 of 152 (417 Views)

Re: Colossus Needs a Rework

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Guide

@Aetrion wrote:

The Colossus isn't really weak if you play it right, but it is kind of boring because it gets pigeonholed into a very specific play style because of the way it's health works.

 

You know, I had dismissed a lot of the people complaining about the Colossus,  because I happen to like this specific playstyle, but you make a great point. I think saying that the Colossus is less flexible in how you approach the game is a fair statement.

Message 55 of 152 (400 Views)

Re: Colossus Needs a Rework

★★★★ Apprentice

@Banfilidh wrote:

You know, I had dismissed a lot of the people complaining about the Colossus,  evause I happen to like this specific playstyle, but you make a great point. I think saying that the Colossus is less flexible in how you approach the game is a fair statement.


I actually quite enjoy the way the Colossus plays as well for the most part, but I do wish they would make the jump slam a little less of an alpha move that you just do over and over because it's an awkward button combination that isn't fun to spam, and I wish they made the ordnance launchers powerful enough to not be a total joke compared to lightning coil and flamethrower which just sets off combos all day.

Message 56 of 152 (398 Views)

Re: Colossus Needs a Rework

★★★★★ Guide

Lol, I have to admit I love leaping from group to group and pulverizing them. I’m on m/k, though (actually have melee on RMB). Hadn’t considered how it might feel with a controller.

 

The flamethrower is great fun, but I refuse to use the lightning coil. Too passive for my tastes. HE Mortar is fun to use, but it is pretty slow. I really want to try the firewall mortar so I can run double primers, but I’ve yet to get one to drop. Shock Coil doesn’t have much feedback. When I use it, I feel like I’m standing there doing nothing, Burst Mortar is fine I guess, but it doesn’t really solve a problem. 

 

When I think about it, other than firewall (which I haven’t tried) my favorite is HE, which I barely use when I have it equipped. So again, I say you have a point.

Message 57 of 152 (388 Views)

Re: Colossus Needs a Rework

★ Apprentice

@Aetrion wrote:

I actually quite enjoy the way the Colossus plays as well for the most part, but I do wish they would make the jump slam a little less of an alpha move that you just do over and over because it's an awkward button combination that isn't fun to spam, and I wish they made the ordnance launchers powerful enough to not be a total joke compared to lightning coil and flamethrower which just sets off combos all day.


Lol, you could switch it up and bring the jump smash even more into the mix by swapping the lightning coil for the shock coil!

 

Side effect is that it frees up the arm launcher for something else... acid launcher for debuff, eh? ehhhhh?

 

 

 

 

As it is in the demo build we have the mortars are useless but in the full game we wont be limited so components that reduce cooldowns may make mortars worthwhile to be able to just rain terror at a distance.

Message 58 of 152 (387 Views)
Highlighted

Re: Colossus Needs a Rework

★★★★ Novice

@crackdownjr wrote:

@Shaddoll23 wrote:
It’s not useless at all. It can put out the most damage for the team and take a beating. If you are playing it right you want die. If you are trying to play it like a tank of the holy trinity. You are playing it wrong. I think a overshield would be good for it. But outside that. The class is amazing


If you're playing easier difficulties/ missions it's not much of a problem. But on higher difficulties and missions (stronghold on hard), where the limits of the javelins are tested, is where the flaws of the colossus really stand out. 

 

If the colossus is supposed to be a tank that can't dodge then it should be able to take a reasonable amount of damage, not die quicker than all the other javelins. Especially since all you do is stand there with your shield out, unable to use your equipment or shoot. And on higher difficulties you're dead if you charge in for a shield bash, since the enemies surround you and shoot you from the sides and in the back, which are protected for every javelin besides the "tank".

 

I'd much rather use any other javelin and deal damage while dodging, and in the off chance my shield goes down I can hide behind a rock, let it recharge, then rinse and repeat


Hi there,

in my opinion, it need a little bit rework, but I am playing colosus whole weekend without any trouble (only befoe I got how to play it), but connection issues Large smile.

I am playing more close combat type with a flamethrower in synergy with lightning coil, there is also important to use shield propertly (I know sometimes it is little bit confusing) for example, to not get to be surrounded use smash shield (meelee) and also shield while running (rhino run). I am also using 2x structural reinforcement (which is probably borken, in game I have sometimes lets say 20 boxes of health and sometime about 40 boxes during gameplay).

 

As I said, it needs little bit rework, as all javelins, let say that the heavy guns could be little bit more poverful:

  1. Autocannon exploding rounds
  2. Autocannon penetrating rounds (lets say to penetrate 4 common enemies, and damage armor and take some health on armored enemies)
  3. different rounds could be implemented to all weapons (as attachment like in the division: clips, muzzles, scopes etc.) I would like to see this feature in game:
    • on heavy weapons without restrictions or small restrictions.
    • on light weapons with moderate restrictions.

From my point of view the storm is little bit OP, maybe jas because hover ability  which I particularly like (because I like it it is my personal opinion someone can disagree :-)).

 

What do You say on gun improvement?

Message 59 of 152 (372 Views)

Re: Colossus Needs a Rework

★★ Pro

@AzKnc wrote:

Agreed 100% with the op. Having no overshield sucks *, and the fact that you can't use the deployed shield while doing damage, reloading weapons, using skills, reviving, or even just simply running away from dmg cause you'll turn around and get * in the *, makes it one of the most gimmicky and frustrating abilities to use in game right now. It should be an extra thing to have on top of the normal overshield, just as everyone else has dodge on top of overshield. Or better yet, put that shield as a support skill. give the colossus ovcershield AND dodge like everyone else.

I've been running some hard dungeons, as other people already said the coil/flame combo is the only viable one, but even then, it's risky cause, again, can't use it together with the shield, and even then, by the time you're close enough to stuff to deploy your damage, your shield and hp get shredded and unless something drops health asap you're exposed and screwed, and i can't even imagine how terrible it would be in other instances where all mobs may be ranged as opposed to crappy bugs.

 

I've been pretty much set on playing colossus as my main for months now but these 2 beta weekends are making me reconsider, do i really want to do that to myself? I can't play something just cause i likea the idea of it and it looks cool, when everything else is so much better.

 

and i'm kinda tired of seeing posts by people who just overgear the content they're stomping so they can just facetank things and do the * flamer thing cause they saw it on yt saying that "it's fine". If you think the current colossus mechanics are fine or even good in the long run you clearly lack a lot of foresight. You need to think about grandmaster difficulties and *, and why would you bring a colossus there rather than ANY of the others, because right now there's no reason at all.


Sorry but in my opinion you make many incorrect or wild assumptions, you do not know that people are "overgearing the content", they may be just normalising the content, I would also point out that the GM difficulty will no doubt require you to have uber gear also your stats etc will be vastly larger so scaling up to the difficulty. "Lack of Foresight", I could just as easily accuse you of the same. Sharing your opinions is good but trying to demean others in your post simply because they don't share your point of view, is a bit juvenile imo. BTW, try other combos, there isn't just one and one only, find the one you like.

Message 60 of 152 (372 Views)

fifa-18-promo-circle

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

all-ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help