Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Re: Colossus Needs a Rework

by a10miletooth

Original Post

Highlighted

★ Apprentice

@DanteYoda wrote:

It should have been the tank, even if its not now, it should have been the sponge that defends the team..

45pips!.jpg

If you can't "sponge" with that many pips of HP compared to the other javs, it may be you.

Message 41 of 152 (601 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Hopefully they fix the bug where half of your health disappears during combat...

Message 42 of 152 (595 Views)

★ Apprentice

@Ayakrovac wrote:

Hopefully they fix the bug where half of your health disappears during combat...

Seems to me that when more than 1 of the same component is slotted the game sometimes only recognizes 1 of them. well, sometimes.... meaning almost always and suddenly whenever it decides.

Message 43 of 152 (592 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

@a10miletooth wrote:

@Ayakrovac wrote:

Seems to me that when more than 1 of the same component is slotted the game sometimes only recognizes 1 of them. well, sometimes.... meaning almost always and suddenly whenever it decides.

By design you can't have 2 of the same components. Its common knowlege. Doesnt work.

Message 44 of 152 (578 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

@USA_v_Canada wrote:

@a10miletooth wrote:

@Ayakrovac wrote:

By design you can't have 2 of the same components. Its common knowlege. Doesnt work.

You mean it doesn't work aside from the times it very clearly does, like in that image I posted? should I post 2 more images showing what the bar looks like with no components and with only 1 so you can see the contrast against the one that is there already?

Decided to just do it...

NoComponents.jpg

1Component.jpg

45pips!.jpg

Message 45 of 152 (576 Views)

★★★ Guide
you forgot the part where slapping HP boosters on this guy makes you laugh through hard mode. Honestly if you EVER play a tank you will realize they take a lot more skill then some DPS.
Message 46 of 152 (562 Views)

★★★★ Novice
The colossus has a completely different play style that the other javelins. It’s a common mistake that people make when they assume because they don’t know the correct strategy / play style the mechanism itself must be broken so I don’t blame you there.

I’ve played stronghold on hard and I’m fine - quite often repairing my fellow javelins.

The key for me was focusing on melee heavy shield bash and creating combos. Those would allow fast enough kills to get health drops and go from there.

The correct components help a lot too - I’m using the colossus specific heavy reinforcement armour buffs and that was huge.

You just need more practice Standard smile
Message 47 of 152 (557 Views)

★★★★ Novice
The is for posting those pics! I wasn’t sure if it worked and I’m glad it does! Standard smile
Message 48 of 152 (557 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I don't think colossus needs a rework per se. As many people have noted, it's very different from the other javelins, but its ponderous nature produces a deliberate-yet-brawly playstyle that I rather enjoy.

But not being able to user most ordnance launchers while blocking sucks.

Blocking itself is great. Learning how to pivot out of sprinting to block a sniper shot while repositioning takes some getting used to, but it feels good, and I've never wanted for survivability as a colossus. Mixing shield charges with flamethrower spray and both kinds of melee attacks is likewise both fun and rewarding.

Using ordnance launchers is not great. I don't like the lightning coil because its passive and overtuned, but the one thing I did like about it was being able to bring it to bear while blocking. Being able to bust an enemy position while tanking fire felt fantastic. But I did miss the prerogative of actually aiming my shot for maximum effect. Meanwhile, I feel punished every time I want to use any other ordnance launcher. In time, you learn how to work around them, but it does leave most ordnance launchers feeling very unsatisfying to use. The situations where taking the time to fire them up is worthwhile are so few and so tedious to manufacture that you've probably already won if you have time to fire your mortar (or it's the very beginning of the fight, and the enemies haven't started firing yet).

I don't want mortars to fire faster. As I've said, I find the deliberate and weighty playstyle of the colossus gratifying overall, but as long as managing your shield's health is an important part of playing a colossus, I think being able to use ordnance launchers while blocking would make the both the gear and the javelin more fun. Obviously, if you ever find yourself with enough shield health to just tank enemies indefinitely, then any weapon you can use while shielded becomes too safe to be interesting, but at that point blocking would also be too safe to be interesting, and the issue would be with shield health rather than ordnance launchers.

Heavy assault launchers don't seem to have this problem or this need. They're all fast enough to use that I can mix them into my gameplay in a satisfying manner. I mean, I would probably enjoy being able to use both types of gear while blocking. Maybe if gun damage were better, you could have both gear types useable while blocking, and then pulling out the autocannon is the main thing you'd drop your shield for (when you aren't dropping shield because it's about to crack). But at least right now heavy assault launchers don't feel bad to use like ordnance launchers do.

Message 49 of 152 (547 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

I really hope they do something about the repeated melee stomps. It's really effective, but man, it's also so terribly clunky and boring.

All you guys saying the Colossus is so fantastic, well, let's see how they do on the grandmaster levels. Something tells me that'll be a different story.

This javelin needs to constantly seek out health drops. It does cost you a lot DPS-wise when you spend so much time chasing health and holding the shield. That's time which the other javelins can spend on killing stuff.

Message 50 of 152 (538 Views)

fifa-18-promo-circle

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

all-ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help