generals and win 10 direct x issues

by txman4462

Original Post

Accepted Solution

generals and win 10 direct x issues

★★★ Newbie

command and conquer generals/zero hour.......i keep getting message about direct x needs to be at least 8.1 or higher.....i have direct x 12 installed with a radeon 590 8gb video.......how can this be fixed ?

win 10 pro

64 gb ram

amd rx590 8gb 

Message 1 of 7 (2,147 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: generals and win 10 direct x issues

Hero

@txman4462 

The problem is that the "or higher" refers to higher versions of DirectX 8/9, not higher versions of DirectX beyond 9. The game can't actually use the DirectX 10/11/12 that is installed on windows machines by default nowadays.

The solution is simple; install DirectX 9:

• Download the DirectX Redistributables package from June 2010. Be sure to uncheck any other junk they want to add to it. It should be a file called "directx_Jun2010_redist.exe".
  • Run the downloaded file. It'll ask for a folder to unpack in. Make a new folder somewhere on your disk and unpack it there. It doesn't matter where you unpack it; it can be deleted afterwards anyway.
  • Go to the folder where you told it to extract.
  • Find "DXSETUP.exe", and run that to install the missing components.
  • After the installation finished, delete the folder you unpacked everything in.

Since this is a completely separate thing, it will not interfere with your installed higher-version DirectX.

If this does not help, look in your install folder for a file called "dbghelp.dll". Apparently it's some library that was used in testing the game, but it stayed behind by accident, and it is known to cause this issue. Simply deleting the file should fix the issue.

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.

View in thread

Message 2 of 7 (2,110 Views)

All Replies

Hero

@txman4462 

The problem is that the "or higher" refers to higher versions of DirectX 8/9, not higher versions of DirectX beyond 9. The game can't actually use the DirectX 10/11/12 that is installed on windows machines by default nowadays.

The solution is simple; install DirectX 9:

• Download the DirectX Redistributables package from June 2010. Be sure to uncheck any other junk they want to add to it. It should be a file called "directx_Jun2010_redist.exe".
  • Run the downloaded file. It'll ask for a folder to unpack in. Make a new folder somewhere on your disk and unpack it there. It doesn't matter where you unpack it; it can be deleted afterwards anyway.
  • Go to the folder where you told it to extract.
  • Find "DXSETUP.exe", and run that to install the missing components.
  • After the installation finished, delete the folder you unpacked everything in.

Since this is a completely separate thing, it will not interfere with your installed higher-version DirectX.

If this does not help, look in your install folder for a file called "dbghelp.dll". Apparently it's some library that was used in testing the game, but it stayed behind by accident, and it is known to cause this issue. Simply deleting the file should fix the issue.

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.
Message 2 of 7 (2,111 Views)

★★★ Newbie

thank you, that worked

Message 3 of 7 (2,097 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I did all this because I have the same exact problem! I have windows 10. 

I deleted the file and everything but it still throws me that error

Message 4 of 7 (2,027 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

Unfortunately this did not work, no dbghelp.dll file exists. Could you offer any other solution please?

Message 5 of 7 (1,885 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

I did find the file after all and it worked, thank you very much.

Message 6 of 7 (1,868 Views)

★★★ Newbie

<h1>Another Fix Alternative</h1>
Hey guys, it's been 2 years but if yall still have the same problem after deleting dbghelp.dll and installing old direct x to 8.
go to My Documents and go to Command and Conguers Data and change option.ini data resolution to 1024x768

Message 7 of 7 (868 Views)