directx

by malarkey84

Original Post

Accepted Solution

directx

★★★ Newbie

Whenever I try to play Command & Conquer Generals or Command & Conquer Generals Zero Hour, I get the following error message

Please make sure that you have DirectX 8.1 or higher installed.  Also, verify that your video card meets the minimum requirements.

I have DirectX 12.  I meet the video requirements.

Message 1 of 3 (938 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: directx

[ Edited ]
Hero

@malarkey84 

Find and delete the file "dbghelp.dll" in the game's install folder. It fixes that issue. Apparently it's some library from the game's testing phase that wasn't removed, so the game doesn't actually need it, but it causes issues on modern DirectX versions.

You'll find the file twice; once in the Generals folder, and once in the Zero Hour one.

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.

View in thread

Message 2 of 3 (909 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
Hero

@malarkey84 

Find and delete the file "dbghelp.dll" in the game's install folder. It fixes that issue. Apparently it's some library from the game's testing phase that wasn't removed, so the game doesn't actually need it, but it causes issues on modern DirectX versions.

You'll find the file twice; once in the Generals folder, and once in the Zero Hour one.

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.
Message 2 of 3 (910 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

@Nyerguds You are a genius!  Thank you for sharing this

Message 3 of 3 (398 Views)