command and conquer renegade crash

by UCDSC

Original Post

Accepted Solution

command and conquer renegade crash

★★★ Newbie

Hi, I'm having a crash issue with Renegade on Windows 8.1. It crashes immediately after the intro plays.. I can't even get to the main menu (intro plays just fine though, can't skip it unfortunately) .. I've tried setting all the applications in the renegade folder to run as admin and to run in compat-mode for windows XP, still no luck. Any help/ideas are appreciated. thanks in advance! Standard smile

Message 1 of 11 (17,507 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: command and conquer renegade crash

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Ok, so I've been messing with this a bit, and I think I found the issue; though in truth I need to play with it a bit more to get the resolution in window mode working right.

I'm going to list the current discussed "Solutions" first.  None of which have worked for me.

1) Use Origin's Game Properties > Advanced Launch Option feature and use -w or -win [fail]

2) Use WWConfig to enter into window'd mode [fail]  **note, this is NOT required for my fix below**

These may have worked in older versions of windows, but what I seem to have messed with and got to solve the issue is dealing with the Game.exe, Renegade.exe, and RenegadeLauncher.exe compatibility settings for the files themselves.  I want to put this out there, this worked for me, and each system is different and may not have the same effect.

Steps:

- For each of the all three exe files in the game destination file do the following:

*.exe > Right-click > Properties > Compatibilities > 1) Select Compatibility mode 'Run this program...' the system I found reliable is 'Windows XP (SP2)'; 2) Select 'Disable fullscreen optimizations'

- For Game.exe only:

Game.exe > Right-click > Properties > Compatibilities > Change high DPI settings > High DPI scaling override should be checked and Application should be used for the drop down option.

Once I had these settings done, I've been able to open the game successfully multiple times with no issues, other than having to wait through that long intro before the main menu... my esc doesn't seem to skip it.

View in thread

Message 5 of 11 (16,689 Views)

All Replies

Hero

@UCDSC

Try tweaking the game's settings using the program "WWConfig.exe" in the game install folder. You'll need to run it as administrator.

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.
Message 2 of 11 (17,769 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Thanks for the suggestion. I've tried that, played around with all the video settings, ran in window mode, ran game in origin with -w and -Win, I've done all the suggestions listed on the pinned thread for fixes.. still to no avail. The first time I ran it in windowed mode from the WWconfig, it worked and i surprisingly made it to the main menu. I then exited out of the game, tried it in full screen, crashed again. Ran it AGAIN with windowed mode from WWconfig since that worked the first time and now not even that is working anymore, still crashing. :/

Message 3 of 11 (17,467 Views)

★★★ Newbie

How do I get a refund since EA don't wanna help us

Message 4 of 11 (16,996 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Ok, so I've been messing with this a bit, and I think I found the issue; though in truth I need to play with it a bit more to get the resolution in window mode working right.

I'm going to list the current discussed "Solutions" first.  None of which have worked for me.

1) Use Origin's Game Properties > Advanced Launch Option feature and use -w or -win [fail]

2) Use WWConfig to enter into window'd mode [fail]  **note, this is NOT required for my fix below**

These may have worked in older versions of windows, but what I seem to have messed with and got to solve the issue is dealing with the Game.exe, Renegade.exe, and RenegadeLauncher.exe compatibility settings for the files themselves.  I want to put this out there, this worked for me, and each system is different and may not have the same effect.

Steps:

- For each of the all three exe files in the game destination file do the following:

*.exe > Right-click > Properties > Compatibilities > 1) Select Compatibility mode 'Run this program...' the system I found reliable is 'Windows XP (SP2)'; 2) Select 'Disable fullscreen optimizations'

- For Game.exe only:

Game.exe > Right-click > Properties > Compatibilities > Change high DPI settings > High DPI scaling override should be checked and Application should be used for the drop down option.

Once I had these settings done, I've been able to open the game successfully multiple times with no issues, other than having to wait through that long intro before the main menu... my esc doesn't seem to skip it.

Message 5 of 11 (16,690 Views)

★★★ Newbie

it worked for me.

but then I decided to go to config and set the resolution and graphics all to maximum and now it won't start. no black screen, just origin saying "running" and less than 2 seconds it says "play"...ugh.

Message 6 of 11 (15,506 Views)

★★★ Novice

i did it the way you said it but your solution doesnt works for me it still crashes but now only a little later after the intro was finished

Message 7 of 11 (11,013 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I would just like to say thank you for posting your solution here. I just changed the settings according to your instructions and now my game works, thank you very much Standard smile

Message 8 of 11 (9,229 Views)

★★★ Newbie

This is a weird one. I found that the game crashes after the intro when it tries to load the main menu. This always happens, it doesn't matter what settings you use. But I found that the crash happens when my desktop resolution is set to 4k. If I set my desktop resolution to 1080P then the game will run and at 1080P windowed or fullscreen. Not sure why but having your desktop resolution set higher than 1080 seems to make it crash when it tries to load the main menu. 

Hope this helps some people Standard smile

Message 9 of 11 (8,181 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Newbie

@paradoxconThanks! This solution worked for me over the accepted solution from @irkillroy (which I also tried). While using my 4k monitor, I first set Windows 10 resolution to 1080p, then launched Renegade, and it works just fine.

Message 10 of 11 (7,036 Views)