administrator privilege

by woistoe

Original Post

Accepted Solution

administrator privilege

★★★ Newbie

I would like to play again The Generals and Tiberian Sun Firestorm. This time on my laptop. I installed The Generals but am denied access because of the fact that they want adminstrator privilege. Can I play them withour that right?

Message 1 of 4 (4,976 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: administrator privilege

Community Manager

@woistoe To create an admin account on Windows:

1. Navigate to the Control Panel.

2. Double-click User Accounts, click Manage User Accounts, and then click Add....
  3. Enter a name and domain for the administrator account. Click Next >.
  4. In Windows 10, select Administrator.

In Windows 8.x and earlier, select the radio button titled Other:, and then, from the drop-down menu, choose Administrators.

5. Click Finish, which will take you back to the "User Accounts" dialog box. Click OK.
Darko.png

View in thread

Message 2 of 4 (5,108 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager

@woistoe To create an admin account on Windows:

1. Navigate to the Control Panel.

2. Double-click User Accounts, click Manage User Accounts, and then click Add....
  3. Enter a name and domain for the administrator account. Click Next >.
  4. In Windows 10, select Administrator.

In Windows 8.x and earlier, select the radio button titled Other:, and then, from the drop-down menu, choose Administrators.

5. Click Finish, which will take you back to the "User Accounts" dialog box. Click OK.
Darko.png
Message 2 of 4 (5,109 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@woistoe

Find the game folder, locate generals.exe, right-click it and open its properties. In the compatibility tab, select "run this program as administrator".

Or, you know, don't install the games under the Program Files folder; that often helps a lot as well. You can change the folder in which Origin installs your games.

As for the older games... Command & Conquer 1, Red Alert 1 and Tiberian Sun have all been upgraded with community-created unofficial patches that fix a lot of their bugs and compatibility problems. For Red Alert 2 there's a more general patch that solves a lot of its graphics problems. You can find them here:

Command & Conquer 1:

Red Alert 1:

Tiberian Sun:

Red Alert 2:

• The graphics system patch DDWrapper is known to solve a multitude of graphics problems, including the "black screen" issue.
    Download the zip file and extract "ddraw.dll" and "aqrit.cfg" into your game folder. Then, open the configuration file "aqrit.cfg" in Notepad, change the "ForceDirectDrawEmulation" option to 1, save the file, and try running the game again.
  • If you still have problems with RA2 even after this, I advise installing the CnCNet installer for RA2/YR. It comes with a bunch of automatic fixes, and has a configuration tool which offers more choices in graphics fixes than just DDWrapper, so if one doesn't work you can just try if some of the other options do the trick.

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.
Message 3 of 4 (4,936 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@EA_Darko I have the same issue but for Red Alert 2 and the original command and conquer. I know this thread is from 2018 but hoping there is something else I can do. I played the game yesterday after finding my laptop in a box. The game was on the old origin app. This morning it has auto installed the ea app and I now can’t play the games. each time I load them it says administrator needs to authorise. Which iam the administrator for the laptop. It doesn’t make send
Message 4 of 4 (1,151 Views)