Re: Windows 10

by FunkyFr3shCnCNet

Original Post

Windows 10

★★ Novice

Will Command & Conquer The Ultimate Edition Work with Windows 10?  I have heard that several apps are not compatible.

Message 1 of 7 (1,117 Views)

Hero

@jimmer1960

Moved your thread to C&C UC forum for better help

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 7 (1,105 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

Ironically, those with the most chance of working right are the oldest three; Command & Conquer 1 and Red Alert 1, and probably Tiberian Sun as well, should work perfectly on Windows 10 with the community-created fan patches that are available for them.

For the newer games, though, I honestly have no clue. Several facts complicate things for those: they're not freeware, meaning they have copy protection that needs to be left intact for the fan-patches to not simply become cracks, and they generally make more use of the Windows registry and special folders (like settings in the My Documents and Application Data folders).

But of course, for those three earliest ones, since they're freeware, you don't actually need TUC at all. You can find them here:

Command & Conquer 1:

On Windows 10, C&C1 probably needs you to manually enable Windows 95 compatibility mode on the C&C95.exe file after install, though. I should really update the patch and its config tool to do that correctly -_-

Red Alert 1:

Tiberian Sun:

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.
Message 3 of 7 (1,102 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

Windows 10 seems to have the same problems as windows 8, Tiberian Sun was working fine using the windows 8 patches. Red Alert 1 is working fine too, so CnC1 should be good to go!

The only new known problem of windows 10 is that the old LAN patch doesn't seems to work (the games will not start up if the LAN patch is in the folder), that should be easy to fix tho (playing LAN works on CnCNet too without the need for a LAN patch anyways!)

So... like nyer said, use the community patches for the first 3 games and for the newer games try to use the fixes that worked on windows 8!

Message 4 of 7 (1,086 Views)

Hero

I substituted the LAN dll in the 1.06 patch with the cncnet dll ages ago anyway.

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.
Message 5 of 7 (1,079 Views)
Highlighted

★★ Guide

cncnet.dll aka cncnet4 will cause the freeze problem on windows 10, so you better remove it on the next update!

Message 6 of 7 (1,070 Views)

Hero

So, um, what the heck AM I supposed to use then? 

Message 7 of 7 (1,065 Views)