Windows 10 running Yuri's Revenge

by Bazzak27

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Windows 10 running Yuri's Revenge

★★★ Newbie

I have just recently upgraded from Windows 7 to 10. My Yuri's Revenge Game ran perfectly on Windows 7, but on Windows 10 it is freezing up all the time, which means I lose it as I have to reboot the computer every time.

Any thing I can do or download to fix the problem?

Message 1 of 12 (94,311 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Windows 10 running Yuri's Revenge

Community Manager

@DexyNesy Sorry to hear that you are facing difficulties in getting the game to run, this thread has some troubleshooting steps that may help but please be advised that the linked to file is not an EA approved file so when downloading it you do so at your own risk: https://answers.ea.com/t5/C-C-The-Ultimate-Collection/CC-Red-Alert-2-Yuri-s-Revenge-Graphics-Patch-F...

Darko.png

View in thread

Message 8 of 12 (87,820 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

The problem is the game bounces back and forth from virtual to physical RAM for graphics pulls.  That is most noticeable when there is a lot going on with large numbers of personnel and machines, load screens and movie excerpts.  For some reason, these newer OS types like 8-windows 10 don't like that sort thing and causes many rendering problems. There is a patch however that will fix the issue.  I have provided a patch download link below.

Graphics Patch LINK

Do things in this order>

1 download the link and extract the file.

2 Make a new empty folder on your desktop and place the extracted file in there

Locate yuri's game EXE file/ AKA application.  It will be under C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Command and Conquer Red Alert II  The file is called gamemd The file is 4,704 KB

4 Right click on it and copy. You will then want to paste that file in the folder with the patch you created earlier on your desktop in step 2.

5 Now you will want to run the patch file and activate the patch. Its so quick and easy it is self explainable.

6 Once you have done that, you will now right click on the same EXE file and copy it once more.

7 Re-paste that file back where you got it from in step 3

8 Your all done. Things should now run really fast and smooth. No more freeze ups!

9 This can be done with both Yuri's Revenge EXE (gamemd) and you can also follow the exact same steps with EXE (game) to patch RED ALERT 2 as well.

Message 2 of 12 (94,069 Views)

★★★ Newbie

it didnt work unfortunately

Message 3 of 12 (86,653 Views)

Community Manager

@4307jdWhat is the problem you are having?

Darko.png
Message 4 of 12 (86,394 Views)

★★★ Newbie

This only seems to happen in YR for me, not RA2, but after all the patches and .ini file changes it still crashes. I got RA2 to work fine from Origin in windowed mode, but I'm forced to use the launcher file itself to even load YR without blackscreen. It's so confusing honestly, I don't know why the games act differently like this.

Message 5 of 12 (85,980 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Thanks - it worked!  

On my new computer, it's now SO fast I have to go to game settings to slow it down

Message 6 of 12 (85,220 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I get the code saying access to the path 'C:\Users\dexd1\Desktop\Red Alert 2 Patch\gamed.exe' is denied. What should I do now?

Message 7 of 12 (84,749 Views)

Community Manager

@DexyNesy Sorry to hear that you are facing difficulties in getting the game to run, this thread has some troubleshooting steps that may help but please be advised that the linked to file is not an EA approved file so when downloading it you do so at your own risk: https://answers.ea.com/t5/C-C-The-Ultimate-Collection/CC-Red-Alert-2-Yuri-s-Revenge-Graphics-Patch-F...

Darko.png
Message 8 of 12 (87,821 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Tried this several times and no joy Frown

Message 9 of 12 (67,394 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Tried this but did not work for me.

Upgraded from windows7 to 10

When I run Yuri Revenge i get "Error - Unable to set video Mode"

Any idea's?