Re: Which version to buy

by Nyerguds

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Which version to buy

★★ Novice

Hi 

I want to buy Red Alert and play on my PC - not online.

I need help because I am not sure which version to buy: Origin or Steam?

Thank you

Message 1 of 5 (561 Views)

Accepted Solution

[ Edited ]
Hero

@vp899 

Are you talking about the Remaster or about the original game? Because the original Red Alert is freeware.

As for the Remaster, the only difference is that the Steam version has integration with the Steam workshop to download maps, missions and mods. I'm not sure if the Origin version plain can't use any of that, or if it's simply restricted in that you can't upload anything yourself to the workshop without owning it on Steam.

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.

View in thread

Message 2 of 5 (522 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
Hero

@vp899 

Are you talking about the Remaster or about the original game? Because the original Red Alert is freeware.

As for the Remaster, the only difference is that the Steam version has integration with the Steam workshop to download maps, missions and mods. I'm not sure if the Origin version plain can't use any of that, or if it's simply restricted in that you can't upload anything yourself to the workshop without owning it on Steam.

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.
Message 2 of 5 (523 Views)

★★ Novice

Hi thanks for the answer. 

In the old days I played the collection Command & Conquer from CDs. But as Windows changed versions I couldn't play anymore. 

So I just want to play again on Windows 10 this time. 

Does the freeware play on Windows 10?

But I guess the Remastered version. 

Thanks again

Message 3 of 5 (513 Views)

Hero

@vp899 

The original games have been maintained by the community, and the downloads I linked to come pre-patched with upgrades that ensure they should work fine on modern OSes.

As for the Remasters, well, the only difference between the Steam and Origin version is that the Origin version does not have the integrated Steam Workshop, containing a ton of user made mods, maps and missions. Such addon content can still be used on the Origin version, but you'd have to find a different place to download it from.

Message 4 of 5 (479 Views)

★★ Novice

Thank you very much for your help and your work. I will try both I think. 

Message 5 of 5 (459 Views)