Tiberian Twilight 404 Error Trying to Communicate with Server

by ponic3

Original Post

Tiberian Twilight 404 Error Trying to Communicate with Server

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

Going to head off a comment at the pass. Yes I am fully aware this game is terrible (and I agree) but I still would like it to work. It was a totally unsatisfying end to the Tiberian saga but it was an ending nonethelss, and I did have a little bit of fun with its gameplay here and there in the campaign.

Now, I'm trying to log into Tiberian Twilight and I can't get past the login screen, I keep getting a 404 error from the game. It was working fine 3 days ago (ps I bought this as part of C&C Ultimate Collection on Origin, not Steam years and years ago). Here is a list of things I've tried

1.) Uninstall and reinstall the game (while being certain all files were deleted from the computer)

2.) run the game as an admin

3.) shut off my firewall

4.) Flush my DNS

5.) Unplug and replug my router (which is a massive pain in the behind considering it takes 30 minutes to reboot it. My internet is very powerful and the router is a beast)

6.) Repair game files

7.) Uninstall and reinstall Origin

8.) Clear Origin cache

9.) Run game in compatibility mode (had never been required, before)

Tried contacting EA support, they have no idea beyond suggesting I try contacting my ISP. That makes no sense because if my ports were not working right then nothing on the internet for this computer would be working right, and I have no plan to call my ISP to ask them if there is something wrong with ONE game that worked fine 3 days ago (nothing has changed in those 3 days). Also last time I chatted with EA support the dude gave up and hung up on me, no idea why.

Anyone know what is happening. A 404 error would suggest there is an issue with the servers, such as my computer is pinging the servers and receiving nothing in response. If nothing else I'm more just interested because this one is a bit of a mystery. As an experiment, I tried connected to another online multiplayer game...no problem. Any help or insight is appreciated. At this point I'm more just intrigued than annoyed.

Message 1 of 9 (2,024 Views)

Re: Tiberian Twilight 404 Error Trying to Communicate with Server

★★★★★ Newbie

no answer, but the same problem started 3 day s ago. tell us  how we can fix it. please, thnx.

Message 2 of 9 (1,980 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Newbie

Same issue here...

and no, it's not the ISP - same issue occur on different internet break-outs (3G/LTE as well as cable ans also using DSL line).

directly on ea.com it's possible to login with the same credentials.

did some trace and looks like an issue at wal.tools.gos.ea.com.

also the traces showed up that user + password are transmitted in plain text Large smile so may it would be recommended to get sure that the password used for ea is not in use for any other account.

commincation to wal.tools.gos.ea.com is done unencrypted thru HTTP and in the request contins the credentials.

GET /wal/authentication/login?mail=$MAILADDRESS&pass=$PASSWORD

also other links from the login screen does not work anymore, e.g.

Online-security -> https://www.ea.com/de-de/pages/8070 --> 404

or

abuse report -> http://help.commandandconquer.com/ -> domain not in public DNS.

kind regards

Message 3 of 9 (1,968 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

same here

bought the ultimate collection on origin and wanted to give the CnC 4 campaign a spin again for old times sake. Sadly that plan failed at the login screen (Error 404)

Message 4 of 9 (1,957 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

So it seems that this is clearly not my problem, unless we all suddenly had port issues and this is a server issue on EA's end. However with TT being...well what it is. I'm wondering how long until the issue is fixed, or if ever. If no one minds me speaking frankly now that we're 11 years after release, I think EA should seriously consider releasing offline options for the game. I mean realistically it would free up their IT crew from maintaining servers, and it would prevent such issues from occurring again. We're 11 years post release, if anyone wanted to pirate the game they've had ample opportunity to do it.

Message 5 of 9 (1,907 Views)

★★★ Newbie

The issue is with EA/Origin. I was investigating and found others on Steam with the same issue: https://steamcommunity.com/app/47700/discussions/0/4677521348347915676/

I opened a case with Origin: #75555468, but was unable to get a web chat to start. The issue may be more extensive? Since it's an Error 404, it's a "common" webserver issue. Since you got a response with the error, your LAN & networking, firewall, DNS, and ISP are free from fault. Especially if you're able to get to other internet locations.

When you contact support, they have their "script" they follow: "Reboot, restart, check your stuff...etc". When enough complaints come in they say, "Gee, there may be another problem". Unfortunately we're at their mercy to wait until it's fixed.

Since it's an older game with no "revenue" rolling in, weekend repair is doubtful. We may not see anything until weekday support comes in, does the priority stuff first, then look to see if a server crashed when they have time.

Looks like I'll play some older C&C until the problem's fixed. Stay safe and cross your fingers!

Message 6 of 9 (1,895 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Same issue and did everything you listed as well. The problem must lie on their end. 

Message 7 of 9 (1,884 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Just got off the phone with them. Basically told me to get a refund from origin bc there were not supporting that game anymore and didn't have an estimated time frame of when it will be fixed. They shut down the public servers but should still work for private. Which that last part didn't make sense.If you shut down servers how would we connect?

Message 8 of 9 (1,822 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

So you got told the equivalent of "meh" by EA, eh? OK, to be fair we are talking about an 11 year old game that EA hardly turned a profit on, and has never brought a shred of money in a few months post game launch. So on the 1 hand I do understand why EA wouldn't have it as a high priority when the servers have issues, I'm actually surprised they kept them going considering all the behind the scenes work that go on when trying to keep servers up.

It just feels like a final slap that this was the ending we got, they put it behind an internet wall, and then shut it down. I just feel if EA really sees no money in this and doesn't see the value of keeping C&C4 active then they should really consider just sending a patch out to make it work offline. It would free up their resources and it wouldn't really annoy anyone who may want to play it, even considering what kind of a game it was.

Also, you are right, what in the world does "private servers" still work, mean?

Edit: for anyone still following this, the game works again. I just played a round. If anyone from EA is reading this, I stand by what I said, but I give you credit for turning the servers back on, anyways...and also the fact that to my memory this is the first time in the 11 years the game has been out that this has happened so...little miracles, I suppose?

Message 9 of 9 (1,454 Views)