Tiberian Sun not working after intro, Windows 8

by gemnewton

Original Post

Re: Tiberian Sun not working after intro, Windows 8

Community Manager

Ok then, at least that's ruled out. 

Just to double check, be sure to have manually updated your drivers through the Radeon website, as opposed to letting drivers auto-update. 

I do see references to a community fix over at the main C&C forums, but it's not official. http://www.commandandconquer.com/forums/index.php/topic/26975-running-tiberian-sun-on-windows-8/

As with any unofficial fix, be sure to scan and make a backup first

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 21 of 35 (883 Views)

★ Apprentice

I tried that fix a few times and each time the game wouldn't run at all. I will double check my driver is upto date.

Message 22 of 35 (881 Views)

★ Apprentice

I've done the updates for my driver but this still hasn't resolved it.

I will try that patch again in different compatibility modes.

Message 23 of 35 (878 Views)

★ Apprentice

Yeah that fix doesn't work on any compatibility mode, its says the exe has stopped working. However when I removed the ddraw.dll it loads me to the menu, but it is still not going past the menu.

Message 24 of 35 (875 Views)

★ Apprentice

Is there a mod that can fix this?

Message 25 of 35 (854 Views)

★ Apprentice

Right well I've lost faith its taking far too long, seems this problem is beyond fixable for EA so I want to know how to get a refund now.

Message 26 of 35 (850 Views)

★ Apprentice

Hellllllooooooooooooo?

Message 27 of 35 (821 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Did you ever figure it out? I have the exact same problem, and the same OS

Message 28 of 35 (804 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

Hi there.

I know I'm a bit late to the party, but wanted to post an expanded solution (based on an answer given by pcobb23 in another forum) in case anyone else had this (very frustrating) problem. I was having the exact same issues as the above posts on my Win8.1 64bit machine, using an Origin digital download of the game (as part of a C&C multi-pack). I was able to successfully resolve the issue the following way:

SOLUTION:

Step 1.  Find your Tiberian Sun install directory in Program Files ...which was in my case "Origin Games", (but others may have to look in "Westwood Studios", "EA Games" or similar if you've stumbled upon this support thread from a search engine).

Step 2.  Right click on "Game.exe" application, and select properties.

Step 3.  In the Compatibility tab, check the box "Run this program in compatabilty mode for:"

Step 4.  Select a compatibility mode*. In my case, Windows XP (Service Pack 3) is working.

Step 5.  Check the box which says "Reduce Color Mode", then set the color mode to 16-bit color.

Step 6.  Also check the box that says "Run this program as an admistrator". Click apply and then ok.

Then...

Step 7.   Download the below .ZIP patch file (posted by some legend from C&C Communications Centre fan forum) and simply extract the files directly into the Tiberian Sun install folder (from Step 1).

http://tore.cnc-comm.com/TS_Win8fix.zip

(I have checked the patch, it contains no malware.)

*I played around with every compatibility setting until I found one that worked... in my case it was Win XP (Service Pack 3), but I have read other forums suggesting WinXP SP2 and Win7.... if not getting the results you want, keep trying new compatibility settings! Note, as mentioned by an EA mod in another thread, this isn't an official EA patch, so he recommended backing up before trying it out.

Really hope this helps someone out there!

Message 29 of 35 (738 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I am unable to extract the files from the .zip file.  Help?

Message 30 of 35 (673 Views)