Red alert 2

by bahy88

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Red alert 2

★★★ Newbie

I recently bought the command and conquer collection on origin and every time I start a game in red alert 2 my units instantly die. what can cause this?

Message 1 of 2 (698 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Red alert 2

[ Edited ]
Hero

@bahy88 

It's caused by a malfunction in the game's old CD copy protection. It happens.

A lot of the games have been upgraded with community-created unofficial patches that fix a lot of their bugs and compatibility problems. You can find them here:

Command & Conquer 1:

Red Alert 1:

Tiberian Sun:

Red Alert 2:

• I advise installing the CnCNet online play installer for RA2/YR. Even if you're not interested in online play, it comes with a bunch of automatic fixes. It should automatically take care of the "black screen" issue, and has a configuration tool that allows further tweaking of the game's settings.

Generals:

• GenTool seems to be the main patch for Generals these days. The website is kind of vague on what it does besides restoring multiplayer and adding anti-cheat, but I heard it does a lot to make it work better on modern OSes too.

Renegade:

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.

View in thread

Message 2 of 2 (673 Views)

All Replies

Re: Red alert 2

[ Edited ]
Hero

@bahy88 

It's caused by a malfunction in the game's old CD copy protection. It happens.

A lot of the games have been upgraded with community-created unofficial patches that fix a lot of their bugs and compatibility problems. You can find them here:

Command & Conquer 1:

Red Alert 1:

Tiberian Sun:

Red Alert 2:

• I advise installing the CnCNet online play installer for RA2/YR. Even if you're not interested in online play, it comes with a bunch of automatic fixes. It should automatically take care of the "black screen" issue, and has a configuration tool that allows further tweaking of the game's settings.

Generals:

• GenTool seems to be the main patch for Generals these days. The website is kind of vague on what it does besides restoring multiplayer and adding anti-cheat, but I heard it does a lot to make it work better on modern OSes too.

Renegade:

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.
Message 2 of 2 (674 Views)