Re: Red Alert, The aftermath, Counterstrike DIRECT X SETUP ERROR

by Doiin16

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Red Alert, The aftermath, Counterstrike DIRECT X SETUP ERROR

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

Hi,

I'm after some help I've downloaded all the Collection and installed them all bar the Command & Conquer Red Alert - The Aftermath & Counterstrike. It gets to 25% and I get this message:

"DirectX Setup Error: The cabinet (.cab) file is not signed"

Origin is no help and can't find anything around so I thought I would give this a shot for the first time.

Any help would be really useful

Thanks

Message 1 of 14 (4,280 Views)

Accepted Solution

[ Edited ]
Community Manager (retired)

Hi doiin16,

I may possibly be able to help you with this. Could you go to the installation folder of the specific command and conquer you are trying to install, by default this will be C:\Program Files\Origin Games\Command and Conquer.

If you are using a 64 bit version of Windows replace Program files with Program files(x86).

Once here can you will see a number of folders, such as core, _Installer and HTML etc. Do you see a folder marked DirectX?

Thanks.

RIck.

[Moderator edit: fixed the path. Program Files is never under the user folder as far as I know. For reference, here's how to find your games folder]

View in thread

Message 2 of 14 (4,915 Views)

Hi,

Is Red Alert the one you are having trouble with? I just want to make sure as I thought that it might have something to do with the DirectX folder being outsider the _Installer folder.

Just to be certain can you go into the DirectX folder - redist, once here there should be a number of archive files, can you let me know if any and or all of these files end in .cab?

Thanks.

View in thread

Message 4 of 14 (4,905 Views)

Hi doiin16,

Yes that helps a lot thank you. First, logout and close Origin. Then I want you to create a new folder in the redist folder(call it anything you want). Arrange the folder by type to show all the .cab files together, then cut and paste the .cab files into that newly created folder.

This should leave the two .dll files, the setup file and your new folder.  Next step; log back in to Origin and try to install the game again.

Let me know how you get on.

Thanks.

View in thread

Message 6 of 14 (4,901 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]

Hi doiin16,

I may possibly be able to help you with this. Could you go to the installation folder of the specific command and conquer you are trying to install, by default this will be C:\Program Files\Origin Games\Command and Conquer.

If you are using a 64 bit version of Windows replace Program files with Program files(x86).

Once here can you will see a number of folders, such as core, _Installer and HTML etc. Do you see a folder marked DirectX?

Thanks.

RIck.

[Moderator edit: fixed the path. Program Files is never under the user folder as far as I know. For reference, here's how to find your games folder]

Message 2 of 14 (4,916 Views)

★ Novice

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the quick reply.

this is the file path i have taken.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Command and Conquer Red Alert

and I see the folders mentioned but the DirectX Folder is inside the _Installer folder is this correct? if so i'm in the place you would like me to be.

Regards

Message 3 of 14 (4,266 Views)

Hi,

Is Red Alert the one you are having trouble with? I just want to make sure as I thought that it might have something to do with the DirectX folder being outsider the _Installer folder.

Just to be certain can you go into the DirectX folder - redist, once here there should be a number of archive files, can you let me know if any and or all of these files end in .cab?

Thanks.

Message 4 of 14 (4,906 Views)

★ Novice

HI,

Yeah Red Alert - The aftermath and Counterstrike is the only one i can't install the others are working.

I've gone to the folder and i have 157 items:

2 - are .dll ( DSETUP & dsetup32)

1 - is DXSETUP.exe.

154 - are .cab ranging from Apr2005_d3dx9_25_x64.cab all the way upto Jun2010_XAUDIO_x86.cab

hope that helps.

Message 5 of 14 (4,259 Views)

Hi doiin16,

Yes that helps a lot thank you. First, logout and close Origin. Then I want you to create a new folder in the redist folder(call it anything you want). Arrange the folder by type to show all the .cab files together, then cut and paste the .cab files into that newly created folder.

This should leave the two .dll files, the setup file and your new folder.  Next step; log back in to Origin and try to install the game again.

Let me know how you get on.

Thanks.

Message 6 of 14 (4,902 Views)

★ Novice

Hi Rick,

Thank you so much for your help i have done that and it has installed fine and works, What is it that causes the problem in the first place then?

and do i leave the .cab files in the new folder i created and no longer worry about them?

Thank you very much for your quick responses and help.

Regards

Doiin16

Message 7 of 14 (4,254 Views)

Hi doiin16,

That is great to hear. If you wish you can now delete that folder with the .cab files as they are no longer needed. It appears to come down to a problem with the DirectX extraction process during the installation of the game. By moving these .cab files, it forces Origin to use the DirectX setup again to ensure that it is correctly installing the right files to run the game.

I am very happy to hear that it is working for you now and glad I could help.

If you need anything else let us know.

Thanks.

Rick

Message 8 of 14 (4,242 Views)

★★★ Newbie

this worked for me also thanks

Message 9 of 14 (4,089 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I've got Windows 8 and had the exact same problem.

Have tried the steps shown above, but this didn't work for me.

Any other ideas?

Message 10 of 14 (3,997 Views)