Re: Red Alert 3 will no longer work after update.

by zogreentea

Original Post

Red Alert 3 will no longer work after update.

★ Novice

I recently installed my PC DVD version of Red Alert 3 on a laptop that I will be using for the next two weeks while I travel. After the installation and during the first run the game told me that I HAD to download an update to continue playing. I followed the instructions, let the game download and when it finished, restarted my laptop to finalize any installatons from the download. Upon attempting to insert the DVD once again to play the game, nothing happened. I opened MY COMPUTER and attempted to start the disc manually by running the .EXE programs on the DVD itself. Nothing happened. I could not get the installed uninstaller to work and as such followed the directions provided on EA's support page to manually uninstall the game and all its components. I then did a cleanup of the PC by defragmenting, doing a disc cleanup and running a 3rd party program called CCleaner to remove any left over files from the manual uninstall.

Upon attempting to reinsert the disc, the same issue occurs and the launcher never appears. I once again opened the DVD itself in MY COMPUTER and attempted to start the game via the .EXE and received a grey menu-screen much different from the original install screen. The only options present are: Play, Technical Support, Web, Check for Updates, Close. The only button that works is the Web button and that takes me to EA's Command and Conquer webpage. I have attempted several of the fixes that are posted on your forums and even those provided by your own support pages. None of them have resulted in a working product.

I purchased this game several years ago and it has been kept in pristine condition within a sealed case designed for long-term storage of CDs and DVDs.

The DVD drive of the laptop has been tested and is working fine.

Copying the files from the DVD to the Laptops hard drive and attempting to run it from the copied files, has proven no results.

Prior to updating the game, I was able to get to the Menu screen before the game demanded that I update.

The laptop is a fresh install of Windows Vista Ultimate.

Thank you for taking the time to aid me in this issue and I look forward to your swift and helpful reply.

Message 1 of 3 (1,238 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

Wow, I thought I was sending a message to their support team, not a forum full of people like me with issues, but no EA support reps who actually care. Sorry for the post all, but IM going to leave it here just incase.

From looking at the posts below me, I can see that not a single support Rep has answered a single question. So those who Google this same issue and read this page, lie. When applying for support, use the "Account management problem" instead of "installation". This will actually force the system to let you send a email response to their support team. I just finished this myself, so am not sure if they will tell me to F*** off or actually give me some **bleep** help.

I loved the Command and Conquer series since the original Red Alert on Playstation, but if this company can't be bothered to actually provide support for their games, I'm tempted to take a lighter and diesel fuel and burn every game of theirs on every shelf, of every **bleep** store that sells their products. If im going to pay regular price for a game that every other company charges, I expect the same amount of support. And since EA has such a large following and Billions earned each quarter from the Video Game industry alone....then we **bleep** well know that they have the funds to actually hire a group of individuals who merely sit down and help their customers.

That's my piece. Good day all.

Message 2 of 3 (1,237 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I have the same problem.

Did you ever get it working?

Message 3 of 3 (1,032 Views)