Red Alert 2 will not start on Win7 64 bit (C&C Ultimate Collection)

by pearo

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Red Alert 2 will not start on Win7 64 bit (C&C Ultimate Collection)

★★ Novice

I can see this question has been asked before but nothing works for me when trying to start RA2 on Win7 64bit.

I am not having any trouble with C&C3, C&C4, Red Alert 3 or the older C&C and RA1.

When starting RA2 I receive the error: "***FATAL*** String Manager failed to initialize properly."

Solutions I have tried and have not worked include: Running as administrator; compatibility with earlier Win options; disabling origin overlay; repairing install; trying to run from within the installation folder; using fixed launchers (links from the EA site). Found some suggestions to edit the RA2.ini but as the game will not start the ini has not generated, (made one myself but no luck).

I feel something is blocked right at the start - a permission or privilege? I have also read the game should be installed as an Admin - how do I do this on Origin? Hoping possible solutions do not include re-downloading the game!

Thanks in advance for any helpConfusedmileywink:

Message 1 of 5 (7,403 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Red Alert 2 will not start on Win7 64 bit (C&C Ultimate Collection)

★★ Guide

The game fails to register blowfish.dll and you end up with that error, and yes, that error is related to the lack of admin rights.

I made fix for that for Tiberian Sun, but it also works for Red Alert 2 since the problem is about the same file. You can try it out if you cannot get it working by reinstalling as admin: http://funkyfr3sh.cncnet.org/files/TiberianSunDllFix.exe

View in thread

Message 3 of 5 (9,105 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
Hero

The string manager thing is indeed caused by not running as administrator, but might indeed also be related to not installing as administrator. As for how t do that, uh, no idea, really. I assume launching the Origin client itself in Administrator mode and then doing a reinstall might do the trick?

As for the fixed launchers, I know they fix some registry stuff, yes, so they might help, but they're not on any EA site, though... they're here.

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.
Message 2 of 5 (7,385 Views)

★★ Guide

The game fails to register blowfish.dll and you end up with that error, and yes, that error is related to the lack of admin rights.

I made fix for that for Tiberian Sun, but it also works for Red Alert 2 since the problem is about the same file. You can try it out if you cannot get it working by reinstalling as admin: http://funkyfr3sh.cncnet.org/files/TiberianSunDllFix.exe

Message 3 of 5 (9,106 Views)

★★ Novice

Thankyou so much FunkyFr3shCnCNet !!!!!! Your fix has solved the problem. Game runs beautiful. I am very appreciative. Post accepted as solution, (obviously)! Confusedmileyhappy:

Message 4 of 5 (7,360 Views)

★★★ Newbie
Cant get it to work is still giving me the fatal message
Message 5 of 5 (4,039 Views)