Red Alert 2 extreme lag

by auzyortman

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Red Alert 2 extreme lag

★★★ Newbie

I have a Lenovo Yoga X1 with Windows 10 and downloaded Command & Conquer Ultimate Collection form Origin and tried to play Red Alert 2.  It opened and it was a frozen screen with the audio running fine.  Then 10-15 seconds later, the screen changed to the scene that matched the current audio.  This continued every 10-15 seconds.   I found out that when I press the volume up or down buttons it snaps to the display that matches the audio but remains frozen.  Every time I press these buttons it corrects itself.  It looks like I'm running a slideshow.   I obviously can't play the game while pressing the volume button repeatedly the whole time.  I tried altering the compatibility settings but no luck.  I looked online and saw something about putting Videobuffer=No in the video portion of the configuration settings but there wasn't a video part in my RA2 or RA2MD configuration settings.  Only multiplayer preferences.  Please help.  If this doesn't get solved then i just wasted $20 and you lost a future customer.  

Message 1 of 13 (32,327 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Red Alert 2 extreme lag

Message 3 of 13 (33,887 Views)

All Replies

@Nyergudscan you help, mate?! Seems like is right on your alleyStandard smile

I do not work for EA and i am not associated with the company in any way. I am a player just like you, trying to help wherever i can.I will not answer to any unsolicited PM.

Message 2 of 13 (32,289 Views)

Message 3 of 13 (33,888 Views)

Message 4 of 13 (32,266 Views)

Hero

@ivrognard Neogrant is actually a lot more well-versed in RA2 stuff than I am - he maintains the RA2 multiplayer on CnCNet

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.
Message 5 of 13 (32,269 Views)

EA DICE Team

@Nyerguds @ivrognard

That's helpful to know! 

@neogrant - are you ok with someone tagging you or reaching out to you if they are stuck with anything RA2 related? Standard smile

Message 6 of 13 (32,236 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hi there...I seem to also be having the same problem and worse still, the game hangs several times and I have to re-start my PC...damn irritating!! You think you have a solution for me?

Message 7 of 13 (32,143 Views)

★★ Novice

RA2, configuration file and RA2MD cofiguration file

add VideoBackBuffer=no, under video in both configuration files. although this has not resolved my game issue with viceo changes. it does stop the game from lagging

the file should look similiar to this.

[Intro]
Play=no

[Options]
GameSpeed=3
Difficulty=1
CampDifficulty=0
ScrollMethod=0
ScrollRate=3
AutoScroll=yes
DetailLevel=2
SidebarCameoText=yes
UnitActionLines=yes
ShowHidden=no
ToolTips=yes

[Video]
VideoBackBuffer=no
ScreenWidth=640
ScreenHeight=480
StretchMovies=no

[Audio]
SoundVolume=0.700000
VoiceVolume=0.700000
ScoreVolume=0.400000
IsScoreRepeat=no
IsScoreShuffle=no
SoundLatency=9
InGameMusic=yes

Message 8 of 13 (15,315 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Just bought the Remastered addition of CnC and RA and decided to get the Ultimate Collection since I am going back overseas soon. After downloading is onto my ASUS Zephyrus G15 and it is completely laggy. The video at the beginning was so choppy that I could barely watch it, and when I finally got into the game it would take about a minute to buffer everything. I looked online, even followed the directions of everyone about downloading CnCNET and trying the compatibility troubleshooter, and even looked into the files for RA2 and RA2MD. I found the RA2 file but could not find a settings configuration file with RA2MD on it. I am really pissed about this and could use any help what so ever. If you reply, can you break it down Barney style for me? 

Laptop specs: Windows 10 Home/16GB Ram/NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX/Intel i7/ 500GB SSD

Message 9 of 13 (13,491 Views)

★★ Novice

edit the RA2 configuration file and RA2MD configuration file

edit VideoBackBuffer=no, under video in both configuration files. it does stop the game from lagging- still cannot change video resolution, but at least you can play the game

the file should look similar to this.

[Intro]
Play=no

[Options]
GameSpeed=3
Difficulty=1
CampDifficulty=0
ScrollMethod=0
ScrollRate=3
AutoScroll=yes
DetailLevel=2
SidebarCameoText=yes