Re: Red Alert 2 Yuri's Revenge Freezing Up

by thdhsr

Original Post

Red Alert 2 Yuri's Revenge Freezing Up

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

When the C&C RA2 Yuri's Revenge main menu screen & skirmish options screen are used then the game starts to freeze up. I usually have to use "ctrl", "alt" & "del" keys a few times to exit out. I've tried to uninstall then reinstall it as well as reload it, and I've checked to see if it needed to be updated. Still can't figure it out though, if any one has any idea what's wrong I would really appreciate the help.

Message 1 of 19 (62,735 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

The problem is the game bounces back and forth from virtual to physical RAM for graphics pulls.  That is most noticeable when there is a lot going on with large numbers of personnel and machines, load screens and movie excerpts.  For some reason, these newer OS types like 8-windows 10 don't like that sort thing and causes many rendering problems. There is a patch however that will fix the issue.  I have provided a patch download link below.

Graphics Patch LINK

Do things in this order>

1 download the link and extract the file.

2 Make a new empty folder on your desktop and place the extracted file in there

Locate yuri's game EXE file/ AKA application.  It will be under C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Command and Conquer Red Alert II  The file is called gamemd The file is 4,704 KB

4 Right click on it and copy. You will then want to paste that file in the folder with the patch you created earlier on your desktop in step 2.

5 Now you will want to run the patch file and activate the patch. Its so quick and easy it is self explainable.

6 Once you have done that, you will now right click on the same EXE file and copy it once more.

7 Re-paste that file back where you got it from in step 3

8 Your all done. Things should now run really fast and smooth. No more freeze ups!

9 This can be done with both Yuri's Revenge EXE (gamemd) and you can also follow the exact same steps with EXE (game) to patch RED ALERT 2 as well.

Message 2 of 19 (62,559 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Thank you so much!! Really Really helpful information.. it made my Day Standard smile

Message 3 of 19 (55,628 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

IN ORIGIN RED ALERT 2 GAME FREEZE CAN BE CORRECTED WITH THESE STEPS

1. LEFT CLICK ON ORIGIN

2. LEFT CLICK MY GAME LIBRARY

3. RIGHT CLICK RED ALERT

4. POPUP WILL WILL BE SEEN  THEN UN-CHECK BOX IF CHECKED

5. RESTART YOUR DESKTOP.  NOW THE GAME WILL NOT FREEZE UP!

Message 4 of 19 (52,690 Views)

★★★ Novice

No benefit. Windows 10.  

Message 5 of 19 (48,199 Views)

★★★★ Guide

@thdhsr I think these steps mean you should just disabled Origin In-game? This could have helped in the past, but after lots of Origin-updates, this should have been fixed. So, the cause now should be different.

Message 6 of 19 (47,927 Views)

★ Novice

I have got same problem too..

Message 7 of 19 (47,887 Views)

★★★★ Guide

@s_ofsilence Congratulations Confused Please try the above proposed solutions first, follow them to the detail, and then report back if it helped or not. You are providing so little information for us..... Which version of the game are you using? Origin or CD? Which Windows version are you running? Any cracks, mods or modifications installed?

Message 8 of 19 (47,869 Views)

★★★ Newbie

using the patch method worked great for me. using Origin downloaded version of Red Alert 2 Yuri's Revenge. No more lag,slow respond or crashes! 100% fixed,thank you! 

Message 9 of 19 (47,031 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I've downloaded the game recently and had the same issue...

My solution was:

1. go find the .ini files for both RA2 and the Yuri's Revenge in your game file, i.e. the RA2.INI and the RA2MD.INI, open it,

2. add "VideoBackBuffer=no" below the "[Video]" section to both files,

3. save the file and restart the game.

ofc you would want to run the game in compatbililty mode. I use XPSP3 for my WIN10 system.

Message 10 of 19 (41,469 Views)