Red Alert 2 Won't Install on Windows 10 64-Bit

by AGLts01

Original Post

Red Alert 2 Won't Install on Windows 10 64-Bit

★★★★ Novice

Hello all.

I am trying to install Command & Conquer Red Alert 2 (Not Yuri's Revenge) on my Windows 10 64-Bit PC. When I select Install, nothing happens, no error messages, zip.  Has anyone else experienced this problem and if so, would you please inform me how you solved it?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 8 (13,736 Views)

Re: Red Alert 2 Won't Install on Windows 10 64-Bit

Hero

@AGLts01

Are you talking about the Origin version, or the original CD version?

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.
Message 2 of 8 (13,702 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

i have the cd version and mine does the same thing know what i can do?

Message 3 of 8 (13,489 Views)

Hero

@AGLts01

@DavidHutton42

I... think you just need to run the installer in compatibility mode? Not sure though. These games use SafeDisc, and ever since Windows 10, SafeDisc plain and simply isn't supported at all anymore... but the install process should be unaffected by this; only the games themselves actually check that.

So yeah, as for the games themselves... they simply cannot run unless you remove their copy protection somehow. If you contact an Advisor via EA Help it's possible they would give you a digital download version of it (basically a trimmed down version of C&C: The Ultimate Collection), but I'm not 100% sure on their internal policies regarding redeeming older games.

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.
Message 4 of 8 (11,761 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Hello again,

Thanks for your reply. In response, I have the original CD version. Not the Origin one. I have tried using the following Compatibility Modes on my Windows 10 64-bit system: Windows 95/Windows 98/ME, Windows XP, SP2, all without success. When I try to load the game, nothing happens, no load screen, zip. The game used to work fine on my previous PC which had Windows XP Home Edition installed on it. Is there a compatibility mode I have missed?

Thanks.

Message 5 of 8 (11,746 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@AGLts01

Uh... before, you talked about installing, and now you're talking about "trying to load the game"? So which one is it? Did you manage to install, then?

As for the game itself, I do think my explanation was pretty clear: ever since Windows 10, the SafeDisc DRM the game uses plain and simply isn't supported at all anymore. Compatibility modes won't help you there; the ability of SafeDisc to do its job is simply blocked completely.

As I also said, the only workarounds are to remove the DRM, or to get the digital edition of the game.

Message 6 of 8 (11,708 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I have the original CD version.  I get to the screen saying 'Warning, Military Software Detected, security clearance required', but the game won't install, even though I tried installing it by using the Compatibility Wizard set for Windows XP SP3. Any help to resolve this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Message 7 of 8 (11,213 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I have just tried to reinstall the original Red Alert 2 (Not Yuri's Revenge) on my new Windows 10 64-bit PC. I only get as far as the warning message, but nothing else.

Message 8 of 8 (11,212 Views)