Red Alert 2 Unable to set video mode error on windows 10

by ParkAir024

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Red Alert 2 Unable to set video mode error on windows 10

★ Novice

I bought the c&c ultimate collection and I got all the games to work except red alert 2. yuri's revenge works but not the base game. I been trying all day but all it says is "error: unable to set video mode" I have windows 10.

my operating sys is:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6400 CPU 2.71GHz

Ram: 8gb

System type: 64-bit Operating Sys,x64- based processor

any help would be appreciative

Message 1 of 12 (118,496 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Red Alert 2 Unable to set video mode error on windows 10

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

@ParkAir024 Hey, can you try the steps in this post?

http://answers.ea.com/t5/C-C-The-Ultimate-Collection/Red-Alert-2-Error-unable-to-set-video-mode-need...

As well as the 16-bit color mode, you might want to try Windows XP SP3 compatibility mode too. 

i've also seen that some folks can fix this by adding a small edit to the RA2.ini file. 

it can be found at C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Command and Conquer Red Alert II and the fix is to add "VideoBackBuffer=no" without quotes to the [Video] section.

Thanks. 

David.png
Stay and Play.png

View in thread

Message 2 of 12 (141,922 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

@ParkAir024 Hey, can you try the steps in this post?

http://answers.ea.com/t5/C-C-The-Ultimate-Collection/Red-Alert-2-Error-unable-to-set-video-mode-need...

As well as the 16-bit color mode, you might want to try Windows XP SP3 compatibility mode too. 

i've also seen that some folks can fix this by adding a small edit to the RA2.ini file. 

it can be found at C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Command and Conquer Red Alert II and the fix is to add "VideoBackBuffer=no" without quotes to the [Video] section.

Thanks. 

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 2 of 12 (141,923 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Newbie

RA2.ini file is nowhere to be found. please help.

Yes i purchased this game through Origin.

Yes i am using Windows 10

i have changed the video mode to 16 bit but it still results in "cannot set video mode".

Message 3 of 12 (115,431 Views)

★ Novice

I'm also getting this problem, would really like a solution

Message 4 of 12 (112,409 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

@IsleyNumber1 @USMC_Baxter

There are only 3 reasons for this error:

1. Your windows runs in 32 bit color depth, which is usally the case since it is forced in win 8/10

Solution: Go into your Red Alert 2 folder, in there you will find "game.exe" and "gamemd.exe", right click -> properties -> compatibility, Enable "Reduced Color Mode: 16bit"

2. High dpi scaling

Solution: Go into your Red Alert 2 folder, in there you will find "game.exe" and "gamemd.exe", right click -> properties -> compatibility, Enable "Disable Display Scaling on High DPI Settings"

3. You chose a resolution that is not supported

Solution: You can change your resolution via ra2.ini and ra2md.ini - try 1280*720 (if the files don't exist, create them)

[Video]
ScreenWidth=1280
ScreenHeight=720

Message 5 of 12 (112,386 Views)

★ Novice

RA2.ini file is nowhere to be found. please help.

Yes i purchased this game through Origin.

Yes i am using Windows 10

i have changed the video mode to 16 bit but it still results in "cannot set video mode".

Message 6 of 12 (109,582 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

I'm in the same boat, just purchased and I'm running windows 10, have it set to run in 16 bit with windows xp service pack 3 compatibility. Override high DPI scaling selected. No .INI file for either, attempted to download a template and moved it into the red alert 2 folder. Still getting unable to set video mode error. Suggestions?

Message 7 of 12 (98,980 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I also had the same problem , the .ini file is the one of configuration type you haven't  probably enabled file extensions on windows. What fixed it for me is that i set the size in the .ini file as 1280x720 and then experimented with the resolutions in game options until it was running properly

Message 8 of 12 (98,272 Views)

★★ Novice

In compability mode check the "Windows 98/me" settings. that usually fixes all errors.

I have a different kind of probleem tho: My game doesn't show videos at all. it's like that option is turned off

Message 9 of 12 (93,863 Views)

★★★ Newbie

This actually works, Right click your game and click properties, then click compatibility, choose Run Windows 98/Me and reduce color to 16bit. it works for me it should do to you if you are getting an error saying unable to set video mode. tnx

Message 10 of 12 (55,927 Views)