Kane's Wrath "Fatal Error - Exception in Exception Handler"

by GDI-Steel-Talons

Original Post

Re: Kane's Wrath "Fatal Error - Exception in Exception Handler"

★ Novice

Sorry to dredge this up again, but I've just got the Ultimate Collection pack. I've managed to get every single game up and running, except for Kane's Wrath. For whatever reason, even with my Nvidia card drivers updated and trying the older DirectX fix, regardless of what compatibility mode I try to run this game in, it crashes. 

The C&C3 base game runs absolutely fine, it's just Kane's Wrath that I have any issue with right now. 

I'm on a Windows 10 Laptop with a Geforce 840M graphics card and an i5 processor.  

Kind of out of things to try now... Any hints would be appreciated as I never actually played C&C3 or 4 before, so it'd be nice to get KW up and running for the sake of completeness.

Message 61 of 80 (4,549 Views)

★★ Novice

so it took me a little while but what worked for me was to download the DX June 2010 update and install as described earlier...

then went into nvidia settings and changed global to high performance yadda...

then go into the main orgin games folder and search the 2 games...

for kanes wrath switch compatibility mode for CNC3EP1.exe to win7

for tiberium its the CNC3.exe you need to change to win7

all that did fix the issue and i can now change the resolution in game without it crashing and the game itself starts perfectly

only thing i am noticing is that it somehow messes with font size on right click and web browser windows after ending the game

enjoy

Message 62 of 80 (4,466 Views)

★ Novice

I managed to get it working after looking at what you said - What worked for me is going into the Nvidia settings and changing my GLOBAL setting to High Performance - Not making an exception for the game itself. For some reason, this was the one thing to get it working. 

Thank you for having me check there.

Message 63 of 80 (4,449 Views)

★★ Novice

great to hear....i had some issues when changing res to 1080p they were resolved after using compatibility as described...feel free to add me on origin and we can skirmish ! Wink

Message 64 of 80 (4,444 Views)

★ Novice

i have tried what you have suggested but it did not work i am still getting the same error.

Message 65 of 80 (4,245 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Hi

Have an Acer 7750G-6645, this game used to work back before EA messed with it. Have not changed computers, DirectX not solving the issue the "Call" command manages to launch past the "unhandled exception" error to "disconnected from server" after putting in the correct name & password.

I can no longer update video drivers because I switched BIOS to unlock the dedicated video card features (AMD 7760), but processor is i5-2450m.

Leshcat's last drivers that allow manipulation of video cards is 14.4. If I mess with intel drivers it throws off the entire video card setup.

I will not mess up a well working PC just for 1 game that EA doesn't want us to play anymore.

How convenient for a ruthless corporation to dictate what you can do with your paid for software. "just go buy a new game you bum".

Thanks All.

Message 66 of 80 (4,218 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@Cyberat

As far as we've determined, the issue is due to Intel HD graphics cards drivers; it has nothing to do with EA. And it didn't "stop working because they messed with it" either; the game was simply never created to run on this hardware; it was created to run on the hardware that existed ten years ago. I'm fairly sure the original DVD release of the game would have exactly the same error. Raised eyebrow

There's a rather gigantic difference between "changing a game causing it to no longer work" and "no longer updating a game to make it work on the thousands of new hardware setups that are created on a daily basis". Disappointed

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.
Message 67 of 80 (4,207 Views)

★ Novice

Where would one find this older driver? I have a Dell Latitude E7450with a intel core i5.  I've tried updating the drivers following your link with no results?  Should i change the compatibility?  I have windows 7.

Message 68 of 80 (3,838 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Try opening the additional commands and type in "-Dx9" to force open the application with direct X 9. I've had this problem for years and FINALLY found out how to play it again.

Message 69 of 80 (3,711 Views)

★ Novice

i have tried that it has not worked i have had the files verified and repaired both steam and origin versions which has gone in the right direction but still getting the error but i know that the windows os is looking for a solution

Message 70 of 80 (3,552 Views)