Issues with Command and Conquer: The Ultimate Collection

by clb80907

Original Post

Issues with Command and Conquer: The Ultimate Collection

★★★ Newbie

So here's the issue here: earlier today, I purchased a digital copy of Command and Conquer: The Ultimate Collection. So far, the following games have downloaded to my laptop: Command and Conquer and the Covert Operations, Command and Conquer Red Alert 2 and Yuri's Revenge,  Command and Conquer Red Alert, Counterstrike and The Aftermath, Command and Conquer 4 Tiberium Twilight, Command and Conquer Renegade, Command and Conquer Tiberian Sun , and Firestorm. At this time, I'm still waiting on Command and Conquer Generals, Zero Hour, Red Alert 3, Red Alert 3 Uprising, Tiberium Wars and Kane's Wrath to finish downloading. Out of all of those games that are included in this collection, only Tiberium Twilight works. Red Alert 2, Yuri's Revenge  and Tiberian Sun all display the following message when I attempt to boot them up: "Error - video mode will not set." For Command and Conquer and Covert operations, I get a simple error box with no dialogue in it. Renegades simply crashes, with an error message stating that an unknown problem caused Renegade to shut down, and that Windows will notify me when a solution is found.

Before anyone asks, here is the DxDiag info: System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 9/17/2013, 21:18:47
       Machine name: CHRIS
   Operating System: Windows 8 64-bit (6.2, Build 9200) (9200.win8_gdr.130531-1504)
           Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
       System Model: HP ProBook 4540s
               BIOS: 68IRR Ver. F.41
          Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-3110M CPU @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
             Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 3978MB RAM
          Page File: 1992MB used, 6082MB available
        Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
   User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
 System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
     DxDiag Version: 6.02.9200.16384 64bit Unicode

I've tried running the games both through my desktop and through Origin and get the same errors described above. I attempted to run them on a smaller scale setting and under different compatibility modes with no success. I tried running them as an administrator. I attempted two reboots, one of which was a clean reboot. I even attempted running them without my firewall and antivirus running for a moment and still no luck. So, I ask all of you: what do I do?

Message 1 of 4 (895 Views)

Re: Issues with Command and Conquer: The Ultimate Collection

★★ Guide

@clb80907 @Ask@EA_Nils or @EA_David for help

Message 2 of 4 (657 Views)

Hero

@Warrrior6081 Please stop @mentioning people on threads if you have nothing to actually reply. They'll see the thread when/if they visit this place.

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.
Message 3 of 4 (638 Views)

Hero

@clb80907

Command & Conquer 1, Red Alert 1 and Tiberian Sun have all been upgraded with community-created unofficial patches that fix a lot of their bugs and compatibility problems. For Red Alert 2 there's a more general patch that solves a lot of its graphics problems. You can find them here:

Command & Conquer 1:

Red Alert 1:

Tiberian Sun:

Red Alert 2:

• The graphics system patch DDWrapper is known to solve the "black screen" issue.
    Download the zip file and extract "ddraw.dll" and "aqrit.cfg" into your game folder. Then, open the configuration file "aqrit.cfg" in Notepad, change the "ForceDirectDrawEmulation" option to 1, save the file, and the game should work.

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.
Message 4 of 4 (637 Views)