Re: Is red alert 1 and tiberian sun now freeware

by Warrrior6081

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Is red alert 1 and tiberian sun now freeware

★★ Guide

Is red alert 1 and tiberian sun now a free ware because read https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Command_%26_Conquer:_Red_Alert and https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Command_%26_Conquer:_Tiberian_Sun said that you have make it a freeware

Message 1 of 12 (25,488 Views)

Accepted Solution

[ Edited ]
Hero

@Warrrior6081

Command & Conquer 1, Red Alert 1 and Tiberian Sun are indeed all freeware. Command & Conquer 1 was made freeware with the release of C&C3, Red Alert was made freeware when RA3 was released, and when they released C&C4 they made Tiberian Sun freeware too.

@EA_David is partially right; for C&C1 and RA1, the original ISOs were released, however, C&C1 was already patched on the DOS version, before the Win95 port was made, so the Win95 version never received any further official patches anyway, and the Tiberian Sun released by EA was simply the fully patched no-cd install from The First Decade, so neither of these games require any further patching. Red Alert is the original release version, though, so that one is indeed the original completely unpatched game.

But none of that really matters, since 1) the ancient CD installers of C&C1 and RA1 don't work on modern systems anyway, and 2) all three of these games have since been vastly upgraded with community-created unofficial patches. The install packs of the freeware games, including these community patches, can be found here:

Command & Conquer 1:

Red Alert 1:

Tiberian Sun:

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.

View in thread

Message 4 of 12 (26,209 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager

@Warrrior6081 They were made free alright, but EA doesn't host the files any more.

They should be pretty easy to find though, for example the notation link [6] on the RA wiki page leads to an archived site that hosts the rar files. 

I don't think these versions are the updated ones used in The Ultimate Collection, so you might have a bit of fun getting things running. 

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 2 of 12 (25,473 Views)

★★ Guide

Thanks for your reply

Message 3 of 12 (25,470 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@Warrrior6081

Command & Conquer 1, Red Alert 1 and Tiberian Sun are indeed all freeware. Command & Conquer 1 was made freeware with the release of C&C3, Red Alert was made freeware when RA3 was released, and when they released C&C4 they made Tiberian Sun freeware too.

@EA_David is partially right; for C&C1 and RA1, the original ISOs were released, however, C&C1 was already patched on the DOS version, before the Win95 port was made, so the Win95 version never received any further official patches anyway, and the Tiberian Sun released by EA was simply the fully patched no-cd install from The First Decade, so neither of these games require any further patching. Red Alert is the original release version, though, so that one is indeed the original completely unpatched game.

But none of that really matters, since 1) the ancient CD installers of C&C1 and RA1 don't work on modern systems anyway, and 2) all three of these games have since been vastly upgraded with community-created unofficial patches. The install packs of the freeware games, including these community patches, can be found here:

Command & Conquer 1:

Red Alert 1:

Tiberian Sun:

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.
Message 4 of 12 (26,210 Views)

★★ Guide

thanks

Message 5 of 12 (25,426 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

I forget to ask you whether DOSBOX is legal or not

Message 6 of 12 (25,389 Views)

Hero

@Warrrior6081 Ehh... DOSBox is just a free program. Why wouldn't it be legal?

None of these games require DOSBox though. They're all Windows games.

Message 7 of 12 (25,373 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide
Message 8 of 12 (25,343 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@Warrrior6081

Do you mean archive.org, or do you mean www.commandandconquer.com? Because www.commandandconquer.com is the official EA C&C portal, and archive.org is a service that seeks to preserve the past of the internet by constantly saving web pages and offering them as completely reconstructed websites. If you want to know the specifics of how legal that is, go read their Terms of Service. I think they're fricking heroes, personally.

Anyway... yes, that page was made by EA, and was indeed hosted on the official site in February 2010, and the downloads there actually pointed to files on EA servers, so they're pretty much the most legal you can get. That page no longer exists on the official site, and EA stopped hosting the files, but that doesn't mean the games are no longer freeware. There are enough places offering them online now that they no longer have to do it. And, by saving that web page and its linked files, archive.org is just another website offering them.

Nice to know that archive.org mirror actually has all fully functional links of the original downloads, though Standard smile

As I said, though, you're better off using the links I gave, since the old CD installers for C&C1 and RA1 don't run on 64-bit machines, and that Tiberian Sun pack was rather messy, since it was basically just the First Decade install dumped into a zip-file. It requires you to extract it in exactly the right folder, and to import the included registry stuff, before it works right.

Message 9 of 12 (25,289 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide
Message 10 of 12 (25,269 Views)