Re: Installing C&C95 on windows 10

by Nyerguds

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Installing C&C95 on windows 10

★★★★★ Newbie

Hi all. How can I play Command & Conquer 95 in windows 10? I couldnot even install it when I click on setup. 

Message 1 of 4 (996 Views)

Accepted Solution

[ Edited ]
Hero

@natnaikc 

I'm assuming you're trying to install from CD, on a 64-bit operating system. Yea, that plain doesn't work; the installer is a 16-bit program; the Windows 3.11 generation, and thus, really really obsolete.

Command & Conquer 1, Red Alert 1 and Tiberian Sun are all freeware, though, and have all been upgraded with community-created unofficial patches that fix a lot of their bugs and compatibility problems. You can find full installers for them here:

Command & Conquer 1:

Red Alert 1:

Tiberian Sun:

• Full game (scroll down to "single player, patches, linux and mac" and select "Single Player Campaign (Windows)" in the dropdown)

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.

View in thread

Message 2 of 4 (956 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
Hero

@natnaikc 

I'm assuming you're trying to install from CD, on a 64-bit operating system. Yea, that plain doesn't work; the installer is a 16-bit program; the Windows 3.11 generation, and thus, really really obsolete.

Command & Conquer 1, Red Alert 1 and Tiberian Sun are all freeware, though, and have all been upgraded with community-created unofficial patches that fix a lot of their bugs and compatibility problems. You can find full installers for them here:

Command & Conquer 1:

Red Alert 1:

Tiberian Sun:

• Full game (scroll down to "single player, patches, linux and mac" and select "Single Player Campaign (Windows)" in the dropdown)

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.
Message 2 of 4 (957 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

Thanks Nyerguds. Your reply is very helpful. I love this game. 

I read some other posts you made. I found the same link also. It is just right after I post this question. 

By the way, there are few other version like RA2, General, Zero hour. I wonder if you do have the link so I can download them for Windows 10 playing also? 

Very much appreciate it. 

Message 3 of 4 (935 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@natnaikc 

The other games are not freeware, but if you have The Ultimate Collection on Origin, there are community patches available for them that improve their performance and fix legacy bugs and compatibility problems. But none of the games newer than Tiberian Sun can be downloaded for free, no.

The full listing of community patches and upgrades for all the games:

Command & Conquer 1:

Red Alert 1:

Tiberian Sun:

Red Alert 2:

• When installing TUC RA2, I advise installing the CnCNet online play installer for it. Even if you're not interested in online play, it comes with a bunch of automatic fixes. It should automatically take care of the "black screen" issue, and has a configuration tool that allows further tweaking of the game's settings.

Generals:

• GenTool seems to be the main patch for Generals these days. The website is kind of vague on what it does besides restoring multiplayer and adding anti-cheat, but I heard it does a lot to make it work better on modern OSes too.

Renegade:

Message 4 of 4 (903 Views)