Re: I've downloaded a Red Alert & Command and Conquer. I cannot play the ga

by Nyerguds

Original Post

Accepted Solution

I've downloaded a Red Alert & Command and Conquer. I cannot play the game.

★★★ Newbie

The screen goes blank in Red Alert although I heard the audio.  Can't even play the Command and Conquer.  I'm using the latest i5 8th generation HP notebook with Nividia graphics

Message 1 of 4 (790 Views)

Accepted Solution

[ Edited ]
Hero

@bh2311 

Are you sure that's "Red Alert", as in, the first Red Alert game? Because as far as I know, the "black screen" thing is a Red Alert 2 issue.

This collection has a lot of games, developed over a span of fifteen years, on a large number of different game engines, for a large number of different systems, so you have to make sure to specify exactly which game you're talking about, otherwise it's really hard for us to give accurate tech support.

That said... might as well give you all of the fixes, so you can get them all running.

Command & Conquer 1, Red Alert 1 and Tiberian Sun have all been upgraded with community-created unofficial patches that fix a lot of their bugs and compatibility problems. For Red Alert 2 there's a more general patch that solves a lot of its graphics problems. You can find them here:

Command & Conquer 1:

Red Alert 1:

Tiberian Sun:

Red Alert 2:

• The graphics system patch DDWrapper is known to solve a multitude of graphics problems, including the "black screen" issue.
    Download the zip file and extract "ddraw.dll" and "aqrit.cfg" into your game folder. Then, open the configuration file "aqrit.cfg" in Notepad, change the "ForceDirectDrawEmulation" option to 1, save the file, and try running the game again.
  • If you still have problems with RA2 even after this, I advise installing the CnCNet online play installer for RA2/YR. Even if you're not interested in online play, it comes with a bunch of automatic fixes, and has a configuration tool which offers more choices in graphics fixes than just DDWrapper, so if one doesn't work you can just try if some of the other options do the trick.

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.

View in thread

Message 4 of 4 (731 Views)

All Replies

★ Expert

Yesterday when playing a different game (Everyone Wins Bingo) during the first time entering the game, I received a white screen after loading. Could still hear the numbers being called but can't place the numbers on the card if can't see them. I was using Chrome as my browser. So, I did what I always so when something goes wrong. I left the website, cleared my browser cache (also browsing history this time), returned, and no white screen was at the game upon returning. Not sure if clearing the cache stopped the white screen but it might have.  If you haven't cleared your browser in a while try that.

Message 2 of 4 (772 Views)

Community Manager (retired)

Hey there, @bh2311.

I moved your post from Pogo to the Command & Conquer forums. The community here should have some recommendations for you. Standard smile

Arrenai Cat

Did you receive an awesome, helpful response? Thumbs up +XP!

Was your issue resolved by a great post? :eahigh_file: Accept as Solution

ASK. ANSWER. LEVEL UP.

Message 3 of 4 (768 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@bh2311 

Are you sure that's "Red Alert", as in, the first Red Alert game? Because as far as I know, the "black screen" thing is a Red Alert 2 issue.

This collection has a lot of games, developed over a span of fifteen years, on a large number of different game engines, for a large number of different systems, so you have to make sure to specify exactly which game you're talking about, otherwise it's really hard for us to give accurate tech support.

That said... might as well give you all of the fixes, so you can get them all running.

Command & Conquer 1, Red Alert 1 and Tiberian Sun have all been upgraded with community-created unofficial patches that fix a lot of their bugs and compatibility problems. For Red Alert 2 there's a more general patch that solves a lot of its graphics problems. You can find them here:

Command & Conquer 1:

Red Alert 1:

Tiberian Sun:

Red Alert 2:

• The graphics system patch DDWrapper is known to solve a multitude of graphics problems, including the "black screen" issue.
    Download the zip file and extract "ddraw.dll" and "aqrit.cfg" into your game folder. Then, open the configuration file "aqrit.cfg" in Notepad, change the "ForceDirectDrawEmulation" option to 1, save the file, and try running the game again.
  • If you still have problems with RA2 even after this, I advise installing the CnCNet online play installer for RA2/YR. Even if you're not interested in online play, it comes with a bunch of automatic fixes, and has a configuration tool which offers more choices in graphics fixes than just DDWrapper, so if one doesn't work you can just try if some of the other options do the trick.

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.
Message 4 of 4 (732 Views)