[Help] Command and Conquer Exception in Exception Handler

by motorbikeac

Original Post

Accepted Solution

[Help] Command and Conquer Exception in Exception Handler

★★★★★ Newbie

Please help.

What is actually happening:

I've been searching all over the internet for the solution to this but nothing I have tried works!

When i launch Command and Conquer Tiberiuim Wars and Kane's wrath I get the little popup window that has the picture and says EA (this happens on both Kane's wrath and Tiberium Wars BTW) etc. Then a black screen appears which is normal for that because that normally means the game is loading up, but about 5 seconds after seeing the black screen it says the program has stopped responding and 5 little windows popup all saying Exception in Exception Handler, when I click close all of them close. (I have screenshots of the error message).

I've tried:

Running as Admin.

Running with High-Performance Nvidia Processor.

And I did downgrade my driver date but that ended up screwing my whole computer up (I think I messed it up).

Downgrading to a lower version of DirectX.

PC Specs:

Processor: Intel Core i7-4770T CPU @ 2.50GHz   2.50GHz

Installed Memory (Ram): 16.0GB

System Type: 64-bit Operating System, x64-Based Processor

Pen and Touch: Touch Support with 10 Touch Points 

Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce 730A (Version 353.30)

(Any other information I forgot?)

Please Help as I really enjoy this game and I don't want it to go to waste.

Kind Regards Alec.

Message 1 of 18 (5,222 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: [Help] Command and Conquer Exception in Exception Handler

★★★★★ Newbie

Hello all, I fixed the issue by going back from windows 10 to windows 8.1 nothing else seemed to work. hope this helps! :D

View in thread

Message 17 of 18 (6,032 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager

@motorbikeac

It is probable that this issue is caused by certain Intel video drivers for the video processing hardware that is part of your CPU.

This point to the fact that your nvidia GPU is not being used when you try to play this game.

Please try the following steps to help ensure your 730A GPU is actually used. The .exe shown below is just an example, you should choose your exact game executable.

1. Open the nvidia Control Panel
  2. Click Manage 3D settings
  3. Click the Program Settings tab
  4. Click the Add button
  5. Select the game from the list or click browse and navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Command Conquer 4 Tiberian Twilight\
  6. Select CNC4Game.exe and then Open
  7. Customise individual settings if you like
  8. Exit nvidia control panel and try playing.

Try this procedure and let us know if you are able to play, thanks.

barry.png
Message 2 of 18 (5,180 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

No luck, the error still persists. By the way the error is with Command and Conquer 3 I haven't tested this on Tiberium Twilight.

I have spoken with someone from EA support but they told me to downgrade my windows version from windows 10 to windows 8.1 or 7. The thing is I can't it doesn't work or I just don't know how. My computer doesn't have a DVD port so I can't restore back to windows 10. But maybe there's a different way? Because I don't really want to loose all my stuff, anyways let me know if there is anything else I should try out.

Thanks for the response, it is reassuring to know that people are willing to help. 

Message 3 of 18 (5,167 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@motorbikeac

Well, for people who only have the Intel HD graphics, the driver downgrade was indeed the only solution we found. If I remember correctly, the driver was from June 2014. But if you get the same problem if you got an NVidia card, this is probably caused by the game not using the NVidia one. I'd say, google around and see if you can find something about games using the inbuilt card instead of the plugged one, and see if you can find a way to switch it.

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.
Message 4 of 18 (5,159 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

Oh no when I downgraded my Intel Drivers to June 2014 it didn't give me the exception in exception handler it said something like make sure you graphics card can handle this game and that you've got directx 9 or higher, which both of these are fine so I'm a bit stuck on what to do.

Message 5 of 18 (5,153 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@motorbikeac

Oh. That may mean you're closer, actually. The DirectX problem is in fact a different one; the newer DirectX versions built into modern Windows don't necessarily contain all components from the older versions, so needing "DirectX 9 or higher" actually just means you need DirextX 9, even if you're on DX11. You should install the DirectX 9 components from June 2010 to get it working. The older components can in fact be installed alongside a newer DirectX without any problems.

Origin should install that with the game, but I've heard about that not happening correctly many times.

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.
Message 6 of 18 (5,149 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Newbie

@Nyerguds

Yeah I did try this but what happened is it said that I couldn't install it because my windows version is too high and recommended I got a higher version of Directx or something like that. It's a struggle.

Message 7 of 18 (5,146 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@motorbikeac

You must've done something wrong. I just installed the components from the above link on windows 10, and the installer ran perfectly fine. You basically just run it to unpack it somewhere (it's advised to make a new folder for it), then find DXSETUP.exe and run it as administrator, and after it's finished you delete the stuff you unpacked.

Message 8 of 18 (5,138 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

@Nyerguds

Oh, could you link me to where you got your directx from?

Message 9 of 18 (5,123 Views)

Hero

@motorbikeac

Uh, I did... but here's the full instructions (hero status gives me access to macros I can save. Sooo handy Standard smile)

• Download the DirectX Redistributables package from June 2010. Be sure to uncheck any other junk they want to add to it. It should be a file called "directx_Jun2010_redist.exe".
  • Run the downloaded file. It'll ask for a folder to unpack in. Make a new folder somewhere on your disk and unpack it there. It doesn't matter where you unpack it; it can be deleted afterwards anyway.
  • Go to the folder where you told it to extract.
  • Find "DXSETUP.exe", and run that to install the missing components.
  • After the installation finished, delete the folder you unpacked everything in.

Message 10 of 18 (5,115 Views)