Error unable to set video mode

by abantell

Original Post

Error unable to set video mode

★★★ Newbie

I bought this collection with Win 7.  I had problems because the graphics card didn't work well.  Now I have a new computer with an NVidea card.  It has Windows 8.1.  I try to run compatibility mode, but I get an error saying the game cannot set the video mode.  I read one article, but I do not have a ccsetup file.  I set my monitor to the lowest resolution, but the game doesn't seem to care about that, all it cares about is being able to access the video mode.

How do I allow the game to change my new Windows 8.1 OS so it can adjust the video settings?  The compatibility just doesn't work.  Thank you

Message 1 of 5 (6,712 Views)

Re: Error unable to set video mode

[ Edited ]
Hero

This is a collection of games, released over a span of some 15 years. As you can imagine, each of these games has their own quite unique set of issues with newer operating systems. You should really specify which game you're talking about if you want to get decent tech support.

That said, this error seems like the one you get on Command & Conquer 1 and Red Alert 1 when they try to run in 640x400 mode. Command & Conquer 1, Red Alert 1 and Tiberian Sun have all been upgraded with community-created unofficial patches that fix a lot of their compatibility problems. You can find them here:

Command & Conquer 1:

Red Alert 1:

Tiberian Sun:

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.
Message 2 of 5 (6,688 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Yeah, What do I do if I don't want to get patches on the internet? Tiberian sun won't work for me. It says that The video mode couldn't be set. 

Message 3 of 5 (4,490 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@djacksoncool10

If you don't want to get patches off the internet? Well, I guess you're out of luck then. The issues in these games go very deep, and aren't fixed by mere compatibility setting changes. I worked for more than a year on fixing bugs in C&C1, but if that's not good enough for you just because I don't have an EA logo stamped on my forehead (and we're talking about games not even programmed by EA, mind you; they just bought the company that made 'em), well, then that's not my problem.

But the fact they elevated my status to moderator here for services provided should give some legitimacy to the links I provide.

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.
Message 4 of 5 (4,453 Views)

★★★ Newbie

hi there good sir (assuming you are a sir). mine says unable to set video mode, and the patch link you had on this post leads to their main forum page. do you happen to have a link to that patch? i'd be more than happy to the the tiberian sun patch from you. can't play the game, and it's the main one i wanted to play.

Message 5 of 5 (2,196 Views)