Custom Maps Install - Windows 10

by worldlus

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Custom Maps Install - Windows 10

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Hello, I recently got a hold of some custom maps and have followed nearly every tutorial to get them installed.

I have gone through appdata and the game's folder is missing the maps folders. Tried putting one there myself and it didn't work

I have gone through the documents folder for the game and the maps folder isn't there as well. Tried creating one myself and that didn't work either.

I have even gone to the installation folder and can't find the maps anywhere.

Looking for some guidance. I'm currently running the game through Origin and my operating system is Windows 10.

Message 1 of 21 (28,705 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Custom Maps Install - Windows 10

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Guide

@worldlusWell, your first point won't help as you can't do anything with that file of course. I can reproduce your issue, I also only saw those folders and the AdCache folder. I had to make the "Maps"-folder myself, but opening and saving a map in the worldbuilder also produced thiss map in the AppData directory. I put some custom maps in that "Maps"-directory and the game indeed also didn't recognize them and yes that folder has all permissions and this even occurs when running the game as administrator.

I will look further for a possible solution Standard smile

Edit: I found the solution. This is apparently an error in the Ultimate Collection. Does this work for you?:

First make sure that your AppData-folder is not hidden: set in Folder Options of the View-tab of Windows Explorer that it should show hidden files, folders and drives.

For base CNC3:

1. Go to "C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Roaming\Command and Conquer 3 Tiberium Wars".

2. Look for the "Maps"-folder in that directory. If it isn't there, make that map yourself with the name "Maps".

3. Drop the folders in it of your custom maps (each map is supposed to be in a folder).

4. Use Windows search and search for "Regedit.exe" and open it.

5. Go to  "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Electronic Arts\Electronic Arts\Command and Conquer 3"

6. Click on edit --> new --> dword (32bit)value. A new registry value will now be made.

7. Rename this registry value to "UseLocalUserMaps". Don't edit the value as the default "0"-value is what we need.

8. Start the game.

9. The custom maps will not show up under "custom maps" in-game strange enough. You will find it at "New Skirmish". There it should be listed together with the offical maps Standard smile

10. Good luck general! 

For Kane's Wrath almost exactly the same steps:

1. Go to "C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Roaming\Command and Conquer 3 Kanes Wrath".

2. Look for the "Maps"-folder in that directory. If it isn't there, make that map yourself with the name "Maps".

3. Drop the folders in it of your custom maps (each map is supposed to be in a folder).

5. Go to  "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Electronic Arts\Electronic Arts\Command and Conquer 3 Kanes Wrath"

6. Click on edit --> new --> dword (32bit)value. A new registry value will now be made.

7. Rename this registry value to "UseLocalUserMaps". Don't edit the value as the default "0"-value is what we need.

8. Start the game.

9. The custom maps will not show up under "custom maps" in-game strange enough. You will find it at "New Skirmish". There it should be listed together with the offical maps Standard smile

10. Good luck general! 

Sources:

-https://answers.ea.com/t5/C-C-The-Ultimate-Collection/cant-play-custom-maps-RA3-amp-C-amp-C-3-KW/m-p...

-http://www.cnclabs.com/cnc3/faq.aspx#InstallingCustomMaps

View in thread

Message 8 of 21 (28,506 Views)

All Replies

★★★★ Guide
@worldlus Maybe if you actually told me for which game(s) you want to install these custom maps, that would help :P As now I'm clueless to what to tell you as it is different for each game.
Message 2 of 21 (28,654 Views)

★★★ Novice

That would probably help... lol

It is for C&C3 - Kane’s Wrath

Message 3 of 21 (28,641 Views)

★★★★ Guide
@worldlus See here for where the custom maps should be located/installed to: http://www.cnclabs.com/cnc3/faq.aspx#InstallingCustomMaps (probably the locations from Windows Vista are also the same in Windows 10.) Read that page carfully please and follow all instructions! Please say it if you can't find those maps so I can help you further Standard smile (Then also provide which locations you looked at already)
Message 4 of 21 (28,621 Views)

★★★ Novice

Tried this but when I went into the Command And Conquer folder, all it is showing is MapPreviews and Profiles. Check to make sure all hidden files and folders are showing and that didn't help.

Message 5 of 21 (28,589 Views)

★★★★ Guide
@worldlus You looked in both the Documents and the AppData folder to look for the main CNC3 folder? Did you find that one? Thus, "C:\Users\[USER_NAME]\AppData\Roaming\Command & Conquer 3 Tiberium Wars" I mean. If you found that folder, just make the "Maps"-folder in there yourself and place all your custom maps in it and test it in-game. Does it work?
Message 6 of 21 (28,541 Views)

★★★ Novice

Yup, I looked up in both areas. There is a total of 3 areas from what I am seeing...

• The area in my Program Files (86x) where the main installation files are placed. Looked in every individual folder found a file called "Maps.big" but doesn't show the directory of where the files are placed. 

• Documents only shows the "Replays" folder, nothing else.

• AppData shows only "MapPreviews" and Profiles." Tried creating a "Maps" folder in it, but the game doesn't recognize anything placed in it.

At this point, I just uninstalled the game and reinstall the game, but nothing changed. I've read where other players have had the exact issues but stop getting replies to their questions after awhile...

Message 7 of 21 (28,525 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Guide

@worldlusWell, your first point won't help as you can't do anything with that file of course. I can reproduce your issue, I also only saw those folders and the AdCache folder. I had to make the "Maps"-folder myself, but opening and saving a map in the worldbuilder also produced thiss map in the AppData directory. I put some custom maps in that "Maps"-directory and the game indeed also didn't recognize them and yes that folder has all permissions and this even occurs when running the game as administrator.

I will look further for a possible solution Standard smile

Edit: I found the solution. This is apparently an error in the Ultimate Collection. Does this work for you?:

First make sure that your AppData-folder is not hidden: set in Folder Options of the View-tab of Windows Explorer that it should show hidden files, folders and drives.

For base CNC3:

1. Go to "C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Roaming\Command and Conquer 3 Tiberium Wars".

5. Go to  "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Electronic Arts\Electronic Arts\Command and Conquer 3"

8. Start the game.

10. Good luck general! 

For Kane's Wrath almost exactly the same steps:

1. Go to "C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Roaming\Command and Conquer 3 Kanes Wrath".

5. Go to  "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Electronic Arts\Electronic Arts\Command and Conquer 3 Kanes Wrath"

8. Start the game.

10. Good luck general! 

Sources:

-https://answers.ea.com/t5/C-C-The-Ultimate-Collection/cant-play-custom-maps-RA3-amp-C-amp-C-3-KW/m-p...

-http://www.cnclabs.com/cnc3/faq.aspx#InstallingCustomMaps

Message 8 of 21 (28,507 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Sadly, this function didn't work either. It also shows that both games are combined together in the same registery.

I have reached out to EA to see if they know of any solutions but doubt that I will get a reply.

Untitled-1.jpg

EDIT: As I predicted, their reply was to go to AnswerHQ and see if I can get help here.

Message 9 of 21 (28,484 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Guide

@worldlusHaha, you gave me laughs haha, you made an error. So, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Electronic Arts\Electronic Arts\Command and Conquer 3 and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Electronic Arts\Electronic Arts\Command and Conquer 3 Kanes Wrath for the registry directory where you have to put those registry enties. You looked at "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Electronic Arts\Command and Conquer 3 TW and KW" So, you missed that you have to go into the Electronic Arts folder that is in another Electronic arts folder. You can just copy the provided registry addresses and past them in the top navigation bar in regedit, press enter en then it will automatically take you to it. Haha, mistakes happen. Does it then work? Please remove that registry entry you made in the wrong regedit-map to avoid issues. Next time try to read the instructions better Standard smile If this works, can you mark my previous answer as the solution, so people can more easily find it? Standard smile

Message 10 of 21 (28,467 Views)