Command and Conquer ultimate edition and windows 10

by 0252aa9f7c7762a37d8900d33e71b126

Original Post

Command and Conquer ultimate edition and windows 10

So here is the thing. I was looking to buy this, but needed to know if it was compatible for Windows 10 (my old copies of Generals aren't).

So I asked online chat, but the representative would not answer the question. They just kept pasting the games minimum requirements.

I asked by email and got the same issue.

It almost feels like I am being trolled Standard smile

Nobody from EA seems willing to just give me a yes or no answer.

Does anyone here know?

Message 1 of 5 (964 Views)

Re: Command and Conquer ultimate edition and windows 10

Community Manager
Moving this to the C&C board.

Kent.png
Message 2 of 5 (954 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@0252aa9f7c7762a37d8900d33e71b126 

It's... a bit of a tricky situation, and I can kind of understand them being vague. The pack, as it is released on Origin, does have its fair share of problems. However, most of these problems were fixed a long time ago by the C&C fan-patching community. But it's not like EA could do much better; the source code of a lot of the older games is lost or partially lost, and it has been a long time since EA had any kind of team dedicated to maintaining them. It's just not cost-efficient to them, especially if it means they'd have to reverse-engineer their own games.

So we are currently in this bizarre situation where fan-patches have made great strides in fixing and enhancing these games, but EA Support can't really point people to these fixes since that would make them liable in case these 3rd party programs might do some kind of harm.

I don't think there are many problems with the post-Generals games, but those aren't really my area of expertise. As far as I know though, with the fan patches, the older generation of C&C games all run perfectly fine. And, for the record, as far as I know, these patches are all perfectly safe. Paranoid virus scanners notwithstanding.

You can find them here:

Command & Conquer 1:

Red Alert 1:

Tiberian Sun:

Red Alert 2:

• I advise installing the CnCNet online play installer for RA2/YR. Even if you're not interested in online play, it comes with a bunch of automatic fixes. It should automatically take care of the "black screen on startup" issue, and has a configuration tool that allows further tweaking of the game's settings.

Generals:

• GenTool seems to be the main patch for Generals these days. The website is kind of vague on what it does besides restoring multiplayer and adding anti-cheat, but I heard it does a lot to make it work better on modern OSes too.
  • If you have issues with DirectX errors popping up, find and delete the file "dbghelp.dll" in the game's install folder.

Renegade:

As for the old copies not working, yea, that's kind of Microsoft's fault; Windows itself stopped supporting the SafeDisc, the DRM system used for these game.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SafeDisc#Withdrawal_of_support

Do note that this is completely unrelated to Electronic Arts; tons of games from other developers were also affected by this.

There's also still active multiplayer for all these old games. The official servers have been offline for years, but you can play the games on the community servers:

• For the classics (Command & Conquer 1, Red Alert 1, Tiberian Sun, Red Alert 2) you can use CnCNet.
  • For the later games (Generals, C&C3, RA3) you can use C&C: Online.

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.
Message 3 of 5 (932 Views)

Thanks for this.

I did actually get a communication from EA (finally) stating that the games work on windows 10.

i can now use that as the basis for a refund if they don't Standard smile

i will of course try your info first of course

Message 4 of 5 (925 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@0252aa9f7c7762a37d8900d33e71b126 

Do note, the first three games are actually freeware, so they're somewhat irrelevant in all of that; they're just added to the sold collection for completeness' sake.
https://answers.ea.com/t5/C-C-The-Ultimate-Collection/Is-red-alert-1-and-tiberian-sun-now-freeware/t...

They're also the most fan-upgraded ones in the series, since they are fairly small programs, which predate more complex DRM that could prevent such fan patching.

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.
Message 5 of 5 (898 Views)