Command and Conquer Ultimate Collection won't launch in Origin

by Barnabyj0nes1

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Command and Conquer Ultimate Collection won't launch in Origin

★★★ Novice

I just bought and downloaded the C&C Ultimate Collection and found that NONE of the games work. Some of them just don't load, whereas others load the choice screen for original/expansion and I can't click either. So far I have tried:

Restarting my machine, restarting Origin (inc. as Administrator), running the games in compatibility mode, running the games as administrator, applying Biddler's launcher update, and using the "repair game" tool.

I have trawled the Origin forums and found lots of people asking the same question with no answers or fixes other than the above, which haven't worked for me.

I am running on:

Acer X3475

AMD A10 5700

AMD Radeon HD 7670 2GB

16GB DDR3

Windows 8.1

I need an answer on this or I will be requesting a refund, very disappointed with EA.

Message 1 of 36 (72,792 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Command and Conquer Ultimate Collection won't launch in Origin

★★★★★ Novice

This apples to all games:

1) Reboot your PC.

2) Right click Red Alert 2 in origin client.

3) Select "Game Properties"

4) In 'Command Line Arguments' type: "-w"

5) Tick "Disable Origin In Game For This Game"

6) Hit OK and enjoy!

View in thread

Message 5 of 36 (83,669 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

Did they advertise with windows 8.1 support somewhere? I think they only advertised it like this "optimised for Windows 7"

Anyways, get the following patches for the first two games:

Tiberian Dawn: http://nyerguds.arsaneus-design.com/cnc95upd/cc95p106/

Red Alert 1: http://funkyfr3sh.cncnet.org/

I will release a patch for tiberian sun the next days, there are known problems with the menu drawing on windows 8

Red Alert 2 *should* work as long as you don't install any mods that rely on custom executable, but i will take a look into it the next days too

Did you already read the common problems thread regarding the problems with the newer games?

http://answers.ea.com/t5/Command-Conquer-The-Ultimate/Common-Problems-Read-This-Before-Posting/m-p/2...

Message 2 of 36 (72,679 Views)

★★★ Novice

My main concern is with RA2 + YR, Generals + ZH, TW + KW and C&C 4. And none of those games are working.

I have tried the fixes outlined in that article, including applying biddler's patch, without success.

As Origin only gives you 7 days to request a refund I'm just going to go ahead with that, rather than wait around for a patch.

If the game doesn't work on Windows 8, I should have been told (in no less words than, "THIS GAME DOES NOT WORK ON WINDOWS 8") before I bought it.

Thank you for your help.

Message 3 of 36 (72,646 Views)

Hero

Did you disable the Origin in-game overlay? It causes problems with many older games.

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.
Message 4 of 36 (72,643 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

This apples to all games:

1) Reboot your PC.

2) Right click Red Alert 2 in origin client.

3) Select "Game Properties"

4) In 'Command Line Arguments' type: "-w"

5) Tick "Disable Origin In Game For This Game"

6) Hit OK and enjoy!

Message 5 of 36 (83,670 Views)

★★★ Novice

That worked! Awesome. Thanks heaps mate.

Message 6 of 36 (72,587 Views)

★★★ Newbie

This didnt work for Generals and ZH at all, in fact in Origin it doesn't show that play is an option.

Message 7 of 36 (72,148 Views)

★★★ Newbie

this was awesome and very helpful thanks heaps big fella

Message 8 of 36 (72,118 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I still can't get it to properly load on my Windows 8.1 laptop. I get to the intro picture and it just sits on "Loading..."

I was able to get it this far by adding the -w switch and checking the box.

Any other ideas?

Message 9 of 36 (71,881 Views)

Hero

@Steeb wrote:

I still can't get it to properly load on my Windows 8.1 laptop. I get to the intro picture and it just sits on "Loading..."

I was able to get it this far by adding the -w switch and checking the box.

Any other ideas?

Specifically, which game(s)?

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.
Message 10 of 36 (71,835 Views)