Re: Command and Conquer Generals Zero Hour Technical Difficulties

by LordHoratio-N

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Command and Conquer Generals Zero Hour Technical Difficulties

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Hi, this is my first try to explain what's my problem.

I recently (20/09/2019) purchased the Command and Conquer Ultimate Collection to play all these classic games especially Command and Conquer Generals (+ Zero Hour) but whenever I got to launch the game I get and Error that pops up saying Technical Difficulties "You have encountered a serious error. Serious errors can be caused by many things including viruses, overheated hardware and hardware that does not meet the minimum specifications for the game. Please visit the forums at www.generals.ea.com for suggested courses of action or consult your manual for technical support contact information".

I have spent the past 5 days looking for an answer for why it doesn't launch. I've tried every single solution/fix I've found but still nothing. I've tried 1) deleting dbghelp.dll, 2) reinstalling DirectX, 3) changing my options.ini file, 4) downloading the DirectX SDK, 5) changing the compatibility mode, 6) running the .exe files as administrator, 7) redownloading the game and reinstalling it, 8) downloading and installing GenTool and 9) disabling Origin ingame but nothing worked ((10) i also tried the same methods for a torrent/cracked version!!!). Literally, i have tried everything @Nyerguds had already proposed all these years in different forum posts. The only thing that left to be tried is to play it through virtual machine software. I also have the ReleaseCrashInfo.txt and ReleaseCrashInfoPrev.txt files into my Generals an Zero Hour folders. I am posting here only the ReleaseCrashInfo.txt file from Zero Hour folder that follows (the other 3 are attached).

Release Crash at Fri Sep 27 00:30:09 2019
; Reason Uncaught Exception in GameEngine::update

Last error:
Exception is access violation
WinMain at 401720
Error code: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION
Description: The thread tried to read from or write to a virtual address for which it does not have the appropriate access.
Access address:FD860097 was read from.

Stack Dump:
<Unknown>(-1) : <Unknown> 0x78D4F56C

Details:
Register dump...
Eip:78D4F56C Esp:0019E0BC Ebp:0019E0C0
Eax:03309FD8 Ebx:08CEE908 Ecx:03A99780
Edx:FD86007B Esi:03309FD8 Edi:03A99780
EFlags:00010206
CS:0023 SS:002b DS:002b ES:002b FS:0053 GS:002b
EIP bytes dump...

Bytes at CS:EIP (78D4F56C) : 8B 42 1C 3B 81 E4 01 00 00 72 14 77 0B 8B 42 18 3B 81 E0 01 00 00 76 07 C6 81 E9 01 00 00 01 8B

Current stack:

I am running on Windows 10 64 bit OS.

Has anybody already found any solution/fix for this problem??? I'll gladly accept any response and i hope to see some...

Message 1 of 21 (63,333 Views)

Accepted Solution

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

Well this is weird. 

For windows 10 user the most common problem are not so very related as win7 and back.

Okey you probably have done this like 100 time by now but Reinstall the game.

Delete all the data Manually. files can still be around even when deleted.

even (Firewall) just to make sure.

Something makes your game not running as it should obviously. 

the only win 10 got problems are the .dll files.

the other issue may appear are other reasons such game file not being installed properly. 

The deep reason can also be windows don't get installed probably and missed updates or files to begin with.  

This issue I've been seeing before even my own computer. 

I don't tell you to reinstall windows just it mate fix the core of the issue the hick up.

So try the first let me know if that even changes probably not. if not and you mate got missing windows update or files that has been skip.

View in thread

Message 7 of 21 (63,125 Views)

All Replies

★★★★ Novice

Does anybody answer or give solutions to customers/players in this helping (?) forum site? 

Message 2 of 21 (63,205 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Hi there RedZio7 

I noticed you got the this problem.

Follow the line under.

Resolved issue C&C General & Zero hour for Windows 10 users.

Open Installation folder for Origin games "Example"----> C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Command and Conquer Generals Zero Hour.
Inside Open either C&C General & Zero Hour folder ---> Find specific .dll file called dbghelp.dll select the file and delete it.

Message 3 of 21 (63,187 Views)

★★★★ Novice

FIRST OF ALL thanks for the reply!!! I thought i was speaking/writing to the wall (it's a Greek phrase :eahigh_fileStandard smile.

Secondly, as i mentioned to my original post, that method you propose was the FIRST thing i tried to fix my issue without solution of course. I still have them deleted (you can see the two attached files in the bottom). Also, i can't open them (doesn't let me) in windowed mode (thinking that this may let me play them at least like a GameBoy mod).

Do you really be able to play them in your PC? (meaning that you have Win 10). I'll keep my ears/eyes open for anything else that you have to propose me for this timeless problem. It's the only f***ing game (pirated and official version) that i never managed to make it play... 

Message 4 of 21 (63,183 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

Got a look of the image you sent and it looks good so far. 

Do you got settings for the game at the Documents?

you only need Options.ini in both games

Image below

Message 5 of 21 (63,167 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Thank you (again) in advance but... i have already tried it resulting in a complete failure Devil.

I am sending screenshots from my data folders of the games, as yours. Also i am sending the content of the options.ini (in .txt form) file i copied and pasted in both of these folders (is the content right?). In the end i tried and the Command & Conquer 3 Kane's Wrath solution/fix (making into the NVIDIA Control Panel on the tab Global Settings not Program Settings the choice High performance NVIDIA processor not Auto-select) but i had the same frustrating ending.

I can't think of trying something else... Is it possible for my issue to be related with the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributables i have installed?

Message 6 of 21 (63,152 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

Well this is weird. 

For windows 10 user the most common problem are not so very related as win7 and back.

Okey you probably have done this like 100 time by now but Reinstall the game.

Delete all the data Manually. files can still be around even when deleted.

even (Firewall) just to make sure.

Something makes your game not running as it should obviously. 

the only win 10 got problems are the .dll files.

the other issue may appear are other reasons such game file not being installed properly. 

The deep reason can also be windows don't get installed probably and missed updates or files to begin with.  

This issue I've been seeing before even my own computer. 

I don't tell you to reinstall windows just it mate fix the core of the issue the hick up.

So try the first let me know if that even changes probably not. if not and you mate got missing windows update or files that has been skip.

Message 7 of 21 (63,126 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

You can also if you haven't already 

https://answers.ea.com/t5/C-C-The-Ultimate-Collection/READ-FIRST-Common-Issues-and-Solutions/td-p/22...

the person telling the most common issue from win7 and back. You can try these method mention.

Focus on Win 7 64.

this because of being in 64-bit version if you are not running 32-bit version.

Either way I see you try your hardest to fix the issue and I can only recommend what I said page over this one.

Message 8 of 21 (63,126 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I don't know the reason but after a clean install of Win 10 (i installed a new hard disk SSD) everything works fine. Even other games i never mentioned here before. I think my problem should have been that i had Win 8.1 and the auto-upgrade thing to Win 10 messed up a bit the situation.

Message 9 of 21 (60,326 Views)

★★★ Newbie

The error message is pretty unhelpful and the popup suggests lots of things that might be a problem that sends you off on a rabbit hunt.

I have just resolved one reason, it seems that this might have caused the serious error with the Ultimate collection. It didn't affect the Generals version, just Zero hour so I followed up the error message generated. The serious error was shown in my Documents folder in a sub folder called 'Command and Conquer Generals Zero Hour Data'. The problem was with a .ini file that had been created when a 3rd part map had been played, it seems.

Initially I just moved the mapcache.ini file into a folder out of the way (I called it Temp to be able to return it later should I need to) and VOILA! Problem solved and C&C Generals Zero Hour was back up and running.

Hope anybody else with a 'serious error' popup gets to see this and try it, 'cos it was a really quick fix.

Message 10 of 21 (59,199 Views)