Command & Conquer in windows 10

by terrytel2

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Command & Conquer in windows 10

★★ Newbie

I cannot get command & conquer series to run on origin in windows 10

Worked fine in windows 7 but had to get new computer desktop.

Is there any fix?

Message 1 of 23 (27,151 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Command & Conquer in windows 10

Hero

@terrytel2

The "command & conquer series" is comprised of many games from different eras, all with their own unique problems and applicable solutions. Which games exactly are you talking about?

Command & Conquer 1, Red Alert 1 and Tiberian Sun have all been upgraded with community-created unofficial patches that fix a lot of their bugs and compatibility problems. For Red Alert 2 there's a more general patch that solves a lot of its graphics problems. You can find them here:

Command & Conquer 1:

Red Alert 1:

Tiberian Sun:

Red Alert 2:

• The graphics system patch DDWrapper is known to solve a multitude of graphics problems, including the "black screen" issue.
    Download the zip file and extract "ddraw.dll" and "aqrit.cfg" into your game folder. Then, open the configuration file "aqrit.cfg" in Notepad, change the "ForceDirectDrawEmulation" option to 1, save the file, and try running the game again.
  • If you still have problems with RA2 even after this, I advise installing the CnCNet installer for RA2/YR. It comes with a bunch of automatic fixes, and has a configuration tool which offers more choices in graphics fixes than just DDWrapper, so if one doesn't work you can just try if some of the other options do the trick.

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.

View in thread

Message 3 of 23 (27,696 Views)

All Replies

https://answers.ea.com/t5/C-C-The-Ultimate-Collection/C-amp-C-ultimate-collection-Red-Alert-2-wont-s...

This is a link to a thread over in the command and conquer forum that has some pretty good info on getting it to run.  Hopefully it helps...

I will also move this thread to that forum as it is most likely where someone familiar with the games will be to help you too.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am NOT an EA employee, I am just a simple gamer like most everyone else here volunteering my help to those who may can use it .....That means I have to pay for my games just like you, lol.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 2 of 23 (27,102 Views)

Hero

@terrytel2

The "command & conquer series" is comprised of many games from different eras, all with their own unique problems and applicable solutions. Which games exactly are you talking about?

Command & Conquer 1, Red Alert 1 and Tiberian Sun have all been upgraded with community-created unofficial patches that fix a lot of their bugs and compatibility problems. For Red Alert 2 there's a more general patch that solves a lot of its graphics problems. You can find them here:

Command & Conquer 1:

Red Alert 1:

Tiberian Sun:

Red Alert 2:

• The graphics system patch DDWrapper is known to solve a multitude of graphics problems, including the "black screen" issue.
    Download the zip file and extract "ddraw.dll" and "aqrit.cfg" into your game folder. Then, open the configuration file "aqrit.cfg" in Notepad, change the "ForceDirectDrawEmulation" option to 1, save the file, and try running the game again.
  • If you still have problems with RA2 even after this, I advise installing the CnCNet installer for RA2/YR. It comes with a bunch of automatic fixes, and has a configuration tool which offers more choices in graphics fixes than just DDWrapper, so if one doesn't work you can just try if some of the other options do the trick.

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.
Message 3 of 23 (27,697 Views)

★★ Novice

Hey @Nyerguds,

I downloaded your patch for C&C95 and I installed it just fine. However, after I launch the configuration tool I get an error when trying to launch the game:

Application Error:

The instruction at ffffffff referenced memory at ffffffff

The memory could not be read from

Click on OK to terminate the application

If I reinstall the patch I can launch the game but the mouse is hyper sensitive and the resolution is jacked up. I tried just trying to change the ddraw.ini but that doesn't yield any results.

Do you have any advice on what to do here? The patched worked for me before back on Win7. I am on the latest version of Win 10 64bit.

Message 4 of 23 (27,051 Views)

★★ Novice
I've found a bit of a work around by copying the ddraw.ini after adjusting the game with the configuration tool. The I reinstall the patch and copy the text to the ddraw.ini file. Only problem I have now is the mouse is locked to the corners on the monitor. Its like I try and move to the middle of the screen but it keeps getting drawn to the corners.
Message 5 of 23 (27,044 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@LinkinForcer

I think the problem is the compatibility mode on the exe... no need to reinstall anything for that. The config tool sets the compatibility mode to what it thinks is the best for your current operating system, but it seems that that is often wrong. Since it does this every time you save the data in the config tool, you just need to first use the config tool, and then check the compatibility mode on C&C95.exe

You'll have to try a bit to see what works...

Message 6 of 23 (27,031 Views)

★★ Novice
Ok sounds good. I messed with it a lot last night. I’m also having issues with Tiberian Sun. It will load and I can select to start a new campaign but then freezes and crashes on the loading screen. So far the only on that works well after patched is RA1. I’m going to mess with it some more after I get home today. I’ll post back with results later tonight.
Message 7 of 23 (27,021 Views)

★★ Novice
OK I got all of them working and able to stream on OBS. You were right about the compatibility options. I still had to dig around a bit especially for RA2. That's the only game out of the bunch that I have to yous display capture for instead of game capture.
Message 8 of 23 (27,009 Views)

Command And Conquer Ultimate issues

★ Novice

Hi is there a way to install "The Ultimate Collection on W10?"

Message 9 of 23 (26,644 Views)

Re: Command And Conquer Ultimate issues

[ Edited ]
Hero

@SeanPastina 

um. Yes? Just... install it? There's nothing especially hard about that. Just add the aforementioned patches when you're done.

Message 10 of 23 (26,235 Views)