Command & Conquer Generals Direct X 8.1 Error When Launching Game?

by Bhavick30

Original Post

Command & Conquer Generals Direct X 8.1 Error When Launching Game?

★★★ Newbie

Hi,

I've got Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium installed on my Desktop. I recently installed Command & Conquer Generals and when i try and boot the game up i get the following error message.

"Please make sure you have Direct X 8.1 or higher installed. Also verify that your video card meets the minimum requirement"

I've been playing this game for ages now and i am only now just getting this error message since yesterday. 

Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this please as it's driving me mad:-(

P.S Someone has already told me that there is no fix as this is an old game which no one plays which i think is a load of *, i would like a resolution as this is shameful that i cannot play this game anymore.

Thanks

Message 1 of 7 (1,047 Views)

Re: Command & Conquer Generals Direct X 8.1 Error When Launching Game?

Hero

@Bhavick30 

Peculiar. Might be related to needing elevated rights or something?

One thing you could do is just reinstall the DirectX components...

• Download the DirectX Redistributables package from June 2010. Be sure to uncheck any other junk they want to add to it. It should be a file called "directx_Jun2010_redist.exe".
  • Run the downloaded file. It'll ask for a folder to unpack in. Make a new folder somewhere on your disk and unpack it there. It doesn't matter where you unpack it; it can be deleted afterwards anyway.
  • Go to the folder where you told it to extract.
  • Find "DXSETUP.exe", and run that to install the missing components.
  • After the installation finished, delete the folder you unpacked everything in.

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.
Message 2 of 7 (1,013 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I just tried your solution and it didn't work i am still getting the same directx error. Any other ideas?

Message 3 of 7 (1,005 Views)

Community Manager

Hey @Bhavick30 can you go ahead and open up your install folder for Generals and then open the Options.ini file.

Can you then find the line relation to Resolution and set the "Resolution = 1152 864." Once done save the changes and then launch the game ensuring that you are launching it as administrator.

Darko

Darko.png
Message 4 of 7 (995 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I managed to get the game running successfully yesterday. It was a matter of deleting one of the files in the installation folder.

Thanks guys for your help:-)

Message 5 of 7 (988 Views)

Community Manager

That's great to hear @Bhavick30.

By any chance was the file you deleted Options.ini?

Darko

Darko.png
Message 6 of 7 (981 Views)

★★★★ Novice
Krytor_007

DirectX FIX!!! Fixes DirectX Error for Command & Conquer Generals and Zero Hour games purchased and downloaded from Origin.

For users that have windows 10 home edition and DirectX 12

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkEKF8XK_g4

Message 7 of 7 (848 Views)