Command & Conquer 3 won't let me build the whole tree in Scrin or GDI

by BrockLongfellow

Original Post

Command & Conquer 3 won't let me build the whole tree in Scrin or GDI

★ Novice

I can't build the "war factory" in either of them.  I can start the game and though sometimes it takes a few clicks, I can generally select to build and select to drop all buildings and troops, except the war factories in both and the nerve center in Scrin.  (Nod lets you build everything though.)  Any suggestions?

Message 1 of 8 (2,268 Views)

Re: Command & Conquer 3 won't let me build the whole tree in Scrin or GDI

Hero

@BrockLongfellow

What do you mean with "drop"? Is this a problem with the build range? In the later patches, only production buildings give you build range around them.

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.
Message 2 of 8 (2,236 Views)

★ Novice

That's not really the problem.  It usually works after a few tries.  My main problem is that the war factories can't be built.

Message 3 of 8 (2,221 Views)

★ Novice

@Nyerguds I should have mentioned that after the first round of troubleshooting where I cleared my cache and data and repaired the game the game worked flawlessly... for exactly one game.  The very next game I started it reverted back to the impossibility to click on / build the war factory.

Message 4 of 8 (2,211 Views)

Hero

@BrockLongfellow

Sounds bizarre. So what exactly is the issue? The UI buttons don't respond?

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.
Message 5 of 8 (2,179 Views)

★ Novice

@Nyerguds Everything works fine setting up and starting the game. I can build crane, power plant, recovery, barracks, and any available defense buildings. The way factory and nerve center switch to color (no longer grated out) but when you put the cursor over then, they do not get highlighted or show the pop up description, and you can't click them to get them to start building. Since everything else requires those, I can't build anything else after that. The same is true for GDI. With NOD, however, everything builds just fine including all units and super weapons.

The first troubleshooting resolved the problem for exactly one game. I was able to build everything and crush the computer with a mothership, rift generator, and that big spider thing that you can upgrade with troops. I started another game immediately after and o could no longer build the war factory.

The second troubleshooting did absolutely nothing.

Thank you for your help.

Message 6 of 8 (2,173 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@BrockLongfellow

That reminds me of a C&C Generals issue I heard of a while back, which was related to the launcher window not disappearing, and remaining in front of the game but invisible, preventing the player from clicking on things...

If it's something similar, you could try installing Bibber's fixed game launchers; maybe they'd fix the issue?

Message 7 of 8 (2,146 Views)

★★★ Newbie
Just solved this issue for someone I know and it turns out the windows "Game Bar" was the culprit in his case. In the spot on the screen where the game bar popup would normally show up, the mouse was being "captured" by the popup rather than the game.

If you're on Windows 10, try disabling the Game Bar / Captures stuff.
Message 8 of 8 (1,897 Views)