Command & Conquer 3: Playing Old Versions

by Riddle782

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Command & Conquer 3: Playing Old Versions

★★ Novice

I'll be short and sweet. I don't play multiplayer on RTS games. Largely because I'm literally physically and mentally incapable of rushes. I turtle and steamroll. But,that's not the point. The point is that I wish to play version 1.0 of Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars,as that is the version of the game that the campaign is balanced for. The updates to the game have more-or-less broken the balance in the campaign,from removing multiple defence structure queues,to turning the Mammoth Tank into a Predator Tank with a different coat of paint. I've tried using the -runver 1.0 method,but it doesn't work. Alexandria is much more difficult than it should be,thanks to the Mammoth Tank nerfs,and Sarajevo for the GDI is a mindbending nightmare,as it seems every single patch nerfed the GDI,and buffed Nod.

I will reiterate; I want to play the old version because I only play the campaign,and so it would be the best course of action,for my gaming enjoyment,to play version 1.0 of the game. As it is for playing the campaign,it will also be impossible for me to disrupt someone else's game. I've tried searching for ways to roll back my game,and found none. This is the last step.

Message 1 of 7 (7,572 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Command & Conquer 3: Playing Old Versions

[ Edited ]
Hero

@Riddle782

I've gotten this question a couple of times before, more specifically concerning the fact the multiplayer balance changes pretty much ruin the campaign at some points, and I did some research into this.

While the retail version retains all of its older versions, it seems that, sadly, the Origin version of C&C3 only contains the very last version's executable, meaning it is impossible to launch the older versions of the game even through that command line parameter; the program to launch simply isn't there.

I've looked into adding the data and game executables of the older versions into the Origin version's folder (with no-dvd patches applies, obviously; no way it could possibly work otherwise), but so far I've had no luck getting it working right. Maybe the Origin version has some stuff organized differently, I dunno.

Do note that, to make the game even read these command line parameter, you'll most probably need Bibber's fixed launchers.

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.

View in thread

Message 2 of 7 (7,715 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
Hero

@Riddle782

I've gotten this question a couple of times before, more specifically concerning the fact the multiplayer balance changes pretty much ruin the campaign at some points, and I did some research into this.

While the retail version retains all of its older versions, it seems that, sadly, the Origin version of C&C3 only contains the very last version's executable, meaning it is impossible to launch the older versions of the game even through that command line parameter; the program to launch simply isn't there.

I've looked into adding the data and game executables of the older versions into the Origin version's folder (with no-dvd patches applies, obviously; no way it could possibly work otherwise), but so far I've had no luck getting it working right. Maybe the Origin version has some stuff organized differently, I dunno.

Do note that, to make the game even read these command line parameter, you'll most probably need Bibber's fixed launchers.

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.
Message 2 of 7 (7,716 Views)

★★ Novice

I have done it.    You need a copy of RetailEXE\1.0 folder (replace C3C3game.dat with a cracked version 1.0)  and a copy of  CNC3_english_1.0.SkuDef from the DVD install.   I think the mistake people make is either not adding the extra files in the 1.0 folder with CnC3game.dat or using a mismatched version of the cracked CnC3game.dat

Link to the files required:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PJXH8SaLULebXrp6LrySXpuCOVrkQ0Qz/view?usp=sharing

I have put the files in the same file structure they need to be copied into, (the 1.9 versions will be there so it will be obvious if you have put them in the correct place).  Then right click on C&C3 in your steam library and click Properties, then under 'General Options' click 'Set Launch Options' and type -runver 1.0 (That's a one time thing).    

Message 3 of 7 (6,708 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Worked! I had to delete the other SkuDef file, but it's now running the 1.00 version. Was afraid Origin wasn't going to let it work, but thankfully it did.

Message 4 of 7 (6,552 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

Thank you so much for this, you should be on top Gesus777

Message 5 of 7 (6,227 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

I got a take down request for those files. There is two ways to do this. Method 1 is quicker but can cause issues if you want to play multiplayer or install mods, it should work on EA.    Method 2 you won't cause any other issues but I only know how to do it on steam.  

Method 1:

For the cnc3game.dat, download a version 1 crack from gamecopyworld. Go into the RetailEXE folder make a copy of the folder 1.9 and rename it 1.0. In 1.0 replace cnc3game.dat with the cracked version.

Then open CNC3_english_1.9.SkuDef with notepad and replace every 1.9 with 1.0.

Method 2:

For the cnc3game.dat, same as Method 1.

Make a copy of CNC3_english_1.9.SkuDef. Rename the copy CNC3_english_1.0.SkuDef. Open it up with notepad and replace every 1.9 with 1.0.
Then right click on C&C3 in your steam library and click Properties, then under 'General Options' click 'Set Launch Options' and type -runver 1.0.

Message 6 of 7 (3,720 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Hi, I've followed you instructions but I must've missed or done something wrong, I'm getting an error when I try to run v1.0. My guess is I got the wrong download from gamecopyworld.  The one I picked was: 

" C&C 3: Tiberium Wars v1.0 [EN] No-DVD/Fixed EXE "

Message 7 of 7 (848 Views)