CnC 1995 side scroll issues and Tiberium Sun missing Menus

by Longlron

Original Post

Accepted Solution

CnC 1995 side scroll issues and Tiberium Sun missing Menus

★★ Novice

I know this has been pointed out a 1000 times but trying to find a comprehensive answer is difficult.

How did they get away with this collection?
How can i fix this absolute mess with scrolling sensitivty?
where the frick are the menus and why can i literally not play 2 of these games?

please guide me in the ways of trying to have fun with EA taking a dump on me, thanks.

Message 1 of 6 (815 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: CnC 1995 side scroll issues and Tiberium Sun missing Menus

Hero

If you go to the folder where the games are actually installed, the C&C95 folder contains an application called "CCConfig". You can change the game resolution back to 640x480 in that. In fact, all changes and tweaks done by the patch (except actual bug fixes) can be changed in that tool.

Most of these patches replace so many files that uninstalling them isn't really possible. But you can always just use the Repair function in origin to revert all changes.

The Tiberian Sun patch does not install in a separate folder; it asks you where your game folder is so it can get installed there.

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.

View in thread

Message 4 of 6 (746 Views)

All Replies

Hero

@Longlron 

A lot of the games have been upgraded with community-created unofficial patches that fix a lot of their bugs and compatibility problems. You can find them here:

Command & Conquer 1:

Red Alert 1:

Tiberian Sun:

Red Alert 2:

• I advise installing the CnCNet online play installer for RA2/YR. Even if you're not interested in online play, it comes with a bunch of automatic fixes. It should automatically take care of the "black screen" issue, and has a configuration tool that allows further tweaking of the game's settings.

Generals:

• GenTool seems to be the main patch for Generals these days. The website is kind of vague on what it does besides restoring multiplayer and adding anti-cheat, but I heard it does a lot to make it work better on modern OSes too.
  • If you have issues with DirectX errors popping up, find and delete the file "dbghelp.dll" in the game's install folder.

Renegade:

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.
Message 2 of 6 (779 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

for cnc 1995 it looks like the fix zooms out the camera, is it supposed to do that?

im really not savvy with files and installations and theres a lot to download there, i feel like itll cause a lot of problems :L

if these patches dont work or change settings i dont like is there a way to uninstall them without corrupting the game files?

edit; i tried the tiberium sun patch and it installed a separate loader? is that the same as downloading the game again but in a different way?

so is there no patch for this monstrosity to work from origin?

i feel like a refund should be elligable but EA wont allow it :L

Message 3 of 6 (774 Views)

Hero

If you go to the folder where the games are actually installed, the C&C95 folder contains an application called "CCConfig". You can change the game resolution back to 640x480 in that. In fact, all changes and tweaks done by the patch (except actual bug fixes) can be changed in that tool.

Most of these patches replace so many files that uninstalling them isn't really possible. But you can always just use the Repair function in origin to revert all changes.

The Tiberian Sun patch does not install in a separate folder; it asks you where your game folder is so it can get installed there.

Message 4 of 6 (747 Views)

★★ Novice

ah thanks for the clarification, i will give it a go

Message 5 of 6 (741 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@Longlron I moved this thread, by the way. You're talking about the games in the C&C Ultimate Collection. The Remasters are a whole different thing.

Note on the screen resolution: the config tool allows stretching out the game area to larger areas, which allows you to retain the original feel without your PC complaining about having to switch to lower than 'optimal' resolutions.

Because of that, my game is currently configured in CCConfig to a game resolution of 856x400, stretched to 1920x1080, using the "nearest neighbour" scaling type option. This not only uses my 1080p screen fully, but also shows the game's graphics in the way they were supposed to be shown back in the DOS days.

If you choose not to do this aspect ratio correction, the optimal solution for showing a viewport close to the original on a 1920x1080 monitor is setting the game's resolution to 712x400 and stretching it to 1920x1080.

(Note that due to internal engine limitations, the width of the game must always be a multiple of 8 pixels)

Message 6 of 6 (725 Views)