Re: Cannot run Red Alert 2 (different reasons: Insert a CD)

by Yegard

Original Post

★★★★ Guide

Which version of the game are you running? Origin of CD-ROM?

Message 11 of 13 (1,457 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I ran into "insert cd" problem too, but I found a workaround! I noticed that if you have a optical drive connected, the game wants a CD.. I disconnected my Blu-Ray drive and voilá! Works like a charm with DDRAW.dll.

I hope this answer finds the people who need it.

Message 12 of 13 (987 Views)

★★ Novice

I have had  the Ultimate Collection (physical box but it's still just a download off Origin lol.... /sigh) since it released, just for the first two games on something other then my PS1 discs lol. Gone through hell trying to get C&C, Red alert, and Tiberian Sun to work right on my new Windows 10 laptop, then I come to Red Alert 2.... that wants a disc... off a DIGITAL VERSION. The guy above me got it right. If you have an external disc drive on your pc/laptop, unplug it. If you have one built in to the pc, go to Device Manager and try disabling it first. Re-enable when you're done with the game ( the whole game or after every play session, up to you) before you forget it's disabled... if disabling doesn't work, uninstall the drive. Windows should reinstall it on reboot. It did for me on Windows 7 when i had an unrelated odd issue.

And the post on the first page... deleting the license... don't bother. Doesn't work.

Weird how Yuri works w/o doing this but oh well...

Message 13 of 13 (783 Views)