CC Red Alert 2 / Yuri's Revenge Graphics Patch FIX! Windows 8/10

by WarCowboy11

Original Post

CC Red Alert 2 / Yuri's Revenge Graphics Patch FIX! Windows 8/10

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

This is the fix many of you are probably waiting for!

If you have downloaded origin's free release of CC Redalert 2 and Yuri's Revenge, but have a newer operating system like 8 or 10. Then you have most likely been getting freeze-ups and or slow play at very least.  So here you go friends>

The problem is the game bounces back and forth from virtual to physical RAM for graphics pulls.  That is most noticeable when there is a lot going on with large numbers of personnel and machines, load screens and movie excerpts.  For some reason, these newer OS types like windows 8-10 don't like that sort thing and can conflict and cause many rendering problems/crashes.

For me, I had freeze problems with Yuri's Revenge more than I did with RA2.

There is a patch however that will fix the issue using either game's EXE/application start up file.  I have provided a patch download link below.

Graphics Patch LINK

Do things in this order>

1 download the patch from the link above and extract (unzip) the file.

2 Make a new empty folder on your desktop and place the extracted file in there

Locate yuri's game EXE file/ AKA application.  It will be under C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Command and Conquer Red Alert II  The file is called gamemd The file is 4,704 KB

4 Right click on it and copy. You will then want to paste that file in the folder with the patch you created earlier on your desktop in step 2.

5 Now you will want to run the patch file and activate the patch. Its so quick and easy it is self explainable.

6 Once you have done that, you will now right click on the same EXE file and copy it once more.

7 Re-paste that file back where you got it from in step 3

8 Your all done. Things should now run really fast and smooth. No more freeze ups!

9 This can be done with both Yuri's Revenge EXE (gamemd) and you can also follow the exact same steps with EXE (game) to patch RED ALERT 2 as well.

Message 1 of 42 (323,038 Views)

Re: CC Red Alert 2 / Yuri's Revenge Graphics Patch FIX! Windows 8/10

★★★ Newbie

Thanks. It worked for me on Windows 8

Message 2 of 42 (321,302 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hi everyone!

I think I got it figured out what the problem is for the Red alert II/Yuri's Revenge. Along using the CC Red Alert 2 / Yuri's Revenge Graphics Patch FIX! Windows 8/10, I also used the compatibility program of Windows 10 built in the RA2MD.exe and the RA2.exe within the RA2 directory. By mistake I found out what works when I kept running the program until it worked with the compatibility program that Windows 10 offers by right-clicking on those 2 programs and trying the wizard, but you don't really have to do that! All you have to do after right-clicking properties on the RAMD.exe and RA2.exe applications in the RA2 folder and selecting the Compatibility tab, 2nd to the general tab, is click the box that says: (Compatibility mode / Run this program in compatibility mode for: ) and select on the drop down menu there: (Windows 7). Also select the box near the bottom: (Run this program as an administrator). I remembered eventually that these games worked very well for Windows 7, the last O.S. I OWNED! Do this the same way for the other application, close the directory or folder, and then try running the game. Hope this works and enjoy!!!

Message 3 of 42 (314,866 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I Used the graphics patch first and it didn't work, so to make it clear to everyone, you might want to try what I did first or do the patch first, then both, but what I did was easier, so let me know guys out there what works?! Thanks!!!

Message 4 of 42 (314,866 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I'm planning to apply your solution first. I hope this works.

By the way, is this applicable for Tiberian Sun too? It has a similar problem.

Thanks!

Message 5 of 42 (295,322 Views)

★★ Novice

I would use this method for Tiberium Sun - https://forums.cncnet.org/topic/2606-tiberian-sun-patches-fix-for-the-windows-8-10-menu-problems-and...

Worked like a charm and no crashes throughout both Tiberium Sun and Firestorm. 

Message 6 of 42 (280,600 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@K05T4

Well, if you look at the changes list, that actually includes the graphics patch mentioned here Wink

But yea, development hasn't been standing still since this was posted. We got more fixes and upgrades now.

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.
Message 7 of 42 (278,429 Views)

★★★ Newbie

The performance is good with this patch on Windows 10, but at ingame playing, the game sometimes loses the focus for some seconds, and don't respond to mouse clicks, the mouse cursor is also changed to the Windows one when this happens. Therefore, it is very difficult to win having this bug, do you think any way to fix or avoid this bug?

This happens in Yuri's Revenge 1.001 and Windows 10 Pro 32 bits.

Message 8 of 42 (275,934 Views)

★ Novice

I am having the same issuewith the nonresponsive mouse changing to the windows mouse.   I'm running windows 10 64 bit.   Anyone find a solution yet? 

Message 9 of 42 (274,671 Views)

★★★ Newbie
excelente... funciono para mi... +10
Message 10 of 42 (267,422 Views)