Re: CC Red Alert 2 / Yuri's Revenge Graphics Patch FIX! Windows 8/10

by darthtate007

Original Post

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

@Slipit1   ---  Worked for me on a new Origin install, except I had to use RA2MD.INI file.

Message 31 of 42 (6,179 Views)

★★★ Newbie

So hat es bei mir funktioniert auf Windows 10 (64Bit).

Da ich die Englische Version besitze habe ich noch die

Deutschen Video,- und Sounddateien im Spielverzeichnis

eingefügt als Letzen Schritt.

Erster Schritt:

1. Wenn Sie das Ultimate Collection-Paket von Alarmstufe Rot 2 von EA Origin heruntergeladen haben , müssen Sie möglicherweise auch die
Eigenschaften des Spiels in Origin anpassen.

2. Öffne Origin in Windows und klicke auf Meine Spiele.

3. Klicken Sie mit der rechten Maustaste auf Alarmstufe Rot 2, um Eigenschaften im Kontextmenü auszuwählen .

4.Daraufhin wird ein Fenster geöffnet, das ein Textfeld für Befehlszeilenargumente enthält. Geben Sie -Win in das Textfeld ein.
Wählen Sie im Fenster die Option Origin im Spiel für dieses Spiel deaktivieren und drücken Sie die Taste OK .

Zweiter Schritt:

game.ini und gamemd.ini in 1024x768 ändern !!! In 1920x1080 funktioniert es leider nicht dann einfach den Multiplayer CnCNet5_YR_Installer runderladen.

Dritter Schritt:

Erledige die Dinge in dieser Reihenfolge>

1 Laden Sie den Patch über den obigen Link herunter und extrahieren (entpacken) Sie die Datei.

2 Erstellen Sie einen neuen leeren Ordner auf Ihrem Desktop und legen Sie die extrahierte Datei dort ab

3 Suchen Sie Yuris Spiel-EXE-Datei/ AKA-Anwendung. Es befindet sich unter C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Command and Conquer Red Alert II
   Die Datei heißt gamemd Die Datei ist 4.704 KB groß

4 Klicken Sie mit der rechten Maustaste darauf und kopieren Sie. Sie möchten diese Datei dann in den Ordner mit dem Patch einfügen, den Sie zuvor
   in Schritt 2 auf Ihrem Desktop erstellt haben.

5 Jetzt möchten Sie die Patch-Datei ausführen und den Patch aktivieren. Es ist so schnell und einfach, dass es selbsterklärend ist.

6 Wenn Sie das getan haben, klicken Sie nun mit der rechten Maustaste auf dieselbe EXE-Datei und kopieren sie erneut.

7 Fügen Sie diese Datei wieder an der Stelle ein, von der Sie sie in Schritt 3 erhalten haben

8 Alles fertig. Die Dinge sollten jetzt wirklich schnell und reibungslos laufen. Kein Einfrieren mehr!

9 Dies kann sowohl mit Yuris Revenge EXE (gamemd) erfolgen, als auch genau den gleichen Schritten mit EXE (game) folgen, um auch RED ALERT 2 zu patchen.

Message 32 of 42 (5,339 Views)

★★★ Newbie

You have to go to the RA2 configuration file and chnage the settings manually. Then your game will load at 1024x768. 

C:/Program Files/Origin Games/Command and Conquer RAII/ RA2 (configuration settings) file type. 

this file will open as a notepad. 
scroll down to the following and input your desired screen resolution.…

[Video]
ScreenWidth=1024
ScreenHeight=768
StretchMovies=no

hit save. And start the game. 
enjoy!

Message 33 of 42 (5,010 Views)

★★ Novice

I bought the C&C Collection after waiting to see if they would announce the Red Alert 2 remaster, however that seems unlikely. I wasn’t fully prepared for how “low effort” the Origin C&C collection would be.

So I installed RA2 and straight away I saw that things were a bit janky. When I attempted to change the resolution to the default highest which is 1024 X 768 the screen shifted all the way to the left and the colours looked like they went into some kind of CGA mode, awful. So I had to alt and tab out and force the game closed.

After doing a bit of reading on the web I discovered that you can just ini hack the RA2.ini file to your monitor’s resolution, however when I did that (1920 X 1200) the game ran like a complete dog, like a slideshow. So I read some more online and then discovered this patch, which I then installed and whilst it does help and speed the game up, I am unsure if it results in the same game speed as vanilla RA2. When I loaded up a skirmish the units were zipping around like a Benny Hill sketch almost as if the time / progress relationship of the game had been broken, within 10 seconds a bunch of AI tanks were on me and I was dead. I found I had to knock the game speed down to 5 (or fast as per in game options). I found out that in the ini file it lists game speed and for some reason the numbers are different, if you leave the value as 0 it will play at the fastest it can, but if you enter 1, it results in game speed 5 or “fast”. Screen scrolling seems to stay at the same speed regardless of menu setting BTW.

The game is at least playable now, it’s still really creaky, pauses a little and seems like it could break down at any moment like a 40 year old car. Its just a shame that EA thinks this is an acceptable way to present one of the most beloved franchises in gaming history. Bearing in mind the community fixes put in place, it would take minimal effort on the behalf of EA to get the package patched up to run without all these hoops to jump through.

Gaming on a;
i5 8700K
32GB RAM
1070ti
Win 10 64bit

Message 34 of 42 (4,560 Views)

Hero
@Salamander The game speed in the ini file is actually not a "speed" setting, but a "delay between game ticks" setting, meaning it's inverted. 0 means no delay, a higher value means more delay between actions, meaning the game slows down. In fact, in C&C1 I've experimenting with "overclocking" it, making the game run in super-slow-motion, allowing me to manipulate the start of the game in some missions to a extent I could save stuff that was 100% meant to get destroyed. (This doesn't tend to work in later games since they actually have scripting to forcibly destroy stuff)

Not sure why you're calling the remasters low effort, though. They're pretty much exactly what was expected. Original gameplay, updated UI and graphics, and a huge ton of extras.

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.
Message 35 of 42 (4,503 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Thanks for the reply @Nyerguds Nyerguds

I think you may have misunderstood my post. I didn't state that the 2020 remaster of C&C and Red Alert was low effort, I loved it and thought it was perfectly done. What I was saying was that the C&C Collection on Origin was "low effort" as the games now just barely run and are full of bugs and issues when running on modern OS's. Granted the great community has stepped up and provided ways to work around those, but its still poor from EA to leave them in the state they are in. 

Message 36 of 42 (4,486 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@Salamander Oh, oof. Yea, I misread that.

Yea, TUC is basically just the newer games combined with the old First Decade pack, without any real updates since TFD was released 15 years ago. The main issue here though is mostly that these games are ancient, and EA probably doesn't even have the full source code for a lot of them, meaning it would cost them a lot more money to try to maintain them than would ever be worth it to them. And meanwhile, the C&C community has already done loads of work digging into these old games for modding and patching purposes.

So it's a bit of a tradeoff... EA turns a blind eye to all those C&C community projects that undoubtedly play it pretty loosely with the EA EULAs by digging into the games' internals, but in return, they, and not EA, are kind of the ones keeping the games functional.

It's not ideal... but it works.

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.
Message 37 of 42 (4,443 Views)

★★ Novice

I had already installed the gfx patch and saw an improvement, but last night I installed the dwrapper patch also and it seemed smoother still. Not sure if it was a placebo effect or not but after doing both, things are running smoother now.

RA2 GFX patch

https://answers.ea.com/t5/C-C-The-Ultimate-Collection/CC-Red-Alert-2-Yuri-s-Revenge-Graphics-Patch-F...

ddwrapper RA2 patch

https://answers.ea.com/t5/C-C-The-Ultimate-Collection/I-can-t-play-Red-Alert-2-with-4k-screen-change...

Message 38 of 42 (4,404 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I am having an unrelated issue.

The colors on my screen are like 256bit colors from win 95...

I tried applying the graphics patch but it remains the same.

When I hit ESC to abort, the mouse no longer responds.

Please help!

Message 39 of 42 (3,328 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Applying the patch and compatibility worked for me! Thank you!

Message 40 of 42 (3,318 Views)