C&C Zero Hour Not working on EA App

by WinRateGaming

Original Post

Accepted Solution

C&C Zero Hour Not working on EA App

★★ Novice

Since installing the EA App I am unable to complete the download of and install "C&C Generals and Zero Hour". The download reaches 99%, prepares to install, reaches 42% then the error in the screenshot pops up. I have uninstalled and deleted all associated files, re-downloaded/re-installed, re-installed the EA App, Cleared the EA App Cache under "Recovery". I have sucessfully downloaded other C&C games with no issues. This exact error is popping up for people playing "dead space 1" too.

Message 1 of 27 (14,561 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: C&C Zero Hour Not working on EA App

★★★ Newbie

Hmm.  It looks like my instructions weren't very clear.  I'll try to explain better:

First, try to install the game as before, and when you get the error in the EA App, leave it as "paused", don't cancel it.

Then, open command prompt as administrator, which I think you did.

Next, type the following, but don't press enter until you've typed it all in:

cd C:\Program Files\EA Games\Command and Conquer Generals Zero Hour\__Installer

You can copy this and paste it by right-clicking in the command prompt.

If you did it right, it should either change the directory, or give the following error.  If you get this error, then the install path is not correct, or it wasn't typed properly. 

The system cannot find the path specified.

If you get the error that "C:\program is not recognized..." then the command was missing the "cd" before it.

If it worked right, then the next line should read:

C:\Program Files\EA Games\Command and Conquer Generals Zero Hour\__Installer>

Then, copy and paste the following, but again, put it all in before pressing enter:

touchup.exe install -locale en_US -installPath "C:\Program Files\EA Games\Command and Conquer Generals Zero Hour" -autologging

If your locale is not en_US, you may have to change it, otherwise this should work.  Then you just resume the download in the EA App and it will finish the installation.

If you're still getting errors, then maybe attach the screenshot of command prompt.  But I hope this is clear.

View in thread

Message 5 of 27 (14,454 Views)

All Replies

★★★★★ Newbie

Exact same problem.

I tried all the troubleshooting I found, nothing works.

I am using Win10, EA App with EA Play through XBOX Game Pass. So I can't use Origin to cross chec.

I also tried a new user on my PC without OneDrive as suggested in one post, but this also did not work...

Message 2 of 27 (14,511 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Had same problem.  Turns out the issue is that the installer isn't elevating privileges properly, so several registry related operations fail. The fix for me was to run command prompt as administrator, navigate to the __installer folder, and run the following, using your correct install path of course.

touchup.exe install -locale en_US -installPath "C:\Program Files\EA Games\Command and Conquer Generals Zero Hour" -autologging

Then the EA App should be able to finish the installation properly, and you can play!

Hopefully EA fixes this soon, but in the mean time this solution appears to work.

Message 3 of 27 (14,487 Views)

★★ Novice

Thank you for the help! However when i type in your command letter for letter (same install location) I receive back:
"'\Program' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file." 

This is stated even if I change the file path to start "/EA Games/" etc. 

Message 4 of 27 (14,462 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hmm.  It looks like my instructions weren't very clear.  I'll try to explain better:

First, try to install the game as before, and when you get the error in the EA App, leave it as "paused", don't cancel it.

Then, open command prompt as administrator, which I think you did.

Next, type the following, but don't press enter until you've typed it all in:

cd C:\Program Files\EA Games\Command and Conquer Generals Zero Hour\__Installer

You can copy this and paste it by right-clicking in the command prompt.

If you did it right, it should either change the directory, or give the following error.  If you get this error, then the install path is not correct, or it wasn't typed properly. 

The system cannot find the path specified.

If you get the error that "C:\program is not recognized..." then the command was missing the "cd" before it.

If it worked right, then the next line should read:

C:\Program Files\EA Games\Command and Conquer Generals Zero Hour\__Installer>

Then, copy and paste the following, but again, put it all in before pressing enter:

If your locale is not en_US, you may have to change it, otherwise this should work.  Then you just resume the download in the EA App and it will finish the installation.

If you're still getting errors, then maybe attach the screenshot of command prompt.  But I hope this is clear.

Message 5 of 27 (14,455 Views)

★★ Novice

Thank you so much! You have given me back a game that I haven't played since my childhood! I shall be using this weekend to play it over LAN with my brother. We're close to our 30s now but as children we grew up playing the C&C series and desperately wanted to VS one another again. Thank you!

Message 6 of 27 (14,432 Views)

★★★★ Novice

To future forum-dwellers: This problem is now also fixed by GenPatcher. Standard smile

Message 7 of 27 (14,245 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

THANK YOU!! This worked perfectly fine. Awesome!

Message 8 of 27 (14,211 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@StarJekker Worked perfectly, Thank you very much!
Message 9 of 27 (14,171 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Thanks bro 

Message 10 of 27 (14,158 Views)