C&C: Generals / Zero Hour - Windows10 x64 Freezes every 10seconds

by JasinskiMetal

Original Post

Accepted Solution

C&C: Generals / Zero Hour - Windows10 x64 Freezes every 10seconds

★★ Novice

Ok, so I have this very odd problem with Command and Conquer: Generals / Zero Hour on Windows10 x64 latest and greatest patches.

So here's the issue... The game launches fine... everything works fine... but every tens seconds, like clock work, it freezes for 8seconds ( I used a stop watch to time it, it's very consistent). The mouse still moves, the audio still plays, but the video locks and none of the menu options work. This happens in the intro movie, the main title screen and in game. I've tried several different video settings, various resolutions etc etc. I've never had this problem with Windows7 (same hardware). The initial issue was discovered using my original CDs a few months back. I pretty much gave up on the game (which is sad b/c it's my favorite). Then EA had a sale for the Ultimate bundle and I bought that. The game worked fine for a week or two then boom, right back to the freezing issue. No other games I play have this problem... and various games from Origin and other manufactures work fine. Seems to only be C&C:G/ZH

I'm a windows administrator and haven been around PC and working on PCs for well over 30yrs (showing my age, lol). I simply can not figure out what the problem is with this game. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-Steve

Message 1 of 16 (17,309 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: C&C: Generals / Zero Hour - Windows10 x64 Freezes every 10seconds

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

@CDN_Dissident

The engine used in Generals is very unoptimized, and freezing issues were a thing even since the game was first released. You can minimize the performance issues by installing GenTool.

As for RA2/YR, please follow the "Handling Red Alert 2 and Yuri’s Revenge on Windows 8 / 8.1 / 10" section in this guide: http://www.cncnz.com/features/technical-support-help-guides/installing-command-conquer-red-alert-2-y...

These are quite old games, so issues are always to be expected.

View in thread

Message 5 of 16 (17,536 Views)

All Replies

★ Novice

I also have Windows 10 x64 and am trying to run Generals/Zero Hour from the Ultimate Collection, but am having trouble getting past the launching screen. Did you just install the game and it worked, or did you have to change the games configuration to get it to work? 

Message 2 of 16 (17,233 Views)

★★ Novice

I just installed it and it worked... the freezing problem seems to be intermittent.

Message 3 of 16 (17,223 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

I am also getting the same start/stop temporary freeze problem. I tried a fresh install and it is still there.

ETA and Yuri's revenge is just showing a black screen. Why did I pay $20 for this? I'm just going to play Starcraft.

Message 4 of 16 (16,909 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

@CDN_Dissident

The engine used in Generals is very unoptimized, and freezing issues were a thing even since the game was first released. You can minimize the performance issues by installing GenTool.

As for RA2/YR, please follow the "Handling Red Alert 2 and Yuri’s Revenge on Windows 8 / 8.1 / 10" section in this guide: http://www.cncnz.com/features/technical-support-help-guides/installing-command-conquer-red-alert-2-y...

These are quite old games, so issues are always to be expected.

Message 5 of 16 (17,537 Views)

★★ Novice

Tried pretty much everything. Issues still persist. Random temporary freeze/Not Responding. Every 25-30 seconds freezes for 25-30 seconds. 

Message 6 of 16 (16,865 Views)

★★ Guide

@CDN_Dissident

Define "nearly everything".

Message 7 of 16 (16,859 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Updated drivers for 1070.

Tried both my screens individually.

Tried compatibility modes.

Tried GenTools (played with settings)

Tried (unsuccessfully) to play in windowed mode.

Combinations of the above.

Now that I think about it, one of my peripherals was causing a weird issue with MGSV, so I'll try to unplug all the extra USB stuff and see if that does anything.

On the positive side of things, I tried it on my laptop and it works flawlessly. So this issue is for sure tied to my PC somehow. 

ETA: Unplugging all extra USB connections did not resolve the issue.

Message 8 of 16 (16,853 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

I have this problem too, did you solve it?

I really love this game but like this it is unplayable.

Message 9 of 16 (16,227 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Same issue here. Tried to write a ticket.. No answer......

Message 10 of 16 (14,869 Views)