by CnCPlayer60

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Mission Select Feature not working for Red Alert Remastered

★ Novice

Product: Command & Conquer Remastered
Platform:Steam-PC
Summarize your bug Mission Select Feature not working for Red Alert Remastered
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? The "installation" screen happens every time I boot the game up and all my hotkeys have defaulted back to normal
What happens when the bug occurs? I lose all my progress.
What do you expect to see? The mission select function should work like it does in Tiberium Dawn

I started playing Red Alert again after a short hiatus. I completed one the Allied missions, and after going on to the next mission, I saved and exited to main menu. Then went to the mission select, and noticed that only three missions were on the list: The first one, the one I just completed, and next mission after that. So I restarted the game and checked the mission list again, and now only the first mission is available.

Message 1 of 6 (1,275 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Mission Select Feature not working for Red Alert Remastered

★★ Apprentice
@CnCPlayer60 Hey I replied earlier, but it got marked as spam. Not sure why. Anyways, I posted the solution in other posts on the forum. Hopefully you can find it. Let me know if it works for you.

View in thread

Message 3 of 6 (1,203 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

I'm having this problem as well. 

Lots of posts talk about Antivirus software blocking the folder, or the savegames need to be cleared from the cloud. Both were not applicable to me.
Settings worked fine in TD, but RA was not working.

However, I think I have an idea of what is going on.

It seems that when you have Cloud Saves disabled in Steam, TD doesn't quite honor that (? not sure). So I ended up finding the TD savegames and the player settings under a different folder than my RA save games. (A sidenote: some TD savegames seemed to be saving in the same directory as the RA savegames, but not all). 

Maybe the latest update (as of 7//28/2020...about a few weeks ago I think EDIT: looks like the update from around 7/15) "fixed" the issue with the Cloud saves, and inadvertently cause the problem with RA. Unfortunately, I don't know how to resolve it (still missing the Player_RA_settings_1.bin)...but hopefully this info can help EA narrow down the actual bug. 

I am going to try enabling Cloud Save temporarily to see if it fixes the problem.

EDIT: Tracing the problem, it does seem like it was due to the update. So if you had Cloud Save disabled, after the update it tried to add the Player settings files (one for TD and one for RA) to the My Documents/CnCRemastered folder. Formerly, it was saving in the Cloud Save folder regardless of the setting in your Steam client (Steam/userdata/<a number>/1213210/remote). However, I think EA's patch did not take into account that the folder under My Documents may be read-only after installation... so when it tried to update with new files, it did not allow the files to be added. If you were to verify the integrity of your files via Steam, it will say that 2 files are missing then try to download it for you. But the files will not take, and if you verify again, it will say that 2 files are missing still. I think those are the Player Settings files for TD and RA that were used to fix the non-Cloud Saves problem. I am currently trying to figure out how to disable the read-only attribute for the My Documents/CnCRemastered folder so that those files can be correctly added after verifying the files through Steam.

EDIT2: By some magic I got it to work. Not sure exactly what did it but here is what I did that I THINK fixed it.
Under the Steam/userdata/<a number>/1213210/remote folder, I deleted all the savegame files, leaving the save_game folder empty. From there, I went up to the 1213210 folder and edited the remotecache.vdf file to remove all the data within the first set of curly braces leaving "1213210" { } 

"1213210"
{
}

Then I closed the steam client completely (including the desktop tray). This is important, because Steam will keep the old content of the remotecache file in memory. From there, I started the game and loaded/played a level. Exited the game. Checked the remotecache file to see if the new Player_RA_settings_1.bin file was added, then opened the game again to see if it remembered my settings. For me it worked.  

Message 2 of 6 (1,152 Views)

★★ Apprentice
@CnCPlayer60 Hey I replied earlier, but it got marked as spam. Not sure why. Anyways, I posted the solution in other posts on the forum. Hopefully you can find it. Let me know if it works for you.
Message 3 of 6 (1,204 Views)

★ Novice
@TTKei Thanks! I'll give this a try this weekend and let you know if it works out.
Message 4 of 6 (1,176 Views)

★ Novice

@TTKei

I tried your solution out and I got it working!  Thanks a ton!  I don't know how you figured it out, but my mission select feature is working again.  

Message 5 of 6 (1,116 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Awesome! Glad it worked for you.
And thanks for letting me know!

Message 6 of 6 (1,065 Views)