Harvesters and Ore Trucks have broken

by GENERALZOOL

Original Post

Harvesters and Ore Trucks have broken

★ Pro

Product: Command & Conquer Remastered
Platform:PC
Summarize your bug Since the Update, the Harvesters and Ore Trucks now search for a Cell of Highest Value. Problem is, they will ignore cells that have a low Value.
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Play Diamonds Aren't Forever, that is where the issue is most noticeable.
What happens when the bug occurs? Ore Truck will willing travel over 64 Cells away, just for a Cell that has Diamonds on it that are of High Value. Ignoring the most Local Cell even though it has Diamonds on it, just because they're only worth 50.
What do you expect to see? A Harvester should search the local area to determine a ore field.

If I had the job of making the Algorithm for the Harvesters better, I'd make it so it searched the Local Cells. Example: IF Next Local Cell (Top) is worth Less-Than Next Local Cell (Right), then go to Next Local Cell (Right).

Message 1 of 8 (1,255 Views)

Re: Harvesters and Ore Trucks have broken

★ Pro
The Code should of not equated to:
IF Next Local Cell has Value Lower than X, THEN Scan for Next Closest Available Cell of Value Higher than X. Setting Scan Range to 256 (MAX Range).
This means that the Harvester actively ignore Cells that have a low Value, meaning if you want to build anywhere, that you have to babysit your Harvester every Cell of the way.

The Algorithm should have been something like:
IF Current Cell has been Harvested, THEN Scan Local Immediate Cells (N/NE/E/SE/S/SW/W/NW) for Highest Value Cell, IF all are equal value, calculate Harvester Facing Angle to Logical Cell.

This would mean a Harvester would move to the Cell Closest to the Harvester that had the Highest Value. Assuming that all of the Local Immediate Cells have equal value, and the Harvester is Facing South, then the Harvester would Move South. If all of the Local Immediate Cells were empty, then it could reset Scanning Range to the next Tier of Local Cells. None of this going 64 Cells away or more, even though there is Valuable Cells right next to the Harvester.
Message 2 of 8 (1,246 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@GENERALZOOL wrote:
What happens when the bug occurs? Ore Truck will willing travel over 64 Cells away, just for a Cell that has Diamonds on it that are of High Value. Ignoring the most Local Cell even though it has Diamonds on it, just because they're only worth 50.

Ow. That's not supposed to happen, no Disappointed

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.
Message 3 of 8 (1,202 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@GENERALZOOL 

Hang on, what exactly is your issue there?

If it's the harvester stopping, I think this may be due to the fact you have no silos.

Harvesters can't unload if all your storage is full. This is completely unrelated to the new harvest logic.

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.
Message 4 of 8 (1,157 Views)

★★ Novice
@Nyerguds The problem is they will ignore ore close to base, and go searching for ore in otherside of map of its worth more per square. Island hopper is terrible for it
Message 5 of 8 (1,120 Views)

Hero

@KNIGHT2216a 

Yea, I've seen some more videos of the issue since then. It's clearly a problem. I brought it up with the dev team.

Message 6 of 8 (1,097 Views)

★ Pro
@Nyerguds
I hope it's resolved soon, it's getting my Harvesters/Ore Trucks killed. LOL.
Message 7 of 8 (1,078 Views)

★ Apprentice

I can confirm this bug. Many times after the refinery was built the Ore truck didn't start to search for ore fields. And yet it was close to the base. Also when you have multiple trucks they kinda fail to get properly into the refinery if they are very close of each other... Sometimes you have to get one of them away to let others make their ore delivery.

Message 8 of 8 (945 Views)